'Join my run challenge: How far can you go in 2014?' blog discussion

Comments

• Twiggy_34
    Twiggy_34 Posts: 685 Forumite
    Stick with it and you won't regret it, the first month is hard but its amazing how quickly your body adjusts. The best advice I can offer is remember the old saying that running is 99% mental/1% physical and you will be fine.

Thanks. I've just done my second run (and just made it home before the rain arrived!) Another 3.4km clocked up today. I actually enjoyed it more than the first one, tried a different route and it was dark already because of having to work but both were preferable to me, you feel slightly less conspicuous in the darker environment! I ordered better running gear last night too so look forward to that arriving. I need to crochet myself a beanie hat to keep my ears warm though as it's tricky keeping a hood in place. I've only just learned to crochet but will see if I can add some kind of earphone holder (probably just some loops to thread them through) as the hooks on the earphones I bought are slightly big for me!

Next run on Wednesday but I also brought home an 'airwalker' today which I bought second hand for £20 and will make sure I at least use this for half an hour or so if the weather is bad.

I can't wait to start feeling the difference in my clothing and also look forward to the challenge of trying to better my achievements for each run. :j
    £12k in 2019 #084 £3000/£3000
    £2 Savers Club 2019 #18 TOTAL:£394 (2013-2018 = £1542)
  • kevsan
    kevsan Posts: 238 Forumite
    edited 8 January 2014 at 2:13PM
    Twiggy_34 wrote: »
    Thanks. I've just done my second run (and just made it home before the rain arrived!) Another 3.4km clocked up today. I actually enjoyed it more than the first one, tried a different route and it was dark already because of having to work but both were preferable to me, you feel slightly less conspicuous in the darker environment!

Good Effort. I started 2 years ago with the c25k podcasts and they really do work. You've made mention a couple of times of wanting to avoid the rain - can i suggest you give it a go, it can actually be great fun (particularly in the dark!!) and i find preferable to being in the gym and you do get the roads to yourself.

If you are going out in the dark on your own, make sure you can be seen and take sensible precautions... obviously high viz / reflective wear / and a mobile phone / other form of ID- - i carry one of these.... http://www.theidbandco.com/Yellow-Sports-ID-Wristband-Small-Medium-12 You can probably get cheaper ones, but i've had no complaints with the one i linked to.

I also have a head torch in order to be seen, but then most of my runs are on roads in the dark.

Good luck.
    2014 running challenge 471.95 km / 1000 km.
  • Twiggy_34
    kevsan wrote: »
    Good Effort. I started 2 years ago with the c25k podcasts and they really do work. You've made mention a couple of times of wanting to avoid the rain - can i suggest you give it a go, it can actually be great fun (particularly in the dark!!) and i find preferable to being in the gym and you do get the roads to yourself.

If you are going out in the dark on your own, make sure you can be seen and take sensible precautions... obviously high viz / reflective wear / and a mobile phone / other form of ID- - i carry one of these.... http://www.theidbandco.com/Yellow-Sports-ID-Wristband-Small-Medium-12 You can probably get cheaper ones, but i've had no complaints with the one i linked to.

I also have a head torch in order to be seen, but then most of my runs are on roads in the dark.

Good luck.

Hi Kevsan, thanks for the encouragement. You're right, I have a fixation about getting caught in the rain; it's just too cold to be caught out and be wet through! I'll bear your words in mind though, I'm sure if it started raining half way through I'd persevere with no problem, but it's finding the motivation to go out if it's raining before I've even started. I know I'm being a big wuss! :o

Good safety tips too. I'm using my phone to play the podcasts from, so that's not an issue. At the moment I have no high visibility gear, but have given it some thought. Everywhere I plan to run, if dark, has street lighting, but I'm still considering getting something. I made myself a hat to wear last night and have some bright yellow wool, so as a start will make myself some sweat bands using that, but of course it's not reflective. I like the sports ID idea, that would kill 2 birds with one stone as I don't currently carry any ID. :)
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I want to do this too. I'm 24 and my running aims for 2014 are:
    - 500 miles 19.3 done so far
    - a half marathon
    - Cornwall Grand Prix trophy - 8 out of 15 races, two of which must be 10 miles or more

2013 total was 226.4 miles
    2012 total was 186 miles approx

Runs are logged on Google Docs.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • Twiggy_34 wrote: »
    ... At the moment I have no high visibility gear, but have given it some thought. Everywhere I plan to run, if dark, has street lighting, but I'm still considering getting something...
    Definitely get something high vis to wear if running at night, even where there's streetlights. I nearly got reversed over before I got my high vis jacket, thinking I was 'safe' in something with reflective bits on. They're only reflective when lights are pointing straight at you! I recently bought a new, bright red waterproof to run in (as my high vis isn't waterproof) and again nearly got reversed over the first/only time I wore it. It's going back to the store and I'm getting a proper high vis running waterproof instead. :D
    2021 Targets
    find my smile again
    :money:
  • Thanks for the advice. I admit I haven't bought anything yet, mostly just because I haven't thought to at the right times. I'll take a look in a bit. Have any of you any recommendations re good waterproof gear? So far I've been lucky and haven't been caught in the rain but I'm pretty sure my leggings and hoodie are not best suited to wet weather!!

I'm pretty pleased with my couch to 5km progress so far. I'm averaging about 3.5km each time so far and I'm only on week 2 of all the podcasts. Am feeling the difference in terms of physical ability. Attempt 1 of week 2 was pretty tough on friday but attempt 2 tonight wasn't too bad.
  • Indie_Kid
    Indie_Kid Posts: 23,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Twiggy_34 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. I admit I haven't bought anything yet, mostly just because I haven't thought to at the right times. I'll take a look in a bit. Have any of you any recommendations re good waterproof gear? So far I've been lucky and haven't been caught in the rain but I'm pretty sure my leggings and hoodie are not best suited to wet weather!!

Go into Sports Direct and look at their Karimoor running jckets. They're about £15-20, which isn't much for a running jacket. They do the job.
    Sealed pot challenge #232. Gold stars from Sue-UU - :staradmin :staradmin £75.29 banked
    50p saver #40 £20 banked
    Virtual sealed pot #178 £80.25
  • kevsan
    kevsan Posts: 238 Forumite
    As stated above - you definitely need something.. it is very hard to see people in the car, particularly if its raining, its just not worth the risk

Mine is high viz plus reflective, but not that waterproof, and as i found out on Monday, not Hail proof either! But after 14km i was pretty soaked through. the jacket, combined with my head torch meant i was lit up like a belisha beacon!
    2014 running challenge 471.95 km / 1000 km.
  • Twiggy_34
    sh1305 wrote: »
    Go into Sports Direct and look at their Karimoor running jckets. They're about £15-20, which isn't much for a running jacket. They do the job.

How funny, I've literally just got back from my local Sports Direct! I'm now armed with a long sleeve running top (£5) and a running jacket (£23), both Karrimor. I was going to order online a couple of nights ago but thought I was better off buying in store to check sizes (and to save postage costs). This turned out to be a wise move as I was going to order size 12's to be safe but came back with a size 8 and a size 10 - if only all my normal size 10 clothes still fit me the same!

I haven't been able to go running today and came home half way through on wednesday due to pain in/behind my knee :( so I picked up a knee support while I was there. Hoping it will settle with rest, but want to minimise the risk of any further problems (I've always had knee issues, even when I used to do long distance running at school). I also grabbed one of those easy to hold water bottles as I think I'm going to need to keep myself watered as I start to run further and as the weather improves during the year. Not the most moneysaving afternoon but still a lot cheaper than the gym! :rotfl:

I bought a second hand airwalker the other day so plan to use that to make up for not being able to go running, as it's a no impact exercise it doesn't seem to cause any aggravation.
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Dizzy_Ditzy Posts: 17,462 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I started the bupa 5k training programme at the new year. I'm now 3 weeks in, but repeating week 2 again as I'm not quite ready to run 3 mins straight yet :o

But I am enjoying it! I look forward to my next run, and never in a million years did I think that would happen!

Mind you, 12 mins 50 seconds for a run/walk mile isn't great :o:o

I've just downloaded the run keeper app, so will give that a go tonight :)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport