Sixt new damage report - advice please

Hi there,

I've just returned from Slovenia where I hired a car with Sixt for 3 days. Unfortunately, during the hire period, I clipped a curb and scratched the alloy wheel and damaged the tyre wall.

The car was pristine when I received it, and to be fair Sixt have described the damage fairly accurately and with clear photos, sent the day after I returned the car (I returned it late at night so left the keys in a drop box):
* Aluminium rim front, Passenger side, scratch, severity = > 10 cm (down to primer)
* Tyre front, Passenger side, Crack, severity = not needed

Regrettably, I didn't have 3rd party excess cover (lesson learned) nor did I take their excess reduction product, meaning my liability limited by their Loss Damage Waiver is €800.

Sixt have not yet provided a repair estimate, and have instead asked me to complete a report form explaining how it happened. I would be extremely grateful for any advice here as, while I accept liability and should pay for the damage, I've heard horror stories about extortionate repair bills. Perhaps my only option is to tell them what happened, admit liability and hope it isn't too bad?

It's also worth noting that I paid for the car and the €800 EUR deposit on my Starling Mastercard debit, where it seems they have already released the deposit and only charged for the car rental.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Chris

Comments

• richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Just be factual in your description of what happened.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • cubegame
    cubegame Posts: 2,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I hope you chucked a good amount of mud on all four tyres to at least try to stop them discovering it before they hired it out again.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,565 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 June 2019 at 12:54PM
    andersoc wrote: »
    Perhaps my only option is to tell them what happened, admit liability and hope it isn't too bad?
    I think that's all you can do.

I think most firms don't actually repair minor damage, just estimate the cost and charge that, up to the excess amount, although Sixt may differ. Various locations of the same firm can also behave differently.

In my limited experience of Sixt I've found them to be very reasonable. I was the first driver of a brand new Golf they gave me at Pisa in February, which I returned with a small dent in the edge of the roof, presumably from falling pieces of tree in a storm that occurred. I declared it and the girl took photos but they never charged me for it. May you be so lucky..!
    Evolution, not revolution
  • andersoc
    andersoc Posts: 19 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for the input everyone, and thanks for sharing that eDicky!

Sounds like I'll just have to face the music for now - I will report back here in due course!
  • when I returned a car with very minor scratch, it tool Sixt 3 weeks to send me the details then 3 months to send me the repair bill.
    I too didnt get 3rd party insurance as I only had the car for a day. Wont be doing that again. It turned out to be a very expensive hire.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure