Eon Smart Meter readings?

Options
AnetteF
AnetteF Posts: 6 Forumite
Hi All
Happy New Year - hopefully I'm posting correctly (bit of a noob!) and in the right place!

My eon fixed deal is going to expire later this month so I've decided to look to other suppliers. First time I've looked to do this since getting an eon smart meter which I've stuck with because my meter is in an awkward spot (the savings v convenience= convenience always won!) and I know it's likely to become a dumb meter if I move.

The desktop display component of my smart meter broke about 2 years after the meter was installed and even though I contacted eon several times about a replacement they ignored me. Last time I contacted them I was told I would need a whole new meter putting in as the desktop device isn't replaceable - and they're not installing smart meters in my area right now (I find that hard to believe)

So, fast forward to today. I'm trying to decide how easy it will be to access and get a manual meter reading before I make the leap to another supplier. I was surprised to see that there are no numbers to read on my gas meter. I pressed button A (after doing an online search for my smart meter) Pressing button A should bring up the reading. On my meter it just brings up the words Credit On. So, if I leave eon how can I get a reading for my own records on the day of the swap?
Thank you for reading my post. Any advice welcome.
Anette

Comments

• Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,103 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I'm sure one of our meter readers on the forum will be able to help - what is the make and model number of the meter ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Have you been checking your bills and on-line statements to ensure that Eon have been getting readings and haven't just been estimating your bills.

Even when my meter was smart I still checked and downloaded a statement every month to ensure that my bills and meter reading were correct.

I still have all my previous monthly statements (going back eight years and eight different suppliers) carefully saved as PDF files, just in case of failures of their accounting systems or future problems.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • AnetteF
    Options
    Hi
    Yup I check each time and my bills are always based on an actual reading. I would just like to be able to get my own reading if I swap providers. I have dropped eon another line requesting a new desktop monitor. I'm not holding my breath!
  • AnetteF
    Options
    Hi Robin
    Its a Libra 310P. When I did a search I found an information video showing this meter. In it you just press button A and that should bring up your reading. Mine doesn't. It just brings up the words Credit On.
    My bills are very small so any move will only give me small savings so it's not the end of the world of I don't move supplier. It would be nice to feel I have the option though!
    Anette
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    AnetteF wrote: »
    Hi All
    Happy New Year - hopefully I'm posting correctly (bit of a noob!) and in the right place!

My eon fixed deal is going to expire later this month so I've decided to look to other suppliers. First time I've looked to do this since getting an eon smart meter which I've stuck with because my meter is in an awkward spot (the savings v convenience= convenience always won!) and I know it's likely to become a dumb meter if I move.

The desktop display component of my smart meter broke about 2 years after the meter was installed and even though I contacted eon several times about a replacement they ignored me. Last time I contacted them I was told I would need a whole new meter putting in as the desktop device isn't replaceable - and they're not installing smart meters in my area right now (I find that hard to believe)

So, fast forward to today. I'm trying to decide how easy it will be to access and get a manual meter reading before I make the leap to another supplier. I was surprised to see that there are no numbers to read on my gas meter. I pressed button A (after doing an online search for my smart meter) Pressing button A should bring up the reading. On my meter it just brings up the words Credit On. So, if I leave eon how can I get a reading for my own records on the day of the swap?
    Thank you for reading my post. Any advice welcome.
    Anette
    Hi Robin
    Its a Libra 310P. When I did a search I found an information video showing this meter. In it you just press button A and that should bring up your reading. Mine doesn't. It just brings up the words Credit On.
    My bills are very small so any move will only give me small savings so it's not the end of the world of I don't move supplier. It would be nice to feel I have the option though!
    Anette

Hello AnetteF, welcome to the Forums and a Happy New Year to you too.

To read this particular meter, press and hold button A until you see 'please wait' and then let go. Keep pressing button A to cycle through the screens until you see the 'meter index' screen. This will have the reading on it.

The information our advisor gave you about replacing your faulty In-Home Display is right. The entire metering set-up will need to be replaced. This is because the displays are configured specifically with the meters on installation. We're also using a different type of display as we look to roll-out the new SMETS2 meters.

As well as fitting SMETS2 meters, we're also looking to upgrade many of our existing SMETS1 meters so they're managed in the same way. Both projects will let customers change supplier without losing smart capabilities. I suspect these developments are why we're unable to install new smart meters at the moment. Guessing but, if right, this situation will change as the roll-out continues.

Hope this helps you read your meter AnetteF. Let me know if you need any more information as happy to help.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • AnetteF
    Options
    Thanks Malc
    I will give that a go and hopefully be able to get a reading!
  • AnetteF
    Options
    bit of a ps from my last post -
    just after I posted back to Malc I got a call from eon (I'd used the "contact us" form on their web site to express my angst about my smart meter and previous dealings regarding it) I would have phoned them but it was New Years Day and I suspect nobody was there to hear me. The lady who called was from the Nottingham call center and she was fabulous. I explained my problem and that I've been fobbed off in the past. She tried to patch me through to Smart Meters but couldn't and promised to call me back with answers. I wasn't expecting her to (heard it all before...) but she did. She explained that a whole new meter would indeed have to be installed and offered me a slot to have a newer model installed. (smet2 is it?) She also dealt with another issue I had in in a very kind manner. She kind of restored my faith in Eon if I'm honest.
    By jumping ship to a new supplier I'd be saving about £7 a month but to be honest if I've got a smart meter that works and has a display that works then that's worth £7 a month to me so I shall probably stay with them.
    Thanks for your kind replies folks. Fingers crossed there are no hicups when they come to instal my new meter!
    Anette
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks Malc
    I will give that a go and hopefully be able to get a reading!
    bit of a ps from my last post -
    just after I posted back to Malc I got a call from eon (I'd used the "contact us" form on their web site to express my angst about my smart meter and previous dealings regarding it) I would have phoned them but it was New Years Day and I suspect nobody was there to hear me. The lady who called was from the Nottingham call center and she was fabulous. I explained my problem and that I've been fobbed off in the past. She tried to patch me through to Smart Meters but couldn't and promised to call me back with answers. I wasn't expecting her to (heard it all before...) but she did. She explained that a whole new meter would indeed have to be installed and offered me a slot to have a newer model installed. (smet2 is it?) She also dealt with another issue I had in in a very kind manner. She kind of restored my faith in Eon if I'm honest.
    By jumping ship to a new supplier I'd be saving about £7 a month but to be honest if I've got a smart meter that works and has a display that works then that's worth £7 a month to me so I shall probably stay with them.
    Thanks for your kind replies folks. Fingers crossed there are no hicups when they come to instal my new meter!
    Anette

Nice one Anette. Glad we were able to help.

Yes, the latest smart meters are SMETS2. These meters will let you change supplier without losing the smart features. They come with a new type of display that's a bit different from the one fitted with your existing smart meter. Our technician will tell you all about it when they install your new meter.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure