3 days off for a funeral

Comments

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 45,938
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    My dad died on 6th and funeral is 18th, so that's not a particularly long gap IMO.

Admittedly I don't know if we COULD have had it sooner, we were very happy to have that date to enable some of the family to get back from Uni, and we didn't want it on someone's birthday, and so on.

And frankly I would not have WANTED it any sooner, persuading the printer to lay out the order of service the way I want it rather than the way he thinks it should be has been a 3 day job ...

But certainly everyone at work knew my dad was ill, I'd been taking leave to go and visit him regularly.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • DKLS
    DKLS Posts: 13,459
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Sound like you need to get rid, can you get hold of a temp stylist for the few days this is a critical time for your business.

For those prone to skiving a death in the family is the perfect excuse as its rarely questioned, I know my own maternal grandmother died on at least 18 separate occasions.
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    If my boss asked me, i would tell them to **** off... It's none of their business.

Attitudes like that remind me why industrial relations are so cr.ap in this country :rolleyes:.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• jamesb1239 wrote: »
    Everywhere I have ever worked time off for funerals has been for a child only, any other deaths had to be arranged by using up holidays and begging others to cover and even then 1 day was the maximum allowed

OMG If I ever had to arrange holiday or beg to get time off if I lost my other half or parent I would be walking out of that job asap, what kind of s**t companies do that to its staff.

Anyway under the circumstances I would compromise and give 2 days 1 for the funeral and a half day either side, maybe help with travel arrangements so you can see that all is kosher, I would imagine though that one might go sick in any case.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Heliflyguy wrote: »
    OMG If I ever had to arrange holiday or beg to get time off if I lost my other half or parent I would be walking out of that job asap, what kind of s**t companies do that to its staff.

This isn't about the death of a partner or parent - it's a grandparent. Very different.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • DCodd
    DCodd Posts: 8,187
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I noted someone asked if the 28 days was sick leave but I didn't see an answer. Was it sick leave of 28 days?
    Always get a Qualified opinion - My qualifications are that I am OLD and GRUMPY:p:p
  • Lil_Me_2
    Lil_Me_2 Posts: 2,664 Forumite
    My Grandad died on the 13th and the funeral is next Tuesday 22nd so the dates aren't that questionable.

My works policy for non partner/parent/child relatives is 1 day for a funeral, up to 3 if travelling is involved plus extra is there is significant grief. All of this is paid compassionate leave.

My Grandads funeral is in the afternoon so I think this should also have a bearing on when the time off is taken. If the funeral is in the morning I'd possibly offer an early finish the day before and the day of off, if it's an afternoon I'd say offer the day of and the half day following.

Saying this all of the other time off does make this all a bit suspect. As you have a few days notice are you able to contact the clients that she would have seen and offer them evening slots tomorrow or extra on the weekend? This would have less of an impact on your business.
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    No doubt the employee said it was sick leave. If it was holiday it is irrelevant to this problem, and they are hardly likely to say they were on a skive are they?
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• Welshwoofs
    Welshwoofs Posts: 11,146 Forumite
    DCodd wrote: »
    I noted someone asked if the 28 days was sick leave but I didn't see an answer. Was it sick leave of 28 days?

Yes, it was sick leave. Op explains in this post.
    “Don't do it! Stay away from your potential. You'll mess it up, it's potential, leave it. Anyway, it's like your bank balance - you always have a lot less than you think.”
    Dylan Moran
  • margaretclare
    margaretclare Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    If you're the person who has the funeral to arrange and all the practical and administrative jobs to do I agree that 3 days is needed.

Just to attend a funeral, no. One day should suffice.
    [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Æ[/FONT]r ic wisdom funde, [FONT=Times New Roman, serif]æ[/FONT]r wear[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ð[/FONT] ic eald.
    Before I found wisdom, I became old.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport