CTC/WTC and UC

Would I be right in thinking that there can be no new claims to CTC/WTC and UC must be claimed instead? But there are still people claiming CTC/WTC and they will be move to UC eventually?

Comments

• Yes, pretty much.

Though some new claims to legacy benefits will be allowed if they are in receipt of the Severe Disability Premium
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    BriNylon wrote: »
    Would I be right in thinking that there can be no new claims to CTC/WTC and UC must be claimed instead? But there are still people claiming CTC/WTC and they will be move to UC eventually?

As sheepski says there are some limited circumstances in which a new Tax Credits claim can be made.

Also worth noting that if somebody gets WTC only they can add CTC to it (and similarly add WTC to an existing CTC only award).

Currently all Tax Credits claimants are due to be transferred to UC by the end of 2023 (although obviously things may change before then). For people with savings/assets over £16,000 the rule that excludes them from UC will be ignored for 12 months but there will be people who currently get Tax Credits who will be excluded from UC after that 12 month period.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • UKSBD
    UKSBD Posts: 797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Do we know the date when people receiving child tax credits will be moved on to Universal Credit?

I've read that there is pilot involving up to 10,000 people who will be moved between July 2019 and July 2020 but are there any other dates published anywhere yet apart from them saying between July 2019 and December 2023?
  • calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 18 November 2019 at 11:40PM
    UKSBD wrote: »
    Do we know the date when people receiving child tax credits will be moved on to Universal Credit?

As I stated in post #3 the current target is for everyone to be transferred to UC by the end of 2023 but this may change. Every target associated with UC so far has been missed.
    https://revenuebenefits.org.uk/universal-credit/guidance/existing-tax-credit-claimants/managed-migration/
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure