Tummy bugs on holiday UPDATE Shigella post 57

Comments

• Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    blues wrote: »
    So other guests not using hand sanitiser wouldn’t have been the culprit here?

No, not if it was that.

But I think it’s bad practice on the hotels part not to push the hand hygiene the way the sensatori did.
  • Kim_kim
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    At least if you go to Torremolinos, and get sick for 3 days, it hasn't cost you ££££, for the privilege!!!!;);)

Fair point!!! Never fancied Torremolinos though!
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,150 Forumite
    Going as far as the Caribbean and not going outside the hotel doesn't compute with me, but maybe I'm different.

Anywhere where you've got a hundreds and hundreds of people in the same place eg a hotel is a recipe for getting ill because of how easily stomach bugs are spread.

More worrying, you say you got it on the Sunday, were there for a week, and that you've still got it which means you flew home while you were at the most infectious stage so could have given it to a lot of other people as well.

Very true but it only takes one person to contact food poisoning to spread it to others even if only two or three of you if not carefull.:eek:
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • We used to vacation a lot in Mexico (it's easy for us Canadians to get there).

What you are forgetting is tomatoes, fruits, salad items, are all grown locally. No matter how much you wash them, you can't kill the bacteria in them. They are grown locally using local water.

The DR has a horrible reputation for people getting sick. The hygiene is not great. Doesn't matter if it's 5 or 2*.

Been to Cancun twice, 5* both times. Both times by day 4 sicker than a dog that basically lasted until the flight home. PV? Three times, sick once.

Jamaica? Stayed at Sandals. No problems.

Morocco? Three days and I was done. Hospitalized in Spain with a bacterial infection. IV antibiotics, the whole shebang. Lost 25lbs in less than a weeks.

Hand sanitizer is horrible. Soap and water is the way to go. I have to use hand sanitizer at work. People don't use it properly. Wiping it around your hands isn't the way to use it. You have to rub it in and massage it into the nailbeds, etc. All it's done is increase the prevalence of superbugs.
    The former wondercollie
  • lovesgshp
    lovesgshp Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Tummy bugs on holiday are nothing new.
    The first I had was in Tunisia in the early 70's. 2 days out of action!!
    Next in Saudi Arabia where I worked, but a couple of pills from the local chemist soon got rid of that!!
    Worst was on the Comores Islands at the Galwa Beach hotel A1. Electric went off for about 8 hours, but as we were out exploring we did not know. Wife went down first and insisted we had a injection of something I cannot remember the name of, but think it was something like voltan A, which her deceased German husband who was a doctor had recommended when they went to Africa.
    Would always try to avoid AI hotels and eat outside with the locals whenever possible.
    As Manuel says in Fawlty Towers: " I Know Nothing"
  • Kim_kim
    edited 19 November 2019 at 8:43PM
    My daughters results come back - she has Shigella

Apparently it’s a notifyable bacteria to the department of health for England and she’ll be receiving a copy of the letter the hospital/doctors sends.

It takes a day or two for symptoms to start, symptoms started on Sunday afternoon so it could have been anything we ate from Friday dinner time really!

I’ll get in touch with TUI - it’s important they know about this.
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,942 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Kim_kim wrote: »
    My daughters results come back - she has Shigella

Apparently it’s a notifyable bacteria to the department of health for England and she’ll be receiving a copy of the letter the hospital/doctors sends.

It takes a day or two for symptoms to start, symptoms started on Sunday afternoon so it could have been anything we ate from Friday dinner time really!

I’ll get in touch with TUI - it’s important they know about this.

Yuk!

That went around my son's school many years ago. Spreads like wild fire and not regularly washing hands is the main concern.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,742 Forumite
    There was an article in our local paper about a sickness bug and the main carrier had been human faeces. People not washing their hands after toilet.
  • Not good, but that means you mixed with people in the hotel and did fly home while you were infectious. That is not good either.

It isn't food poisoning though. It's spread from the faeces of a person that has it. It could be from touching utensils or anything else that has become contaminated by it, either by staff or tourists both in the hotel or on the flight, and including food that has been washed in a contaminated water source, or from another person that has it. Incubation is typically 1 -3 days, but can take a week.
  • iwb100
    iwb100 Posts: 614 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Given the diagnosis is Shigella - which causes dysentry - whilst its possibly from food - it usually would only come from something someone has handled that is uncooked. So for example a slice of cheese. Its possible.

More likely that this is from the shower water/swimming pool or some other source of water. This is the usual transmission. Especially in a hotel. Someone has it - gets into the swimming pool before they are fully better and MOST of these AI hotels don't use enough chlorine to kill off bacteria quickly enough. Hence something like this spreads very rapidly. It also could have been from ice - a dirty glass - brushing teeth - virtually anything. But usually its water based. It can come from food, but would need handling of uncooked food and that isn't impossible - but if it was hotel prep at fault - you'd expect that would be major and likely have resulted in many many outbreaks over the years. But it could just be bad luck.

I should note that my wife and I once went to Egypt where half the hotel came down with dysentry - the other half completely unaffected. Some people were so bad they had to be given drips in their room or taken to hospital. My wife was bad for a week - but thankfully not at the worst level, whilst I had no issue at all. It turned out after investigation to have been from tap water in the rooms - brushing teeth. We all did this, but half survived without symptom - conclusion being either half got really lucky - OR we'd already been exposed previously in life to that Shigella bacteria. It is possible that the kids had immunity - from nursery etc....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure