New job and still no contract

Options
Any reason for this? Previously I have received a contract pretty much as soon as accepting the job offer.

I got offered the job more than a month ago and started Monday. I sent back a form confirming back details and the likes and was told a contract will soon follow. Last week I was getting a bit nervous as I heard nothing in regards to my first day or the contract but I then got a call from my new boss confirming a few details and said he will get on the HR person regarding the contract.

Started this week and still no contract has been signed. I brought it up Tuesday and told the same thing about HR is working on it. Should I stop working until they get it sorted?

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Any reason for this? Previously I have received a contract pretty much as soon as accepting the job offer.

I got offered the job more than a month ago and started Monday. I sent back a form confirming back details and the likes and was told a contract will soon follow. Last week I was getting a bit nervous as I heard nothing in regards to my first day or the contract but I then got a call from my new boss confirming a few details and said he will get on the HR person regarding the contract.

Started this week and still no contract has been signed. I brought it up Tuesday and told the same thing about HR is working on it. Should I stop working until they get it sorted?

Stop working if you want to be dismissed!

Why the need for the contact? They only have to give you terms of employment and an unwritten contract is formed by you working there.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 25 April 2018 at 5:55PM
    Options
    How big is the company as that can have a bearing don!!!8217;t forget OP.
    If it is a very big site then sometimes things might not get to you as soon as.

Just keep asking in a considerate way like you have done and I!!!8217;m sure all will end well.
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options
    What does the contract have in it that you are so desperate for? Even with the written contract they could still dismiss you for no reason with limited notice; it brings you no added security unless the notice periods etc in it are much more generous than the legal minimums.
  • Nathaniel_Essex
    Options
    What does the contract have in it that you are so desperate for? Even with the written contract they could still dismiss you for no reason with limited notice; it brings you no added security unless the notice periods etc in it are much more generous than the legal minimums.

Just find it unusual. Every job I have had I have signed a contract before starting. In fact, I remember being told I can't start until it is signed.

Just remembered about it. A few weeks in now and still no contract.
  • anamenottaken
    anamenottaken Posts: 4,198 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just find it unusual. Every job I have had I have signed a contract before starting. In fact, I remember being told I can't start until it is signed.

Was it your current employing organisation that said you couldn't start until you had signed? If so, and you are working there, it clearly was wrong. If it was some other employer, they may have wanted that but it isn't a legal requirement.
  • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Options

So again, why do you care so much that you would even consider stopping working? What do you think you will gain from having a contract?
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Doesn't sound as if it is anything more serious than an incompetent or over-stretched HR department.

You have a contract; it isn't in writing, but your T&C should be confirmed soon.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Welcome to the real world.

So you have had good times before. If you wanted a contract before the job you should have made it a requirement, of course the likely outcome is you would not have been hired.

Maybe you moved from a place with in house HR to outsourced.

There are countless reasons why this occurs. And most of them are not bad.

So either put up with it and chase appropriately (only you know what is appropriate unless you tell us where you work and someone else knows the score) or get a new job. They do not even have to give you a contract if you get nothing above statutory rights anyway.
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    Obviously it depends on the job and the role, but with us, we don't usually raise a contract till about a month in. Sometimes people find the job of international trucking is not as glamorous as they thought:rotfl: and decide to go back to something less onerous. It means I'm not wasting my time by delaying:o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure