Unidare warm air heater not charging

2»

Comments

• danrv
    danrv Posts: 1,399
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Thanks for the info.
    I have 2kw fan heater just for a quick heat boost and it gets the room warm in about a minute and have to turn it off otherwise too hot.
    My heating situation is a bit of a dilemma as I’m electric only unless I go for
    a complete oil wet system from scratch. Fair bit of distruption, not a lot of room for a tank
    and would need a flue installed too.
    Also fossil fuel.
    My 3 bed house design has ducting and vents in the walls and the Unidare is a central unit.
    Modern storage heaters are space heaters only unfortunately so my dry central heating system is
    not upgradable.
  • danrv
    Forumite
    edited 16 June 2019 at 11:13PM
    matelodave wrote: »
    You appear to be being sucked in by the advertising about so called Chamotte Clay. In what way is this different to the stuff that Fischer put into their heaters and charge silly prices for.

It’s the same. The radiator design seems to be available under different brand names.
    They are expensive but I like the clay idea for retaining heat.
    Not sure if it’s possible but If I can get my E10 off peak times better suited for daytime on demand heating then they would be cheaper to run.
  • coffeehound
    coffeehound Posts: 5,649
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    danrv wrote: »
    My 3 bed house design has ducting and vents in the walls and the Unidare is a central unit.
    Modern storage heaters are space heaters only unfortunately so my dry central heating system is
    not upgradable.

There have been previous threads on here about the ducted warm air systems — it would be worth your while reading them as there are still people out there who can service them, and many users are very happy with the unidare systems by all accounts.

The magic clay radiators are a rip off — they are not proper storage heaters and are unjustifiably expensive; please don’t be sucked in by disingenuous advertising copy.
  • danrv
    Forumite
    There have been previous threads on here about the ducted warm air systems — it would be worth your while reading them as there are still people out there who can service them, and many users are very happy with the unidare systems by all accounts.

The magic clay radiators are a rip off — they are not proper storage heaters and are unjustifiably expensive; please don’t be sucked in by disingenuous advertising copy.

Thanks. I think those threads are mine. Any others seem to be regarding removal and asbestos
    issues.
    I may be wrong but I don’t think anybody is using electric warm air systems now.
    While it worked, it was very good and I could maybe get someone to take a look.
    Also I’d get an asbestos check and opinion on it.
    The cupboard door is lined with it but it has been sealed. Pinned on so would get rid of the whole door if it came to it.

There was a suggestion to check out Elnur storage heaters. Thinking three could be used for downstairs heating but not sure how that would fit in with my electrics.
    If fan operated, I’m assuming they’d need two feeds.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,586
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    edited 17 June 2019 at 6:56AM
    danrv wrote: »
    It’s the same. The radiator design seems to be available under different brand names.
    They are expensive but I like the clay idea for retaining heat.
    Not sure if it’s possible but If I can get my E10 off peak times better suited for daytime on demand heating then they would be cheaper to run.

The are NOT storage heaters, they only retain heat for less than an hour (and of course it will take that long to heat them up in the first place)

Please read the thread about Fischer heaters to find out what people think and some of the horror stories of ridiculously high prices and then high running costs https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3516223&highlight=fischer

Calling it something different or shrouding it in mysterious technospeak doesn't make them better or more efficient.

But in the end it's your money and your choice
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • danrv
    Forumite
    matelodave wrote: »
    The are NOT storage heaters, they only retain heat for less than an hour (and of course it will take that long to heat them up in the first place)

Please read the thread about Fischer heaters to find out what people think and some of the horror stories of ridiculously high prices and then high running costs https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3516223&highlight=fischer

Calling it something different or shrouding it in mysterious technospeak doesn't make them better or more efficient.

But in the end it's your money and your choice

Thanks. Yes, I realize that they’re not storage heaters. Just that they retain heat longer than oil filled rads.
    I have read and do get the whole Fischer thing and have had one of those quotes.
    The fact is that all electric heaters are 100% efficient. The problem is the cost per unit of electricity compared to gas.
    Will need to check how my E10 off peak cost compares to gas prices but I hope to run electric radiators sparingly on off peak electric.
    Hot water is ok as I just turn immersion on for 30mins during off peak hours.
    And yes, agree that the German radiators and the like are way overpriced. A £20 portable heater produces same amount of heat but would like something that’s Lot20 compliant.
  • danrv
    Forumite
    Storage heater now working. I had inadvertently switched it off by somehow knocking one of the white switches in the pic.
    No labelling on them so didn’t think they were anything to do with the heater. Also they’re in an adjacent cupboard rather than in with the unit.
    The electrician went through the whole system and couldn’t figure out why there was no power.
    Basically there’s two sets of isolation switches but as the ones on the main board are nearby,
    there doesn’t seem to be any point in the second ones shown.
    Thanks anyway for the help.

d1e19f76-c9b5-44a2-9aca-16e9d5c81e8a-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Ha! Pilot error? :)

My tenants do this all the time. Glad to hear you have it working again.
  • danrv
    Forumite
    jk0 wrote: »
    Ha! Pilot error? :)

My tenants do this all the time. Glad to hear you have it working again.

Thanks.
    Yes, pilot error :)
    Probably knocked it getting the vac out.
    Cost me best part of a hundred quid but at the same time the whole system was explained so now have much more of an idea.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure