Eon Smart Meter - - - - -

My meter has been fine since the install. It was working fine when I went to bed last night.
This morning, all was okay except the usage display. Instead of showing the amount of energy used, in it's place is a line of five dashes: - - - - -
Any ideas guys?

Comments

• Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    My meter has been fine since the install. It was working fine when I went to bed last night.
    This morning, all was okay except the usage display. Instead of showing the amount of energy used, in it's place is a line of five dashes: - - - - -
    Any ideas guys?

Hello scorpionxedos and sorry you've lost the usage display.

Have you tried pressing any of the buttons on the meter to re-activate the display? Are there any error messages on the screen or is it just the dashes? Is there any condensation in the display window?

Thanks scorpionxedos.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Wolf3
    Wolf3 Posts: 216 Forumite
    Hi scorpionxedos

is it the meter or the in home display your talking about?

if it is the meter then you can try what malc advised, otherwise the meter could be faulty and needs replacing. if it is the display, then i believe it has just lost its wireless connection to the meter and needs resetting. You can do this by pressing and holding the power button on the back until it turns off, then take it over to the electric meter and pressing the power button to turn it back on
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Maybe the OP is making the same mistake as the Daily Mail and the Telegraph in describing an 8 quid gadget, the In House Display, as "the meter ". The meter will be ok under the stairs or in an outside box,, but your little new toy will be like many others I have seen, useless !.. Please unplug it and stuff it in a cupboard.Smart meters are there for the benefit of the suppliers, they need them badly. The little toy they give you as a cheap sweetener to accept the smart meter will not last too long anyway before it packs in for good. The Eon version is nt very user friendly as is the complex Secure Liberty smart meters they have chosen with the tiny keyboard which is non usable by anyone who is nt computer literate.
  • Many thanks Wolf. You guys were right, it's the set top box, not the meter. I did what you said Wolf and it's back to normal.

Great job guys, thank you for your help and quick reply.
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Any ideas guys?
    Many thanks Wolf. You guys were right, it's the set top box, not the meter. I did what you said Wolf and it's back to normal.

Great job guys, thank you for your help and quick reply.

Sorry scorpionxedos. Thought you were talking about the meter. Glad you've sorted the problem thanks to Wolf's excellent advice. Thanks Wolf3.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Wolf3 wrote: »
    Hi scorpionxedos

is it the meter or the in home display your talking about?

if it is the meter then you can try what malc advised, otherwise the meter could be faulty and needs replacing. if it is the display, then i believe it has just lost its wireless connection to the meter and needs resetting. You can do this by pressing and holding the power button on the back until it turns off, then take it over to the electric meter and pressing the power button to turn it back on

Excellent advice Wolf3. Many thanks for this.

Malc
  • Thanks again, Malc. Didn't thank you personally.
    REBOOT!! Why didn't I think of that? It's what we always do when something goes wrong! Doh!
    That's fine scorpionxedos. Don't worry about that. Always happy to help even if sometimes I do bark up the wrong tree.

Have a good weekend.

Malc
  • I've followed wolfs excellent advice but now the display shows 00.00 for time an "0"s for usage. Is this part of reset and, if so, how long does that take?
    I've followed wolfs excellent advice but now the display shows 00.00 for time an "0"s for usage. Is this part of reset and, if so, how long does that take?

Hello duchesscantab and welcome to the Forums.

What type of display do you have? We've used a few different types since my original replies to the OP. Also, how long ago were the smart meters installed?

Thanks duchesscantab and look forward to hearing from you.

Malc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure