Disgusted with Virgin Mobile

I've been a Virgin mobile customer for 20+ years (I know loyalty counts for nothing), and even persuaded my parents and husband to change to Virgin back in the day. Just been told that PAYG is due to cost £2 per day for 1+ text and the same for calls. Virgin have told me that if I don't like it I can either leave (charming), or change to a £5 per month package. I currently pay around £10 every 8 weeks and for that I get 3000 free texts, 1G of data and free minutes the month following the payment. The £5 per month deal they've offered gives 250 free texts, some talk time and 250mb of data! I work in Europe a lot and have a french sim for European texts and calls, so I use virgin to contact uk family and friends from Europe, so I need roam from home. I'm disgusted with Virgin and how they're choosing to treat an existing customer - I assume that they are just trying to get rid of their light users. Any advice on another provider where I get a very cheap deal with good roam from home would be very appreciated. Thanks forum.

Comments

• cranford
    cranford Posts: 797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 November 2019 at 5:54PM
    Not the only one dropping Pay and Go I guess they cant make money from it. However take a look at 1pmobile, https://www.ipmobile.com, who use the same EE network as VM. Its worth noting that being able to roam in Europe for the same charges as in the UK is a EU directive. The BBC reported that If the UK leaves the EU having agreed a withdrawal agreement that includes a transition period any changes will not happen immediately.

Update: On 1pmobile you have to add £10 to your account every 120 days.
  • lr1277
    lr1277 Posts: 1,672 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    In the mid noughties, I was with a cheap provider due to my low usage. They either went bust or stopped providing a service. I don't remember. For me, since consistency/quality of services has since then become important. So I choose a slightly more expensive provider to get the service I want. Virgin mobile (who i am currently with) were a compromise between price, service and financial security.

I am considering moving away from VM due to their tie up with Vodafone. I find the EE network is the best one for me.
  • Yes, I too will be moving from Virgin once the tie-up with Vodafone happens.

I switched from Voda to Virgin because of awful service, the transmitter kept going down!

I wonder if EE/BT will be doing special offers to tempt us over?
    David.
  • O2 have a PAYG SIM that has unlimited mins and texts, but zero data, for a £5/month topup. Three still have the 321 SIM that doesn’t need regular topups (3p/min, 2p/text, 1p/MB). Three are currently the only network to state that free EU roaming will continue after Brexit, although nothing will change without plenty of notice.
  • lr1277
    lr1277 Posts: 1,672 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Supatramp wrote: »
    Yes, I too will be moving from Virgin once the tie-up with Vodafone happens.

I switched from Voda to Virgin because of awful service, the transmitter kept going down!

I wonder if EE/BT will be doing special offers to tempt us over?

To be fair to Virgin, they were a buffer against any bad customer service of EE. Not that I would know about EE's customer service, but I got the feeling after speaking to Virgin many times their customer service was very good.

But for my circumstances, Vodafone's network doesn't meet my needs.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure