Real Life MMD: My son broke boy's glasses - should I pay?

Options

Comments

• jolly_lion
    Options
    Yes, you should pay.

This is criminal damage - you're lucky your fighting child hasn't been brought before a youth court.

As others have said, if there's bullying, get it seen to - but don't use it as an excuse to get you out of the original incident.

If they want you to pay half, ask to see a receipt, then pay it.
  • gemmaj
    gemmaj Posts: 434 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It doesn't say how old the child is. My 3 year old has glasses and so far has lost 1 pair and had another trodden on by another child (my childs fault for putting her glasses on the floor). I don't blame her because she is young, and these things happen. I have always accepted that at that age the glasses are not "for life", and wouldn't expect anyone else to contribute for accidents which were inevitable - unless done maliciously, which isn't the case in this article.

ISAMad, what if you stop looking at it as a benefit for parents and instead look at it as the government looking after the child? Irrespective of income and how easily they could afford it, some parents would not buy glasses for their children - unfortunately just because you can have a child doesn't mean you will be a responsible parent. I always thought this was the government safeguarding children's health in case the parents don't. Mind you, I say this as someone who doesn't live in England and couldn't get free glasses by the way.
  • barshamhillbilly
    Options
    Both children were at school and the school had responsibility for them at the time. Therefore, apart from the fact that children get free glasses anyway, the children were not being supervised correctly so the school are responsible.... if anyone....... Just my humble opinion :D
    :) Embrace your inner Hillbilly :)
  • Bob_Robinson
    Options
    The child clearly knew the glasses were faulty, so should have known that they would break.
    I am disgusted that an older sibling was used to bully your Son to get money from you. For that reason alone I would not pay and have strong words with the parents.

Both my Brother and I ware glasses and have done since we were small, accidents happen we certainly did not demand money though threatening words or behavior to get them repaired or replaced if broken by a friend or other person.

It was an unfortunate accident, which any parent with children who ware glasses can expect to happen at some point.

Good Luck
  • A.Jones
    A.Jones Posts: 508 Forumite
    Options
    As the glasses are old and have been broken before, I wouldn't pay anything. To me, it sounds like a nice little earner they have got going. Get into a play fight, break the glasses and claim half their value from the parents with the threat of bullying from an older brother. Repair them, get into another play fight, break them, claim half their value ...

I'd inform the school that you are not paying, and that you will be contacting the Police and Ofsted about the bullying if it is allowed to continue.
  • Ebenezer_Screwj
    Options
    The school was correct, both boys were being stupid and stupidity has consequences. Pay your half and withhold your son's pocket money accordingly.
  • joehoover
    joehoover Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Quite suprising many people think it is the schools problem as they were in charge at the time. Your parenting responsibilities don't end when you drop your child at the school gates. Yes kids fight but here is a chance to teach them a lesson that they will suffer for damage caused, tell them this will come from their allowance. They may think about their actions more in the future if they can see the consequences of it.

This is a bit invalid when you consider that the glasses should be free anyway so there is the issue that you are being scammed in which case you should pay nothing, but don't overlook the lesson you have to teach, otherwise you are telling them it is ok to fight and damage property.

It is not the schools repsonsibility to teach children right from worng, it is not TV's responsibility, some parents forget this, it is up to you to teach your children, everyone else fills in the gaps but you are the moral compass, this is all on your shoulders.
  • lozza10127
    Options
    Children's glasses are free, NHS glasses are not like they were when I was a kid and they are now really trendy so there is no reason why the boys parents should be paying for glasses, I think it's a con.
  • minerva_windsong
    Options
    I've worn glasses since I was five and got my eye tests and basic glasses paid for on the NHS up until I was 19, so I wouldn't offer to pay for something that doesn't need paying for - if the kid wants designer glasses or needs fancy lenses then his parents should be covering that cost. However, I'd get your son to bake some cakes or biscuits and write a note to say sorry, and send that over as a goodwill gesture.
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister
    Married my best friend 1st November 2014
    Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
  • ShirleyJ
    Options
    I work in an opticians and it sounds as if someone is trying to rip you off. Children's glasses can always be replaced free of charge on an NHS voucher. The only time I would expect someone to have to pay anything towards a replacement pair would be if they chose a designer frame.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure