NHS job offering less than minimum wage

Options
Hello everyone,

Bit confused here, so I'm probably missing something obvious. I got invited for an interview as a receptionist in a surgery. The position is part time, with an advertised salary of 8580 for "22 hours per week, worked on a rota basis" (as per nhs jobs page).

If I break that down to per hour it comes to £7.50 per hour. The job specification also states £7.50. What am I missing?

They know my age is 27, as they asked for it in the application, so the minimum wage in this case would be £7.83.

Comments

• BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They've not updated it since the NMW change early this month. Any offer should reflect the new rate.
  • brampty
    brampty Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ah, so that's what it's about. Was hoping it was a typo and they actually meant £8.50, though it's most likely to be bang on £7.83. Still, better than nothing!

Thank you for clarifying!
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I!!!8217;m guessing it!!!8217;s a band 2 role. Have a look at the pay for full time band 2 role. It!!!8217;s about 15k.
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• GothicStirling
    GothicStirling Posts: 1,157 Forumite
    Options
    Was about to say not possible. I'm Band 1, and I'm paid £8.01 per hour.
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    GP surgeries don't have to use AfC. Also, even some NHS trusts will employ people on NMW as 'trainees' and only put them on the bottom of the band when they have completed an NVQ or similar.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Hopefully the hourly rate will be clarified at interview. It's likely somebody else will have asked the same question. I wouldn't raise it at interview as that could make it look as if cash is the main motivator. If you get the job offer and it still shows the same figure, query it then.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure