Thames water letter re meter - Jan 2019

Options
Hi all, advice please.

My parents have received a letter this month stating that they urgently need to contact Thames water to arrange a visit for a water meter.

If not then they will be moved to 'a higher no access charge'

They live in a semi detached Victorian house which shares the water supply with the adjoining house.

Can they be forced into this?

Comments

• es5595
    es5595 Posts: 380 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No, I imagine they want to come out and update their records.

If it’s a shared supply they can’t put a meter on it, but this visit and “consenting to have a meter” (despite the fact they can’t) means they’ll have a lowered bill.

My brother has this in his Victorian terrace, the water pipes ran under the houses, so there was nowhere meters could be fitted. As they consented to have a meter, their bills were put at a “average” for other similar metered houses. Their neighbours who didn’t consent (because they’d have a previous visit and knew they could not have a meter fitted) were put on the higher rate for a while.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    There are areas covered by Thames water where meters are compulsory.

https://www.thameswater.co.uk/my-account/water-meters/more-information/frequently-asked-questions

What legal powers do you have to fit the meter?

We have the right to fit meters under the Water Industry Act 1991 section 162, under our Resources Management Plan for 2015 - 2040. This act grants permission for water companies to meter domestic premises on a compulsory basis in areas which have been determined by the Secretary of State to be of serious water stress (this includes our region). We will always try to fit your meter outside where we can. However, in some cases this may not be possible, so we’d need to fit your meter inside your property. We will make an appointment with you to do this.

If a meter cannot be fitted for any reason, you will be offered an assessed rate.
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yeah, some years ago, I asked for a meter, but Thames Water couldn't find the stopcock. They put me on an average rating which I was pleased with.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure