Internet Telephony: Completely Free Calls Worldwide Article Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• lorac_3
    Options
    I have read your emials with interest . I make regular calls to Southern Ireland and it is costing me a fortune. What you talk about sounds really good. How best can I save money through PC to mobile or pc to pc it all sounds very complicated to a novice like me.:confused:
  • irrelevant
    irrelevant Posts: 257 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don't know how mnay of you know, but betamax is a voip provider that run approximately 24 different brands, each with their own unique pricing. Some kind person maintains a comparison site at http://backsla.sh/betamax which I've found very useful.

For the poster above, this shows that you can get calls to Bangladesh (landlines only) completely FREE via their 'lowratevoip.com' brand.

Most of their brands offer calls to Ireland free.

(Free calls are usually granted after you top up some credit, and last for 90 days or so. For me, with voipcheap.com, it costs me £10 every three or four months, and that easilly covers all my chargeable calls too, eg to mobiles, 08*, etc. too!)

You don't need to use a PC, although most of their brands provide custom software if you want to be tied to your desk. You can use an adapter that connects your normal phone direct to your router. Some routers have one built in!

Alternatively, some brands' websites allow you to specify your phone number and any other number, and they'll call you both and connect you together - nothing special needed at all!

Rob
  • BexTech
    BexTech Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    Options
    irrelevant wrote: »
    I don't know how mnay of you know, but betamax is a voip provider that run approximately 24 different brands, each with their own unique pricing. Some kind person maintains a comparison site at http://backsla.sh/betamax which I've found very useful.

Yeah, gets mentioned on here quite often, however I'm sure newer posters don't go back through previous threads, so it's always good to see it pop up again.
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    lorac wrote: »
    I make regular calls to Southern Ireland and it is costing me a fortune.
    Even using a normal phone, it shouldn't be costing you more than 0.5p or 1p per minute to call Ireland - see HERE.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • mousehole1
    Options
    Has anyone out there tried this? It looks like Jajah (which I´ve just registered for and looks great) but seems that it can be used also from mobiles (which you currently can´t use on Jajah in UK or Europe) at great rates!!

I´ll be checking it out but wondered if anyone else has any experience of it. I can´t find mention of it anywhere on the MSE site.

Thanks!!
  • jhp
    jhp Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    Options
    mousehole1 wrote: »
    Has anyone out there tried this? It looks like Jajah (which I´ve just registered for and looks great) but seems that it can be used also from mobiles (which you currently can´t use on Jajah in UK or Europe) at great rates!!

I´ll be checking it out but wondered if anyone else has any experience of it. I can´t find mention of it anywhere on the MSE site.

Thanks!!

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=449975&highlight=mobivox
  • scotleag
    Options
    Some time ago I took out a Skype Pro subscription which promised 'free' calls to landlines (except for a 3p connection charge). I thought this looked like a bargain. However I soon found that my calls were still being charged by the minute so all calls were in effect 3p + x per min.

When I challenged Skype over this their explanation was that I wasn't using a static IP address and in such instances their normal rates applied. Since virtually no individual has a fixed IP address this means the vast majority of non-corporate Skype users will be affected by this.

Skype refunded three months Skype Pro subscription but refused to backdate the refunds to when I signed up. I pointed out to them that it's next to impossible for individuals to have static IP addresses and that surely they should be aware of this. I also pointed out that there is no mention anywhere in their t&c of this extra charge on usage.

I thought it might be useful to post on this site to let people know about these charges if considering subscribing to Skype Pro.
  • XXXX
    XXXX Posts: 157 Forumite
    Options
    mousehole1 wrote: »

Thanks!!
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=224679&highlight=jajah
    Vodafone sucks. :mad:
  • robot1000
    robot1000 Posts: 270 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    https://www.nonoh.net

Is cheaper then Jajah
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Last time I used Jajah it could also be used from mobiles... either by calling an access number or using a plug-in downloaded to your mobile to activate the call. I'm not sure I'd recommend it though... last time I tried using a Jajah access number Jajah charged me for both legs of the call, even though I was already paying for the call to the access number. A query to their support address was not answered, so I stopped using that service.

I second the recommendation for Nonoh above. It is generally cheaper than Jajah and works well for me. It's also very flexible - you can use it via access numbers, via a callback service or via a VoIP client on your PC. I hae settled with Nonoh as my main provider at the moment because it is cheap to my main call destinations (Spain landline and mobile), but I also know that if I need to call a different country it will give me a reasonable rate, even if it's not the absolute cheapest.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills