No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries June 2019

Here we go again for another month. As usual this initial post has been shamelessly copied from the many previous months. A big thank you to pinkfluffybabe for starting us off last month.

Welcome all newbies and regulars to this very friendly and chatty thread where we give lots of lovely tips on how to use up your stash and lots of support and encouragement if you need them.

Keep up the pampering and keep down the spending: let's make the naughty step an empty and lonely place this month (rather than one so long that it can be seen from space)! Will this be the month when the "usual suspects" rein it in a bit? Let's see..... (but I doubt it!)

Remember - those products do nothing for you while they are stashed in drawers, boxes and cupboards!

We are eternally grateful to Katie Clampet who set up this fab challenge in January 2010. Here's her original challenge post:

"No buying any new toiletries, cosmetics, perfume etc... until I have used up ALL the ones I already have. I got a huge amount of (really nice) stuff for Christmas but I am going to resist the urge to browse Boots, Asda, Superdrug etc, and pop another tub of cream, face scrub, shampoo or conditioner into my basket. I reckon the stuff I have will last me until possibly June. I have decided that the money I save I will put into my special holiday account. Anyone else?"

Lots of us have taken part in the challenge over the past few months (and some of us even years!!) and are making great progress in reducing our stashes and unnecessary/excessive spending.

Regulars can ignore this, but a quick resume is always helpful for newbies:

Why not add the challenge to your signature as a reminder?

How about taking a bit of time to do a stock-take and see if there are any gaps in your stash that you might need to spend on this month? Some of us set a budget for the month for essential purchases or to help with withdrawal symptoms, others like to go cold-turkey!! Other ideas which some people find useful: Listing everything out so you can cross things off as used to increase the sense of achievement, and putting a sum of money in a pot each time you use up an item to save for something you really want, or simply to assist in making future essential purchases "cash neutral".

Remember the challenge is about making the most of your money, enjoying your products, finding which products really suit you best and are worth buying, giving yourself a well-deserved pampering and breaking the habit of buying for the sake of buying. In money-saving tradition, it should also be about making your products l-a-s-t as long as possible (although the temptation of using an unloved shower gel extravagantly to finish it off is sometimes too much to bear!).

Brand new products (or opened perfume) sell well on eBay.

Unsuitable products can be repurposed and used for other jobs (shower gel/shampoo as handwash etc).

Some items can be returned to certain stores for exchange (for essential items or gifts!!) without a receipt.

Unwanted items can be recycled as gifts or for gift hampers (saving the money you'd have spent on gifts).

Unsuitable items can be donated to charity or a local women's refuge as mentioned earlier

It helps to avoid the places where temptation lurks for you; be it QVC, Boots, Body Shop, email newsletter, the supermarket toiletries aisles, Grabbit board, online toiletries browsing, seductive department store beauty counter offers etc. Remember retailers are making offers and promotions all the time, so there will always be another deal! Honest!

Good luck all for February 2018 and indeed the coming months, and remember to keep your stash lists updated, keep popping in for inspiration and support and to report your UU's and IN's, especially any sales bargains - we want a nosy!

Welcome to all newbies - the more the merrier. Please introduce yourselves so we can welcome you properly! Do de-lurk if you are lurking, this is one of the friendliest threads on MSE.

Oh - and anyone thinking "OMG my stash is FAR bigger than all of theirs, I cant possibly join" - believe you me, we have been doing this challenge for well over a year some of us - you wont scare us, and I can almost guarantee that someone somewhere will have had more and survived.... we are very supportive (and protective - so don't be scared!!) oh - and did we mention that are nosy??!!

Useful abbreviations and jargon!

WBA - Will Buy Again
UU - Use Ups
IN - Self explanatory - stuff you've gained into your stash - warning: lines may be given out for unnecessary purchases or you may be sent to the naughty step!
NBI - A non-bought item such as a present, gift with purchase or free sample
WNBA - Will Not Buy Again!
Glitch - when a shop/online store make a pricing mistake so you end up paying less or even get freebies!
PYN(M/T/W/Th/F/Sa/Su) DELETE AS APPROPRIATE! - Paint Your Nails Monday/Tuesday...... it allows everyone to try and finish those dastardly nail varnishes with group support! You can never be too groomed for this thread. Also see PY(T)N... - for toenails!
Splutterer - the stage where an item is nearing the end of it's life and spluttering - also the most annoying and seemingly never ending stage!
GWP - Gift With Purchase - a sample or mini sized item
HG - Holy Grail - this is the product you would go back for time and time again, it does the job brilliantly, and is either economical, or so fantastic price becomes no object!
NPI - Near Purchasing Incident (OMG we all have those!)
LHJ - Long Haul Job - for those products - love 'em or hate 'em - that never seem to end no matter how often you use them
PRCP - Pink Rose Candle Philosophy inspired by Erma Bombeck who said: 'If I had my life to live over again I would have burned the pink candle sculpted like a rose that melted in storage'. Don't keep things 'for best' or 'for a special occasion'. That day never arrives. Give the best to yourself now and enjoy it. (Thanks to McCulloch29 for introducing this thought provoking sentiment to us)
GA - for an out that was given away to charity, as a present, or "just because" rather than binned or UU
TA - for an out that was thrown away due to going off (generally as it has been lurking at the back of a stash since time immemorial) or for any other reason such as a broken container or spillage
PP - Project Pan: a list of specific items targeted to be used up

If anyone can think of any more we can add to the list so newbies won't be intimidated by our jargon!

Graduates

Here is a list of our lovely,fragrant ladies who have polished and pampered their way through their products and managed to get their toiletries stash under control. Ladies - congratulations, you are an inspiration to the rest of us, xx . Thanks also to InaPickle who suggested we start the Graduate list. To join the list of graduates let us know by posting that you are graduating in big colourful letters, that way the OP can easily spot you and add you to the list, or better still - PM the OP as the thread can move really quickly! You may also wish to add how many products you have used up during the challenge. Good luck ladies! xx

1. mineallmine - graduated with honours March
2. Bronnie - graduated with honours March 2011
3. lostinrates - graduated with honours around June 2010
4. Ruby_Eskimo - graduated with honours June 2012
5. Seaside dreamer - graduated with honours October 2012
6. InaPickle - graduated with honours September 2014
7. Fiasco55 - graduated with honours May 2017

Previous threads

In case you need to refer back to a previous stash list or product review, here are links to past challenge threads. Click on the date to take you straight to it:

January 2012
February 2012
March 2012
April 2012
May 2012
June 2012
July 2012
August 2012
September 2012
October 2012
November 2012
December 2012
January 2013
February 2013
March 2013
April 2013
May 2013
June 2013
July 2013
August 2013
September 2013
October 2013
November 2013
December 2013
January 2014
February 2014
March 2014
April 2014
May 2014
June 2014
July 2014
August 2014
September 2014
October 2014
November 2014
December 2014
January 2015
February 2015
March 2015
April 2015
May 2015
June 2015
July 2015
August 2015
September 2015
October 2015
November 2015
December 2015
January 2016
February 2016
March 2016
April 2016
May 2016
June 2016
July 2016
August 2016
September 2016
October 2016
November 2016
December 2016
January 2017
February 2017
March 2017
April 2017
May 2017
June 2017
July 2017
August 2017
September 2017
October 2017
November 2017
December 2017
January 2018
February 2018
March 2018
April 2018
May 2018
June 2018
July 2018
August 2018
September 2018
October 2018
November 2018
December 2018
January 2019
February 2019
March 2019
April 2019
May 2019

Comments

• sstevo19
    sstevo19 Posts: 1,493 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    And I'm back for another month.

My PP list for June is:

A. Florence Super Serum 10ml
    Dr Jart Ceramidin Liquid 30ml
    Eve Lom Gel Balm Cleanser 30ml
    Garden Of Wisdom Azelaic Acid 10% Serum 30ml
    Lush Tea Totaler Skin Cleanser 15g
    Melano CC Concentrate Sheet Mask (20 pack)
    REN Neroli & Grapefruit Body Wash 200ml
    Soltan Protect & Moisturise Active Suncare Stick SPF30 5g
    Tigi Bed Head Dumb Blonde Purple Toning Shampoo 400ml
    The Body Shop Aloe Soothing Eye & Lip Contour Cream 15ml
    Ultrasun Family SPF30 100ml

I'm aiming to finish all of these products in June. These are either products I don't enjoy, or products I like but want to use up before they go bad.
  • pinkfluffybabe
    pinkfluffybabe Posts: 2,985 Forumite
    Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 June 2019 at 10:24PM
    Thanks for a new thread sstevo!

I'm in again for June, PP list:

L'occitane verbena shower gel
    [STRIKE]L'occitane almond body oil[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]Aveda cherry and almond shampoo[/STRIKE]
    Aveda cherry and almond conditioner
    Emma Hardie balm cleanser
    Algenist gentle rejuvenate cleanser
    Trilogy eye cream
    Ren vita mineral moisturiser
    Elemental Herbology night cream
    Nuxe lip balm
    Burts Bees vanilla lip balm
    Not buying unnecessary toiletries 2024 13/53 UU, 11 IN
  • ponypal
    ponypal Posts: 416 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    June PP List

Superdrug style expertise heat styling spray – need to use daily
    Aveda purifying scalp cleanser – using this once weekly
    Yorkshire Soap Co Happy in Harrogate – this is what I am now using instead of Showergel, will return to the Original Source next month to make it last.
    Lush none of your beeswax lip balm – need to use daily
    & other stories Topanga Waves Body Lotion
    Nivea suncream
    Urban decay all-nighter eyeliner

Primark x Alex Steinherr Plump & Glow: moisturiser
    Superdrug Optimum PhytoFreeze Swiss Ice Wine Eye Cream
    Makeup Revolution Foundation stick

Superdrug body spray
    Crabtree and Evelyn La Source Seaweed Volumising Shampoo – decided to just use these up
    Crabtree and Evelyn La Source Seaweed Volumising Conditioner
    Ren Hot Cloth Cleanser – going to switch up my daily cleanser for this for a month.
    I promise to try this at least once: The Ordinary 100% Plant Derived Hemi-Squaline
    2x Skyn Iceland Hydro Cool Firming Eye Gels – will use at least one of these

I absolutely want to achieve a NO BUY month this month, no matter what!

Debt Free since December 2017#11 3-6 month Emergency Fund - £3,207.08/£6,000.00
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 25 June 2019 at 9:31AM
    I'm in again. Thanks sstevo.

June PP List

[STRIKE]Philosophy Pure Grace Shower Gel 500ml - b/f from May[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]Philosophy Pure Grace Body Lotion 500ml - b/f from May
    Charles Worthington Diamond Shine Treatment - b/f from May
    Philip Kingsley Elasticizer 40ml
    Philosophy Pure Grace EDP 60ml[/STRIKE]
    Poppy King Lip Crayon in Dancing
    Umberto Giannini Curl Friends Shampoo 200ml

My '7 by Summer' list

1. No17 Brow Pencil
    2. Givenchy mini mascara
    3. [STRIKE]Rimmel Colour Boost Lip Crayon - Keep Mauvin[/STRIKE]
    4. The Balm Down Boy blush - would like to hit pan
    5.[STRIKE] Smashbox Full Exposure mascara - full size[/STRIKE]
    6. Rimmel Match Perfection Foundation
    7. Benefit Champagne Pink Eyeshadow single from Big Beautiful Eyes Palette.

My Finish 7 by Autumn list.

1. Rimmel Match Perfection Foundation (b/f from the last project)
    2. Seventeen Miracle Matte Powder
    3. Lancome mini mascara
    4. Soap & Glory mini lip crayon
    5. Benefit Champagne Pink Eyeshadow (b/f from the last project)
    6. The Balm Down Boy Blush - would like to hit pan (b/f from last project.
    7. Mini Bobbi Brown Eyeshadow in Taupe

Will not need to buy in 2019

Shower gel - one can of Rituals foaming shower gel bought January, and one that came with my Liz Earle order.
    Body moisturiser - set of 3 Sanctuary Spa Body Butters bought March from the CS
    Hair conditioner/hair masks - one Bumble & Bumble styling cream bought January
    Foot cream
    Nail polish - 2 BN Ciate polishes bought for £1 each from a CS
    Hair serum/oil
    Makeup (except maybe foundation) - eye primer bought March.
    Perfume
    Bubble Bath

May need to buy in 2019

Shampoo - we have lots but everyone is using the same ones now
    Cleanser - will need to buy in Spring - already purchased Liz Earle
    Eye cream - only have the one which is in use
    Day cream - already bought Liz Earle
    Curl cream - have one in use and one backup
    Deodorant - will be good for quite a while
    Hand cream - 2 from Avon in January.

Only one in in May which was the shampoo bar so the stash is still going down.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • InaPickle
    InaPickle Posts: 5,968 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 1 June 2019 at 10:41AM
    Thanks for the new thread, sstevo19! :T

I had one IN and one UU and 1 downgrade yesterday so I posted them on the old thread as they were technically in May. It's a bit soon to have any UUs yet and I'm just carrying on whittling down the stash as I go, looking to replace things with other things not in plastic as I go.

I'll see you when I've got something new to report! :cool:
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: ???
    No More Buying DVDs: ???
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P
    roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

• kadison
    kadison Posts: 3,662 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    Hello all, this is my update for May, there are some more INs to come but not many....

GAs (including lots of small perfumes that don't suit me)
    Avon True Nutra Effects Micellar Cleansing Wipes x 25 - not 'wet' enough for me
    Colgate Total Toothpaste 20ml
    Dead Sea Cooler Deep Cleansing Face Mask 15g
    Dior Joy EDP 5ml
    Elizabeth Arden 5th Avenue 10ml
    Elizabeth Arden 5th Avenue Eau de Parfum Spray 1.5ml
    Elizabeth Arden Red Door 10ml
    Emporio Armani Diamonds Violet EDP 5ml
    Estee Lauder Modern Muse EDP 4ml
    Garnier Moisture bomb protect - they can sod off! It says it's not a sunscreen (in tiny letters on the back) so how exactly are they allowed to put SPF30 on the front?! I bought it as an over-make-up sunscreen!! :mad::mad::mad:

Giorgio Armani Si Fiori EDP 1.2ml
    Guerlain Mon Guerlain EDP Florale 5ml
    Jiinju Face Mask 23g
    L'Oreal Colour Extender 36ml x 2
    Omorovicza Queen of Hungary Facial Mist Limited Edition 30ml - I could never work out the point of this!
    Pears Transparent Soap 100g
    St. Tropez Self Tan Purity Face Mist 14ml
    Tresemme Luxurious Moisture Shampoo 100ml
    Valentino Donna Rosa Verde EDT 6ml

UUs
    Arran Aromatics Glen Rosa Bath & Shower Gel 300ml
    Astral Original 50ml - WNBA, far too greasy, I know people go on about how great this is but I can't see why, my go-to cream is Nivea in the blue pot and this hasn't made me change my mind!
    Avon ANEW Reversalist Complete Renewal Day Cream SPF25 50ml - very nice, WDBA
    Avon Avon Care Green Tea Body Lotion 400ml
    Avon Naturals Golden Apricot & Shea Detangling Spray 150ml - WBA but my longer hair needs a stronger detangler at the moment.
    Bath House Heaven Is Foam Body Wash 150ml
    Batiste Dry Shampoo 50ml - Original
    Bior! Deep Cleansing Pore Strips x 6 - Zebra
    Clarins Renew-Plus Body Serum 8ml
    Dentyl Mouthwash 500ml - Smooth Mint x 2 - WDBA, HG
    Elemis Pro-Collagen Oxygenating Night Cream 2ml
    Elemis Superfood Facial Wash 30ml - WNBA, it smelt like decomposing veg!
    Elizabeth Arden Green Tea EDP 50ml - WBA but I have other Green Tea perfume to use first!
    Elizabeth Arden Superstart Skin Renewal Booster 5ml - Lovely and cooling, I've earmarked this to buy in the future.
    Emma Hardie Moringa balm 15ml - Can't see what the fuss is about, it was lumpy and rubbish!
    Femfresh Powder 200g - WDBA, HG
    Imperial Leather Foamburst 200ml - Ocean Waves
    Johnson's Baby Cornstarch Powder 255g - WDBA but they've discontinued this HG product! :eek::(:(:(
    Johnson's Gentle Eye Make-up Removal Pads x 30
    Korres Wild Rose Sleeping Facial 16ml
    La Roche-Posay Ultra Comfort Cream spf 30 50ml - WBA, this is the only sunscreen above SPF15 I've found that you can use around the eyes.
    Lancôme Eau Micellaire Douceur 400ml - HG
    Lancôme Genifique Serum 7ml - HG
    Lancôme Hydra Zen Night Cream 15ml
    Liz Earle Cleanse & Polish Hot Cloth Cleanser Pump 150ml - WDBA as I have tried a lot of dupes (currently using the Lacura one) and none even come close IMO.
    L'Occitane Arl!sienne Delightful Bath & Shower Gel 75ml
    L'Oreal Elnett Hairspray 75ml - Glam Waves
    No7 Beautiful Skin Melting Gel Cleanser 150ml
    No7 Revitalising Cleansing Wipes x 30 - WBA but I'm trying to move to reusable wipes instead.
    Oral B Toothpaste 75ml - Sensitive & Whitening
    OSKIA Renaissance Mask 10ml - very odd!
    Primark Gentle Facial Cleansing Wipes x 15
    Soap & Glory Rich & Foamous Body Wash 75ml
    Superdrug Trichology Scalp Tonic 150ml - HG
    The Body Shop Conditioner 250ml - Fuji Green Tea
    The Body Shop Fuji Green Tea Purifying Hair Scrub 240ml - WNBA, I bought it as an alternative to Lush's BIG as that had stopped having a decent effect for the price, this was no better unfortunately.
    The Body Shop Japanese Camelia Body Cream 350ml - WNBA, very greasy
    The Body Shop Shampoo 400ml - Fuji Green Tea

INs that were mostly necessary, bought during the £10 off every £50 spend at Boots
    Boots Rapid Removal Nail Polish Remover 200ml x 3 - I'm on my last bottle
    Femfresh Powder 200g x 5 - They discontinued this for a while to repackage it and it still makes me feel nervous so I stock up whenever I can!
    Garnier Ultimate Blends Hair Food Mask Treatment 390ml x 2, I bought Aloe Vera and also Banana, I'm on my last pot of hair mask.
    Lancôme Eau Micellaire Douceur 400ml - HG cleanser, I've got loads but it never hurts to get more! :D

I like to use my highly-fragranced BS shampoos with the conditioners so these are bulk out the collection as I go through twice as much shampoo as conditioner...
    Garnier Ultimate Blends Oat Milk Sensitive Scalp Shampoo 360ml
    Herbal Essences Bio:Renew Shampoo 400ml - Coconut Milk
    Herbal Essences Bio:Renew Shampoo 400ml - White Strawberry & Mint
    Herbal Essences Shampoo 400ml - Bee Strong

I also wanted to try some different styling products as my frizz ease secret agent isn't doing as good a job at the moment due to the humidity and my hair being longer than usual.
    John Frieda Frizz-Ease Daily Miracle Leave-In Conditioner 200ml
    Umberto Giannini Miracle Styling Milk 125ml
    Umberto Giannini Weather Proof Curls Finishing Cream 75ml

INs from other places
    Dentyl Mouthwash 500ml - Smooth Mint x 4, I stock up on this HG product when it's on offer as it can be hard to find at times, it's currently half price at Tesco so I may buy more.
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries 2023
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend
    Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read - Groucho Marx
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,983 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    sstevo thank you for the new thread, I am in again please.

PP for June

100ml Alpha-H Liquid Gold
    500ml Soap & Glory Butter Yourself moisture lotion
    40ml LRP Cicaplast Pro Recovery Skincare.
    50ml Body Shop Vitamin E Moisture Cream
    150ml LRP Serozinc Spray
    60 Nip+Fab Dragon’s Blood Cleansing Pads
    90ml Body Shop Camomile Cleansing Butter
    125ml Clinique Moisture Surge Face Spray
    7ml Clarins Lip Comfort Oil 01 Honey
    100ml Hand Chemistry Retin Oil

I have a make up setting spray to come from Beauty Pie, and hope only to have to buy LRP Serozinc, this is a HG for face, but I have now found it really soothing for dermatitis reactions too, takes away the itching:D
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • getmyacttogether2016
    getmyacttogether2016 Posts: 276 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 1 June 2019 at 11:03PM
    Evening all

In again for June.

Majority of these are from my May PP so quite a few gimme’s in here, still it’s getting things used up and out.

Elemis quiet mind temple balm 15ml
    Liz Earle eyebright lotion 150ml
    Elemis pro-collagen cleansing balm 50g
    Daisy edt 50ml
    Feet detox patches x15 (lots of these left)
    Elemis soothing apricot toner 200ml
    Daisy body lotion 75ml

Samples
    Kiehls daily reviving concentrate 4ml
    Elemis exotic cream moisturising mask 15ml
    Marc Jacoks Decadance edp 5ml
    Decleor satin softening dry oil 5ml
    Clarins one step cleanser 50ml

GMAT
    Lost my way for far too long but now back on board to lead a more simplistic lifestyle

Mar PP - UU 24 (£279.46), TA 2 (£ 13.99) IN 12 (£89.81)
    Apr PP - UU 27 (£324.94), TA 3 (£38.50) IN 53 (£216.65), GA 6 (£40.97)
    May PP - UU 0 (0.00), TA 0 (0.00), IN 0 (0.00), GA 0 (0.00)
  • Thanks sstevo for starting the new new tread

In
    Neutrogena micelluar water
    Cleansing balm
    Estee Lauder revitalising supreme moisturiser
    Shampoo

Things I want use up this month.
    Cleansing balm
    Vichy teint ideal eye cream
    Nuxe skin oil
    Bielenda moisturiser
  • VALM
    VALM Posts: 5,829 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks for the new thread steveeo. I have some INs to report.

We did a big shop on Friday night at Tesco because it was double discount (20%) off for friends and colleagues so I stocked up on shampoo. These were on 3 for 2 also. Bought John Freda Frizz Ease and 2 different varieties of Hask shampoo. Also bought my Nivea deodorant.

Yesterday I decided to repurpose the Cornwall Soapbox shower gel and body lotion to use for cleaning my makeup brushes and A’s foot cream respectively. I really don’t like the fragrance. It’s really synthetic and I suspect may have gone off.

Have ordered 2 x Bath and Body Works body lotions and a shower gel. To qualify for free shipping I also ordered a hand cream and some Woodwink wax melts.

Then yesterday I treated myself to the new MAC eyeshadow palette (Aladdin Jasmine) as I’m a bit bored of my pan that palette although I am making good progress.

Will also need to buy Elemis ProCollagen Marine Cream this month too.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family