Travelling on London Underground

I haven't traveled on the London underground for quite a few years now, but the last time I did, there was a "travelcard" that covered the whole underground/buses etc I think that my children were included on this as they were all under a particular age.

Is this still a thing, or do I need to get separate tickets for everyone (my children are now 15, 14 and 6)?

I looked online but got totally confused by the whole oyster/contactless thing (I couldn't work out how the contactless thing would work for three adults and three children?).

I need to be able to use the whole underground on a Sunday as my daughter is going to uni in London and needs to figure out how to use it effectively.

Comments

• General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,831 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I haven't traveled on the London underground for quite a few years now, but the last time I did, there was a "travelcard" that covered the whole underground/buses etc I think that my children were included on this as they were all under a particular age.

Is this still a thing, or do I need to get separate tickets for everyone (my children are now 15, 14 and 6)?

I looked online but got totally confused by the whole oyster/contactless thing (I couldn't work out how the contactless thing would work for three adults and three children?).

I need to be able to use the whole underground on a Sunday as my daughter is going to uni in London and needs to figure out how to use it effectively.

Do you actually need a family outing, spending so much time using the public transport system for an 18-yo to get to know how it works?

Did you look at https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/free-and-discounted-travel/5-10-zip-oyster-photocard?intcmp=55572 ?
  • olgadapolga
    olgadapolga Posts: 2,273 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Do you actually need a family outing, spending so much time using the public transport system for an 18-yo to get to know how it works?

Did you look at https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/free-and-discounted-travel/5-10-zip-oyster-photocard?intcmp=55572 ?

We thought that we could spend some time in London as well, as a family, seeing some of the sights/places of interest.

Will take a look at that link, thanks for responding :)
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    6yr old goes free. Buy one day travel cards for the 14 and 15yr olds. All adults, use a contactless card. Unless you are all planning on visiting london regularly, kids oyster isnt worth the faff for occasional visitors
  • es5595
    es5595 Posts: 380 Forumite
    Also, be aware if you’re coming on a Sunday there are frequently line closures and alterations!

https://tfl.gov.uk/status-updates/planned-track-closures
  • KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,567 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    flea72 gives the right answer, but just to elaborate a little bit...

Each person using a contactless payment card must use a separate card. Card sharing will not work.
  • flea72
    flea72 Posts: 5,392 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    KeithP wrote: »
    flea72 gives the right answer, but just to elaborate a little bit...

Each person using a contactless payment card must use a separate card. Card sharing will not work.

Also remember that you have to use the same payment ‘format’ to enter and exit a station. So dont swap between contactless card and applepay (even though the money comes out of the same bank account)
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,269 Forumite
    You could buy oyster cards at an underground station for the two older children and get staff to put child discount on the card. That's the cheapest way as there is a daily cap for travel and the discount will cut it in half.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure