Getting a mortgage and then becoming mortgage-free!

Options

Comments

• cookie9
    cookie9 Posts: 764 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hope you had fun at your Christmas meal. Your top sounds nice and even better 20% off!
    MFW 91 op 2014 £410/1000
    MFW 91 op 2015 £4051/4000
    MFW 91 op 2016 £4040/4000
    MFW 91 op 2017 £812/4500
  • Kittenkirst
    Options
    Christmas meal was just lovely with the family; the drive home on the M25 car park was not so great! Home now though & in bed watching some older apprentice episodes.

NSD today & hoping for another tomorrow.

Received a present for my birthday from the family- the deliciously Ella book and I'm hoping to try the courgette banana loaf tomorrow!

Not much MSE activity today other than the hearing being off all day as we weren't in ;P
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • Kittenkirst
    Kittenkirst Posts: 2,563 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 December 2016 at 8:00AM
    Options
    Quiet day yesterday: worked from home which was nice however ran out of milk in the morning so was caffeine free from 11am :eek:

Went to the gym and ran 5.14km which isn't too shabby but now my legs kill.

Gf's mum & dad popped round for dinner so we made turkey kheema curry and a kidney bean curry, with rice and naan which was lovely :) first Indian meal in our new home and everyone seemed to enjoy it. Got the turkey mince on YS with 80p off (it all helps!) and the kidney beans were dented tin so 11p off too :D

Nipped to Tescos for some essentials and got some cod fillets YS so they are now in the freezer alongside the rosemary for 8p. We were running out of spuds so got a few baking spuds for 33p.

Mortgage paynent has come out this morning £810.20 so overpaid the 80p change. By my calculations with the interest on the 31st we should now remain under £170k. It's slowly coming down but will need more OPs to make sure it snowballs.

Looking at my Christmas budget I have £310, left of which the gf's gift is £60, and my brothers is £75 so there is £175 spare.....this seems a bit odd so will leave it a few more days and double check I'm not forgetting anything/anyone. At that point I will put £50 mortgage OP, £50 onto credit card and leave the other £65 in the bank for January's work on the silversmith room
    First home- Oct’16 until June’21: £170.995- Overpayments made £13,784 (25% extra!).
    New forever home- Sep’21 £309,449 @ 2.05%. Plan to clear it before 30 years!!!!!!
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Belated happy birthday :)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • Kittenkirst
    Options
    Evening lovelies!
    Busy day today starting with the gym at 6am- managed to run 5km and then did 15mins on the cross trainer & 15 mins on the stepper. I was shattered after though!
    Then after that it was work time! Had a buffet at work for Christmas I took some biscuit tins that mil was given and didn't want, but I forgot that I would be eating the buffet and packed lunch too- numpty!

Went to Aldi after work and got the 19p special veggies for Christmas Day- carrots, parsnips, potatoes & Brussels. I also picked up our turkey crown for Christmas and pigs in blankets & part bake baguettes so was pretty pleased

Got given my birthday card from my team & £15 so that'll be going to the overpayments fund :D

After work & shopping I helped out at the parents shop for two hours as it is manic at the moment so I'm finally home and resting after leaving at 5.30am. I'm pooped!

Out with suppliers tomorrow so should get a cheeky free lunch hopefully!

Bought the Gf's pressie last night which she knows she is getting- as she wanted a different colour scheme so it was £75 for my half of it, collecting it tomorrow night which I'm very excited about :D
  • Kittenkirst
    Options
    Insomnia strikes this evening, so I'm laid in bed enviously hearing the gf's deep sleeping breathing wondering why I'm awake so early!

Yesterday was a Fairly good day- Had lunch at a suppliers & they had a festive menu so I was spoilt with smoked salmon & cream cheese blinis -how decadent!

Went to pick up the gf's Christmas present from Waitrose with the longest click n collect queue known to man...thank goodness for their free lattes :D

Also bought her a naughty second gift, which I really shouldn't have but I do like getting her presents, and I can easily afford it this month, so why not!

Dinner at her parents so nice full tummys and we finally all watched the last Rizzoli & Isles together- sob!

In super exciting news I moved the £15 birthday money, 60p Tilly tidy & £50 leftovers from the Christmas budget pot across to the mortgage!!

This means for 2016 .....a total of £178.80 against a £150 target!. :beer: :money::j

im pretty pleased with that as £150 in under two months with all the expenses of the house etc was a stretch target for us but that's £178.80 we're never paying interest on again

My very crude calculations show that we should-after interest is applied on the last day of the month- be at a mortgage total of £169,828 which is still scarily huge but great....and mortgage calculator shows we reduced interest by a further £188 across the term too!

:xmassign:
  • Kittenkirst
    edited 23 December 2016 at 9:31AM
    Options
    Woke up to an email from quidc* that the utility switch from September has now been confirmed! I've quickly gone on the pc to request the withdrawal (£40 minus their annual fee) so £35 should be winging its way over to us shortly....not sure with bank holidays if it will reach us in 2016 or 2017 though!!

:xmassign:
  • Kittenkirst
    Options
    I seem to have a lot to say today- apologies mfw's!

Did the Christmas food shop using our list and pleased to say we spent £34 in Sa1nsbobs so in total we have spent £48 on everything :D did the shopping in our lunch breaks and quickly had time to knock up some brocolli (past it's best in the fridge) & Stilton soup using some Stilton bought today- ive never made it before and am impressed with how tasty it was. GF even had a small portion after her sausage wrap- 2 portions to go in fridge/freezer too!

Plan for the rest of the day is to finish work, head to the gym, home shower and go to our neighbors down the road for a takeaway (planned a while back).

Tomorrow we will clean the house and the evening we are cracking open one of the small bottles of chambers given to us when we moved in. Having cheeses, ham, pickle etc for dinner tomorrow with some beautiful rose biscuits given as a birthday pressie :D

Then Christmas days menu is toast & jam (with PB for the gf) then Christmas lunch with the trimmings with a leeks & cheese plait for gf's mum with mini apple & plum crumbles for dessert.

Then picky food for supper on Christmas Day.....only a few more hours and work is done until Wednesday- best get back to it!
  • Kittenkirst
    Options
    NSD today and Tilly tidied 18p across to the mortgage following the Sky bill being taken by DD.

Lovely day had today with a wander to the gf's mum & dad to discuss last minute Christmas plans, hoovering and tidying the house top to bottom & chilling with the lady watching films with cheese, hams & pate :)

We're now watching broadchurch series 2 snuggled on the sofa with a glass of celebratory Moët we were gifted when we bought the house.

Merry Christmas all! :xmastree:
  • Kittenkirst
    Options
    Had a lovely Christmas Day with the gf and her parents. Woke up early and did all the food prepping and lunch went seamlessly (I was pretty pleased!)

I made homemade gravy for the first time ever and it went down a storm too.

Mini apple & plum crumbles for dessert (apples from streetlife lady in the autumn, plums free from work daily and not eaten in two days ) made in ramekins with custard also went down nicely.

The parents brought the cat round and he settled in marvellously- even sat on a dining chair at the table patiently whilst we ate Christmas lunch! :smileyhea
    I got to curl up watching home alone with the kitty too which is something I miss since we have moved.

We've finally ordered a rug for the front room- well two as we aren't sure which we like best- one avail 8th Jan and the other we should be able to collect in a few days to try it out.

Gf's parents want to go shopping today as is only the second day that they get off all year so we are heading into town shortly. I must resist all the shiny carp I like to get spend happy on!!

I have a £5 birthday gift from paper chase so I may get a nice storage box for in the wardrobes to sort some of our clutter out :A

Hope you've all had wonderful christmasses :rudolf:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback