Goldcar have got me....

2»

Comments

• greyteam1959
    greyteam1959 Posts: 4,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If you are in Spain you ask for the "complaints book" which you can fill in in English.

They will do everything they can think of not to give you the complaint 'book' or 'sheet'..................
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    They will do everything they can think of not to give you the complaint 'book' or 'sheet'..................

Then probably a good idea to have a friend or their partner film the proceedings as discreetly as is possible.
  • ic
    ic Posts: 3,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Just to ensure they are mentioned - remember that other Europcar/Goldcar brands to avoid are InterRent and Rhodium. I've also seen Rentalcars.com offering "Rentalcars.com recommended" deals, which I'm guessing are probably Goldcar too - they don't reveal the company until after you've paid.
  • brianposter
    brianposter Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    waamo wrote: »
    Given you accepted the deal and drove off in the car I would say your chances are nil.
    Re-reading the original post I think the OP may have a good chance of getting a refund if he/she can get some sort of solid confirmation (email, recording, or in writing) that the credit card was "refused by Goldcar".
    It then becomes clear that a superfluous insurance was required because of a failure by Goldcar..
  • EveryWhere
    Re-reading the original post I think the OP may have a good chance of getting a refund if he/she can get some sort of solid confirmation (email, recording, or in writing) that the credit card was "refused by Goldcar".
    It then becomes clear that a superfluous insurance was required because of a failure by Goldcar..

But they also had the option to walk away.
    I agree that the behaviour of the staff there is totally disgusting, but the problem is that they have accepted and utilised the service for which they have paid.

What if the machine was genuinely faulty(of course no one actually believes that)? The original booking costs was obviously very cheap. If it was more than £20 for the 12 day booking, I would be surprised.

So the OP could simply have moved on to another supplier(there are many, right next to the Goldcar desk) and disputed the amount of the original booking with their CC provider, since the service was not provided within the confines of the contract. It was the responsibility of the provider to have a working device or to provide an acceptable alternative.

In addition, OP would have also had the option to pay the deposit with their debit card. Not desirable, but possibly still a cheaper option.

But instead, they opted to purchase the insurance from GoldCar with their debit card, rather than to look for a better deal with another provider.

So, in conclusion, despicable behaviour by GoldCar. But the OP had options.
  • zaax
    zaax Posts: 1,910 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 16 June 2019 at 11:18PM
    I called the police and the rep got arrested - not Goldstar who I avoid like the plague.

Make a Denucia whilst your there, on 112 or the local police.

https://www.abacoadvisers.com/spain-explained/spanish-law/news/making-police-report-denuncia-in-spain
    Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
  • brianposter
    brianposter Posts: 1,291 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    But they also had the option to walk away.
    I agree that the behaviour of the staff there is totally disgusting, but the problem is that they have accepted and utilised the service for which they have paid.

What if the machine was genuinely faulty(of course no one actually believes that)? The original booking costs was obviously very cheap. If it was more than £20 for the 12 day booking, I would be surprised.

So the OP could simply have moved on to another supplier(there are many, right next to the Goldcar desk) and disputed the amount of the original booking with their CC provider, since the service was not provided within the confines of the contract. It was the responsibility of the provider to have a working device or to provide an acceptable alternative.

In addition, OP would have also had the option to pay the deposit with their debit card. Not desirable, but possibly still a cheaper option.

But instead, they opted to purchase the insurance from GoldCar with their debit card, rather than to look for a better deal with another provider.

So, in conclusion, despicable behaviour by GoldCar. But the OP had options.

Goldcar failed to fulfil their original contract. The OP is expected to mitigate his loss before claiming for the failure to fulfil the contract. He did so by paying for the insurance, which is a reasonable option - the fact that there were other options available is irrelevant.
    If the machine was faulty, it was Goldcars machine and therefore Goldcars problem.
  • EveryWhere
    Goldcar failed to fulfil their original contract. The OP is expected to mitigate his loss before claiming for the failure to fulfil the contract. He did so by paying for the insurance, which is a reasonable option - the fact that there were other options available is irrelevant.
    If the machine was faulty, it was Goldcars machine and therefore Goldcars problem.

?? None of that makes any sense.
    If someone fails to fulfil their side of a contract, that declares it null and void and you would be entitled to be put back in a position equal to before you made the contract. Plus perhaps any costs that you incurred over and above what you would have paid.
    If you decide to accept new conditions, you have created a new rod for your back.
    Mitigating your losses would be to find the next cheapest alternative. But they made no attempt to find an alternative. They just accepted new conditions.

This, in my opinion, was their mistake. Because they purchased the cover and utilised it.
    But complain they should. Because Goldcar Malaga's behaviour in this case was despicable.

The OP should have simply refused the cover, walked away, booked with someone else and then sued Goldcar for the difference.
    Goldcar would be found at fault as they failed to provide the service for which they were contracted. Supply the car at the price agreed and a method to place the authorisation via CC.

Once the OP allowed the contract to be modified, they had a problem.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure