How would you invest £100k?

Hello,

I have around £100k doing very little in a bank account and would like to invest it.

My mortgage is fully offset with other savings so is interest-free have no plans of paying that off for now. I don't have a pension but have a BTL property which will essentially become my pension further down the line.

Personally, I'm drawn towards another property investment as I would like to have an income from it but also benefit from capital growth in the long-term.

I'm curious to know how others would invest £100k?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Comments

• AlanP_2
    AlanP_2 Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    In a pension wrapper. Difficult to sell half a room in a BTL when you want a few £K for a special holiday or something in retirement and the tax breaks make it almost a no-brainer (depending on your earned income / tax rate etc.)

Are you employed? does your employer have a pension scheme? Are you saying NO to free money from an employer?
  • moneymark
    moneymark Posts: 74 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    I'm self-employed with my own company.

What I don't like about a pension is that once the money is paid in you can't get at it until you're retired unless I'm mistaken?

Would a pension outperform a rental income and capital growth over the next 30 years do you think?
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    moneymark wrote: »

What I don't like about a pension is that once the money is paid in you can't get at it until you're retired unless I'm mistaken?

To me, this is the one of the most significant benefits of having a pension!

As well as you not being able to get at the money, your creditors can't and even your wife has to divorce you to get it (or wait for you to die).
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • MarkCarnage
    MarkCarnage Posts: 628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Being 100% invested in UK residential property and cash doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I'd buy US dollars and or Euros.
  • AlanP_2
    Is it your own Limited company? If it is I think the tax benefits of a pension are even better as the company can make the contribution for you.

I have no idea, and nor does anyone else, what equity v UK residential property investments will return over the next 30 years.

A pension doesn't "perform" btw - it is the investments made within the pension that "perform".

Given you have a good income by the sound of it and a healthy amount of cash / property would you not be better off taking professional advice from an INDEPENDENT Financial Adviser rather than relying on a random bunch of MSE users?

You'll get a lot of opinions on here but none of us know your true situation, assets / liabilities, family situation, life plans, living costs, desired retirement age and desired retirement income.

Makes sense to hear other people's ideas, but like mine above, they may not suit you dues to something we don't know.

In general a mix of asset types / income sources makes sense. If you relied totally on property for your retirement you have all your eggs in one basket - and baskets break, usually at the most inconvenient time for you.
  • AlanP_2
    moneymark wrote: »

Currently accessible from Age 55, but there is a stated intent to make this State Pension Age - 10 years (not enacted as yet).
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 August 2019 at 6:30PM
    One of the problems with residential property investment is that few people have enough capital to buy enough properties to minimise the risk. If your pension plan is based around one rental property, you don't really have any diversification of risk. Subsidence or one bad tenant could leave you with no rental income for a long period. I also think capital appreciation on residential properties is going to be harder to achieve in the future unless the property is very well insulated and has a very low carbon-foot print.

If you invested in a global equity income fund you would be sharing your risk across many companies, and have a professional, full-time investment manager looking after your investment.

To answer your original question, if I came into £100K tomorrow, I would spend about £20K on a Porsche Cayman and invest the rest equally into the following funds:

Vanguard LifeStrategy 100% Equity A Acc (FUND:B41GX30)
    LF Lindsell Train Global Equity Inc (FUND:B3NS4D2)
    LF Lindsell Train UK Equity Acc (FUND:B18B9X7)
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I'm curious to know how others would invest £100k?

How would mine or other peoples scenarios help you decide what is right for you?
    Surely you should do what is right for you. Not what is right for others?
    I'm self-employed with my own company.

So, you are not a director of a limited company then?
    Would a pension outperform a rental income and capital growth over the next 30 years do you think?
    Depends on what you invest in. However, pensions get tax relief, tax free growth and are free of capital gains tax.
    Property gains are subject to CGT, income is subject to income tax. Equities and property are both subject to gains or losses and both generate income.

The 30 years porior to the credit crunch saw the deregulation of lending and a credit boom that helped fuel property values. Also a massive influx of immigration that left supply short. The credit crunch saw increased regulation of lending and the Government taxing rental properties higher. And there is more to come on that. Is the future going to be like the past? No.
  • I would....

Top up pension to the limit - 55% UK shares, 45% UK Gilts
    Top up S&S ISA - 50% US, 50% EU shares

£60k into a 1 Yr BLME fix so that I could do the above next year

Rest Into a BLME 2 Yr fix so I could do the same in 2 years
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts