PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Would a house with rear access to property put you off?

golly99
golly99 Posts: 454
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Forumite
edited 15 March 2017 at 11:59AM in House buying, renting & selling
Currently our house is up for sale and saw a property which ticked a lot of boxes but one thing which did put me off from a security point of view was that there was a path with a grassy area behind the back fence linking the nearby streets up. There's obviously a fence/gate there and options to put up some trellis/planting etc, but wondering if it would put anybody off? I've checked the police street map thing which wouldn't suggest any issues and it is a very good area.

Comments

• always_sunny
    always_sunny Posts: 8,314 Forumite
    If the door bothers you so much surely you can keep it closed?
    EU expat working in London
  • borkid
    borkid Posts: 2,475
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    No, my house backs onto a community field. No problems at all although the fence is 6ft tall and there is a hedge part way along. If you are really worried add some trellis or grow a prickly climbing plant up it.
  • No it wouldn't bother me, in fact depending on layout etc my husband might end up using it as main access as he's a public transport kind of guy!
  • kathrynha
    kathrynha Posts: 2,469
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Forumite
    We have front and back access to our property. It doesn't bother me at all as our CCTV covers all sides, as does the nosey old lady 3 doors up :)

My parents house only has front access, but with a gate to the back, and they had a burglar use the privacy of the back garden to break in. That isn't as big a risk for us.

You can always put a lock on the back gate if you are worried
    Zebras rock
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,157
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Surely as your the buyer it's whether you like it or not to buy.
  • LEJC
    LEJC Posts: 9,618 Forumite
    In some ways rear access is a bonus...especially when you want to prevent taking bulky or messy things through the house.

I've lived in both access and no access houses and have always valued the extra entry at the back.
    frugal October...£41.82 of £40 food shopping spend for the 2 of us!

2017 toiletries challenge 179 out 145 in ...£18.64 spend
  • LittleMax
    LittleMax Posts: 1,404
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I am happy with rear access - but it wasn't until I sold my last house, that I realise just how many people are worried by it.
  • Hedgehog99
    Hedgehog99 Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    I like having rear access to the garden without going through the house. As you have done, I would research the field, what it's used for now and what it could be used for in future.

Check google earth to see whether there are any dead end stubs of roads leading to it, i.e. could it be used for housing in the future and would that affect the value of your property?

I've heard of problems when councils install children's play equipment and people who'd enjoyed a quiet field suddenly complain of screaming kids.

You could fit a lock and/or bolts to your gate for improved security, and a nice bit of too-fragile-to-climb trellis.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    One issue is wee squads of teenagers drinking white lightning on a saturday night using the path as their hangout. I'd want to spend a couple of hours sitting in the car at least 2-3 times to check if there's many of that sort about first. Warm night are busiest with these kinds of twits.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,912
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    We have a footpath behind our house and were burgled by somebody climbing over the fence many years ago. We now have trellis on top of the fence, an alarm and CCTV.
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport