Quick questions on Consumer Rights

Comments

• shellysue
    shellysue Posts: 359 Forumite
    it is 2 very big heavy boxes and storage would be a problem if they are going to take forever to pick it up, plus it takes 2 people to lift the boxes and I am not able to lift that sort of weight.
    I don't know if I should badger them to collect it or hope they will forget about it and I can store it in the shed at the bottom of the garden until such time that I could use it :o
    Sue
    Do I need to eat it :o
    Can I afford the calories:eek:
    have I checked for a lower calorie version:T
  • Just went to purchase a bed for £173. from Argos. However, the bed is not available to collect from store so you HAVE to have it delivered. This incurs nearly £9.00 delivery charge. So, basically, you cannot buy the bed at the price it is advertised at! If you call to question that, or ways around it, you may get through to a manager who may tell you that you are the first person in 8 years to raise this issue and that if you are not happy you can go to CAB who will tell you the same thing as he has; which is that you have to have it delivered and therefore it is not misleading... doh... lost me somewhere there! Grrr... am I missing something here???
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,420
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 30 April 2011 at 12:36PM
    Just went to purchase a bed for £173. from Argos. However, the bed is not available to collect from store so you HAVE to have it delivered. This incurs nearly £9.00 delivery charge. So, basically, you cannot buy the bed at the price it is advertised at! If you call to question that, or ways around it, you may get through to a manager who may tell you that you are the first person in 8 years to raise this issue and that if you are not happy you can go to CAB who will tell you the same thing as he has; which is that you have to have it delivered and therefore it is not misleading... doh... lost me somewhere there! Grrr... am I missing something here???

Big bulk items,(beds, wardrobes etc) are usually advertised as "home delivery only" in the catalogue, online as well.e.g. this page shows the beds are "Home delivery from X daysicon_isaltm_lister_delivery_footnote.gif, and "Cannot be reserved for store pick-up"

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• Bought a suite from Furniture Village last night, paid a deposit and opted for the interest free credit deal. Changed my mind! Having read the funance paperwork I can cancel that agreement within 14 days but can I do the same with the store? Reading post about the Benson store I'm not sure if it's possible. Is it a case of battling it out with store? What happens if I cancel finance, then tell store I don't require goods anymore and, worse case scenario, refuse them if they try to deliver....these were bought from showroom so no special order involved.
    Thanks
  • mo786uk
    mo786uk Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    Bought a suite from Furniture Village last night, paid a deposit and opted for the interest free credit deal. Changed my mind! Having read the funance paperwork I can cancel that agreement within 14 days but can I do the same with the store? Reading post about the Benson store I'm not sure if it's possible. Is it a case of battling it out with store? What happens if I cancel finance, then tell store I don't require goods anymore and, worse case scenario, refuse them if they try to deliver....these were bought from showroom so no special order involved.
    Thanks

Under current rules you can cancel the credit but you are still tied to the purchase of the goods. The cancellation rules for credit are there incase you want to source credit elsewhere.

Therefore if you refuse to buy the goods the shop will have to sue you for their losses. If they deliver it then the costs will probably be for both admin and delivery charges.
  • halibut2209
    halibut2209 Posts: 4,248
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Not sure that's ENTIRELY true. It's POSSIBLE that the OP may only lose the deposit.
    One important thing to remember is that when you get to the end of this sentence, you'll realise it's just my sig.
  • mo786uk
    mo786uk Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    Not sure that's ENTIRELY true. It's POSSIBLE that the OP may only lose the deposit.

Well that is the legal theory. Depending on the size of the deposit the shop may be happy to cancel the order and keep the deposit as it will effectivley be free money.

On the other hand if they are insistent on not cancelling the goods or the OP refuses the delivery then they may well have cause to ask for more. That said I believe they must mitigate their losses so trying to deliver 20 times and racking up £1000 in delviery charges will probably be frowned upon by the court should they pursue a civil case.
  • ozrock
    ozrock Posts: 3 Newbie
    Hi, I bought an ipod charger from a seller on Play.com in January who described it as an original Apple ipod charger. When it arrived and I plugged it into my pod, it not only started smoking but it also blew my ipod. I contacted the company and they refunded the money for the charger, but I want them to refund the cost of the ipod as it was brand new at Xmas and their charger destroyed it. Despite writing them letters asking for the cost of the ipod, they are completely ignoring me. I've now written again advising I will take this to the Small Claims Court, but again, no reply. Would I have a leg to stand on if I took this further because I have been refunded for the goods I bought, but I want to claim for the damage the goods have caused.
    I think you will have a claim under the Consumer Protection Act 1987 for negligence against a business. This Act removes your need to prove negligence as liability is strict, where any damages caused wholly or partly by a defect in a product shall be liable for the damage. Write to them and tell them that they are liable under this Act and give them a date by which they should respond, or you will take legal action.
  • ozrock
    ozrock Posts: 3 Newbie
    Just went to purchase a bed for £173. from Argos. However, the bed is not available to collect from store so you HAVE to have it delivered. This incurs nearly £9.00 delivery charge. So, basically, you cannot buy the bed at the price it is advertised at! If you call to question that, or ways around it, you may get through to a manager who may tell you that you are the first person in 8 years to raise this issue and that if you are not happy you can go to CAB who will tell you the same thing as he has; which is that you have to have it delivered and therefore it is not misleading... doh... lost me somewhere there! Grrr... am I missing something here???
    If you did buy the bed and if you knew before you bought the bed there would be a delivery charge you may have a legally binding contract with Argos. However, if you feel you have been mislead, the Misrepresentation Act may apply and there is also the Unfair Contract Terms Act which may the appropreate Act to use.
  • Hi,
    I ordered a dress and bag of bankfashion online, I payed buy card. I recieved a text message two days later saying that it will be delivered that day between 9.30am - 12.30pm. I looked online and tracked my order to say that it had been signed for at 9.41 that morning. I have rang the delivery service and they have told me that they can not do anything until the driver has been interviewed, which could take up to 48hours. I then rang the retail customer service who also said the same but she said looking at the signature you can tell that it wasn't my name that had signed for it.
    I would just like to know what rights I have because ive basically payed from something which I have not recieved.
    I would appriciate any advice given to me.
    Thank you :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure