'Join my run challenge: How far can you go in 2014?' blog discussion

This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.

Comments

• Running goals for 2014

1 Run 500 miles (10 miles per week)
    2 Run a sub-11 minute/mile 5K
    3 Increase distance to 10K

Totals so far: 3 out of 500 miles
    2021 Targets
    find my smile again
    :money:
  • kjmtidea
    kjmtidea Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    My goals for 2014 are:

Run 800k.
    Complete my first 10k race.
    Most importantly - Stick with it.
    Slimming World - 3 stone 8 1/2lbs in 7 months and now at target :j
    • I am 42
    • Climbed Ben Nevis last year , new to running this year
    • I Won't be very fast but determined to achieve a steady running pace
    • Race for Life challenge
    • Don't have running spreadsheet but using change for life app called couch to 5k and another called map my run to keep my totals and achievements
  • My name is Tracy. And my running challenge target distance for 2014 is 587.4 km which is 365 miles!"
    I am 43 and been running for 4 years,
    I plod along at 11 to 12 min mile pace,
    I have completed 3 half marathons, One in Jan 2012 in Florida and the other 2 within just 3 weeks of each other last autumn.
    My goal is to run 3 half marathons in 6 weeks in the autumn and beat my pb in one of them which is currently 2:29
    Last year I ran 254 miles but had pneumonia so didn't run much till end of February and then didn't run Nov and Dec so pleased with that total.I log all my runs on Daily Mile as it totals weeks, months and years for me :-)
    Thanks to MSE savings we got to go to Disneyworld Florida.

• morgani
    morgani Posts: 228 Forumite
    edited 8 January 2014 at 2:33PM
    Hi my name is ian and im 28 years old.

I started running last year by starting out on couch to 5k.

My aim for 2014 is to do 800km.

I did around 400km in 2013. My longest race was a 12k mudrun. Apart from that I did a couple of 10k races and plenty of 5k parkruns. My best time for 5k was 21:22.

My other goal is to go under 20mins for a 5k but this will be hard work.
    Running challenge 2014 = 689k / 800k
  • My name is Beth. And my running challenge target distance for 2014 is 225km.

I'm 25 years old and completely new to running. As I love spreadsheets, I've set one up ready to track each journey. :D
    Hobnobs are like marines
  • lvm
    lvm Posts: 1,544 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    My name is Lisa and my running challenge target distance for 2014 is 500km.

I'm 27 and only just started the Couch to 5K programme. I don't imagine I'll get a decent amount of kms logged for the first quarter of this year - have never run before and am seriously unfit so will take a while to get the distance up.

Doing all my running on a treadmill at the gym - can't handle rain, wind, uneven terrain etc!

Good luck everyone!
  • bylromarha
    bylromarha Posts: 10,085 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Just me who is giggling at this blog post, coming on the back of the "mmmm crisps" blog a few hours previous?
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Dizzy_Ditzy Posts: 17,462 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    My name is 'er over there

I am 36

I ran (badly!!) a 10k race in 2008, in 1hr 25m.
    I have entered a new 10k race, in August, and my sole aim is to beat the above time.

I want to lose weight and get fit. I'm starting off with a 5k training programme, and then after my hols in may I shall be working up to 10k.

Training started tonight so I am still full of adrenaline and quite achy too :o

I will aim for 200k for the year. I've just spotted it in someone's signature so I'm away to edit mine :)

Good luck everyone :D
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
  • My name is Cath and my running challenge target for 2014 is 500 miles.

I took up running last year and surprised myself by getting to the stage of running a half marathon which is something I thought I would never be able to do. :D

I'm aiming to do three half marathons this year to keep me motivated and in training having let things slip in the last two months :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure