Women paying more for equivalent toiletries

I watched the Victoria Derbyshire programme this morning where a campaign against the 'pink tax' was highlighted. It seems women are being charged more for equivalent products, even with the same brand name, like antiperspirants, razors etc. I wasn't aware of this.

If you are broke, or just don't like being ripped off, maybe it is time to head for the men's toiletries aisles until industry sees sense!

Watch here, it is the last few minutes of the programme starting at 53:07 https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000315s/victoria-derbyshire-05032019

Comments

• NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Tennishead wrote: »
    If you are broke, or just don't like being ripped off, maybe it is time to head for the men's toiletries aisles until industry sees sense! [/URL]
    Don't forget the pink razors too...

If the product is genuinely interchangeable - then go for the best value. Applies to all genders and combinations. And there are plenty of "family" products which are not particularly gendered and may well be better value.

The reality is that as long as there are women who fall for the advertising - or believe that it's important to have pink packaging on their bathroom shelves - companies will make them, charge more for them and make a profit on them.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Meh! Are we now going to compain that the brands are more expensive that ALDI's own product.

The razors at least are different (more mousturising strips etc), so not a great comparision.

Also in certain areas I have found woman's products to be cheaper and have no issue buying them (I am a man).

Also where is the Kitchen spray cheaper than Bathroom spray despite them being the same rage.

Can I now complain that womens clothing ideas of old are infiltrating mens clothing? (I cannot find a coat with dececnt sized real pockets).

It's not a conspiracy just the market taking what the market will. Well at lerast in 90% of the cases (feel free to evidence personal nitpicks! Always interesting).
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Enterprise_1701C Posts: 23,409 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Seriously? For years I have simply been buying the best value anti perspirants, regardless of whether they are aimed at men or women. Quite frankly I have never thought that there was a real reason for them to be either "male" or "female" apart from the addition of scent to some of them, and no-one has ever turned round and told me it smells like I am wearing a "male" anti-perspirant, in fact I think it is very unlikely that said scent would be detectable under clothes!

Manufacturers will always find ways of getting extra money out of people. I have a friend who used to use those lenor unstoppable things until she came to mine and helped me get some bedding out and said "I smell you use the unstoppables too", I then dug out the bar of soap I keep in the ottoman (I keep one in all drawers too). I have been doing this for years and it has the same effect. She now does the same :)

So, if someone tries to get me to spend extra money I am immediately suspicious and look at the cheaper ways of doing things, I do not care whether it says a specific gender on the packaging, that gets ignored.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,805 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I can't view the iplayer link as I don't have a TV licence, but I would hope that any campaign is focussed on educating the women who purchase these items so that they don't feel they need to buy them rather than the manufacturers of these products.
  • Nothing is going to change if we don't change. If the "men's" deodorant is cheaper, buy it. As for Razors, well Januhairy is a good start. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
    Boris Johnson voted against Brexit in the Commons, all to become leader of the Conservative Party. Fall for it and you deserve everything you get.
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,894 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Tennishead wrote: »
    I watched the Victoria Derbyshire programme this morning where a campaign against the 'pink tax' was highlighted. It seems women are being charged more for equivalent products, even with the same brand name, like antiperspirants, razors etc. I wasn't aware of this.

Been featured on MSE ages ago with product comparisons and reported in the media at least 3 years ago

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/women-paying-more-than-men-for-everyday-product-thanks-to-unacceptable-gender-price-gap-a6820816.html
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure