Injured by threading beauty treatment

Options
I am looking for some advice please. Three months ago I had some facial hair removed by threading in a Beauty Bar housed within Superdrug. I have had this treatment many times without ill effect. On this occasion the beautician was savage and cut my face in several places. My whole face came out in a bad reaction which lasted for best part of a week. I wrote to the complaints department at Superdrug and enclosed photographs. It has taken over 13 weeks of persistence to get a reply. The reply is brief and basically says that sometimes a reaction happens, it can be influenced by hormones (I'm 62😂) and offers me £30 to go with the £20 of vouchers I had already been provided with. There is no acknowledgement that this is much more than a rash and that the photos show cuts.
I am still angry, not least with the casual way the Brow Bar appear to view the incident. Should I just let this lie or do more. And if more what options are available to me now. Thanks for reading.

Comments

• unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What options are you looking for?

Legally speaking, you're entitled to be reimbursed for any losses you have suffered. You haven't mentioned what those are yet so the £50 compensation they've offered seems more than adequate at present.

This is also assuming the beautician has been negligent. A professional isn't necessarily liable just because something goes wrong, only if they have failed to carry out their duties with reasonable care & skill. That can really only be answered by a court as there are a lot of factors taken into consideration.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,751 Forumite
    Options
    What are you hoping for as an outcome from this?
  • valerie57
    valerie57 Posts: 140 Forumite
    Options
    These are good questions. I would like the Brow Bar to acknowledge that this treatment was far from normal, apologise and ensure that their beautician is spoken to. She may need retraining. But they won't accept anything has gone wrong �� I would like an apology. Money is less of a driver but I think Superdrug could put a nice hamper together.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Options
    You could buy yourself a "nice hamper" with the £50 they have offered.

What sum are you actually looking for? They aren't going to fall over themselves to apologise in case you then try to take further action and use it against them. Might seem like poor customer service but is the downside of the compensation culture.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Accept the money, but insist on an apology too.

At least it wasn't your bikini line...
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • SuperHan
    SuperHan Posts: 2,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You'll probably find it has been fed back and action has been taken. They won't shout it from the rooftops incase you use it as evidence in court in future. I'd take the £50 and be happy with it.
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Options
    pinkshoes wrote: »
    Accept the money, but insist on an apology too.

At least it wasn't your bikini line...

I once had an underarm wax 2 days before I went on holiday. Rolled on deodorant the morning we were leaving ..... and screamed the house down. The beautician had failed to remove the hair with the first wax so had to do it twice and removed the top layer of skin too. A week in 30+ degrees of heat was extremely uncomfortable as it stung like hell. Surprisingly I never went back to that salon.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Options
    LilElvis wrote: »
    I once had an underarm wax 2 days before I went on holiday. Rolled on deodorant the morning we were leaving ..... and screamed the house down. The beautician had failed to remove the hair with the first wax so had to do it twice and removed the top layer of skin too. A week in 30+ degrees of heat was extremely uncomfortable as it stung like hell. Surprisingly I never went back to that salon.

I had a similar experience with newly trained owner of a salon. She used the roll on wax which was evidently too hot and burned me, only realised next day. Voted with my feet too.
  • powerful_Rogue
    powerful_Rogue Posts: 7,520 Forumite
    Options
    valerie57 wrote: »
    I am looking for some advice please. Three months ago I had some facial hair removed by threading in a Beauty Bar housed within Superdrug. I have had this treatment many times without ill effect. On this occasion the beautician was savage and cut my face in several places. My whole face came out in a bad reaction which lasted for best part of a week. I wrote to the complaints department at Superdrug and enclosed photographs. It has taken over 13 weeks of persistence to get a reply. The reply is brief and basically says that sometimes a reaction happens, it can be influenced by hormones (I'm 62😂) and offers me £30 to go with the £20 of vouchers I had already been provided with. There is no acknowledgement that this is much more than a rash and that the photos show cuts.
    I am still angry, not least with the casual way the Brow Bar appear to view the incident. Should I just let this lie or do more. And if more what options are available to me now. Thanks for reading.

Did you speak to the beatician at the time regarding the "several cuts"? What did they say?
    How long after you left did the rash appear?
    Did you seek or receive any medical treatment?
    How much did the procedure cost?
  • valerie57
    valerie57 Posts: 140 Forumite
    Options
    No I didn't speak to her. I was in a hurry and quite shocked. I just got out. She said something like the redness will go down. When I got home approximately an hour later I realised it was more than a reaction to the treatment. I took photos then and the day after which I sent to Superdrug. I didn't seek or receive any medical treatment other than from a Pharmacist. I bought some soothing and antiseptic cream from him. The treatment cost £19.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure