Inherited tampered Electric Meter

Options
Posting on behalf of brother in law, who is a housing association tenant.

During bathroom upgrade with the installation of electric shower the electronic prepayment meter found to have a fault. The subsequent investigation found it was an inherited fault as we already knew. The fault/tamper was a bridge from terminal 1 and 4.

They have now sent him a bill for £3000 for the past 5 years he has been living there. Even though he has been topping up his usual £10 to £15 a fortnight.(Yes its low he doesn't have washing machine, tumble dryer and doesn't use cooker. He also turned off storage heater's to save money) They are now taking £5 a week out of his credit to repay the supposed debt.

I have been in contact with the investigation unit but being the holidays, the investigator is on holiday and no one in his office will discus this other than provide details of the case.
They state they have used 'industry approved' methods to calculate the average usage for his property type and occupancy(single occupancy,1 bed,middle floor flat) and deducted payments already made and he owes the difference.

Whilst he is waiting on the electric company assisting him with this problem he has had £5 taken from his meter which took all credit causing his electric to go off meaning his freezer and the contents to spoil.(He didn't expect credit to be taken unless 'topping up', he also couldn't afford to put any-more credit on the meter, they only said it would take it when he topped up his meter.)

For information purposes since the meter was replaced he has used 61kw of electricity in approx 6weeks 15/11/18 to 28/12/18..

How is this right? They have proved it wasn't him, he's been paying the money for his electric.

Are they likely to take into account his low usage to reduce the debt, or can it be scrubbed completely as I think it is highly unfair to him as he has had not financial or electrical gain so all this is doing is lining the electric company pockets.

Above all else is this right and fair?!!

Comments

• HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,478 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    When he moved in did he give meter readings?

If so this would prove he had notified them of change of occupancy and start readings for his tenancy.

How did it take 5 years to notice? When you say inherited do you mean a fault from before he moved in?
  • jameswild
    Options
    When he moved in he was given reset key for prepayment meter by the electric company, and then a new key to 'top up' the meter.
    The fault or evidence of tamper was found when an electrician was installing isolator switch for new electric shower, he then notified the electric company to install and subsequently investigate. They then contacted him to say it was inherited but as there a possible gain made from the damage to the meter.

Yes the tamper was found to be from before he moved in.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,885 Forumite
    Options
    jameswild wrote: »
    They have now sent him a bill for £3000 for the past 5 years he has been living there.

Put simply, a supplier can’t seek additional payment for unbilled energy used more than 12 months prior to the error being detected and a corrected bill being issued.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/who-contact-if-its-difficult-paying-energy-bills/energy-backbilling-your-rights

I dont know if the above applies, but its something to check out.
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,377 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    An empty unoccupied house with gas and elec standing charges and a few lights (led bulbs) on timers costs about 70p per day, I'm guessing your brother doesn't watch any tv, own a computer, run a fridge, boil a kettle or have any heating whatsoever etc. We sometimes have properties - 2 or 3 bed houses - standing empty and utility bills are never lower than £25 per month. Heating is not on - we drain it down.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,885 Forumite
    Options
    - 2 or 3 bed houses - standing empty and utility bills are never lower than £25 per month. Heating is not on - we drain it down.

What you need is the Ebico Zero Green Fixed. This is a no standing charge, green, fixed term energy contract.
  • jameswild
    jameswild Posts: 4 Newbie
    edited 2 January 2019 at 11:14PM
    Options
    An empty unoccupied house with gas and elec standing charges and a few lights (led bulbs) on timers costs about 70p per day, I'm guessing your brother doesn't watch any tv, own a computer, run a fridge, boil a kettle or have any heating whatsoever etc. We sometimes have properties - 2 or 3 bed houses - standing empty and utility bills are never lower than £25 per month. Heating is not on - we drain it down.

That's interesting to know. He doesn't own a computer plus it only has electric supply and he has turned of the storage heaters and being a middle floor flat only uses a small halogen heater when he really needs. But spends weekends at his mothers so only uses minimal then.

I have also using the rates stated on his meter based on the 6 weeks usage from his new zero'd meter of 61kw post installation his total annual electric cost would be approximately £250, although I am no energy expert. So an additional £3000 is excessive to say the least.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    sevenhills wrote: »
    Put simply, a supplier can’t seek additional payment for unbilled energy used more than 12 months prior to the error being detected and a corrected bill being issued.

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/consumers/household-gas-and-electricity-guide/who-contact-if-its-difficult-paying-energy-bills/energy-backbilling-your-rights

I dont know if the above applies, but its something to check out.

No it doesn't apply.

The 12 month back-billing provision specifically states it only applies where the company are at fault; and the company are not at fault if the meter has been tampered with to commit fraud.

It would be interesting to know how it was concluded that the tamper applied before he moved in.

In any case it is well established that an energy company can raise a charge if the meter is found to be altered/faulty.
  • jameswild
    Options
    Cardew wrote: »
    No it doesn't apply.

The 12 month back-billing provision specifically states it only applies where the company are at fault; and the company are not at fault if the meter has been tampered with to commit fraud.

It would be interesting to know how it was concluded that the tamper applied before he moved in.

In any case it is well established that an energy company can raise a charge if the meter is found to be altered/faulty.

Didn't think this would apply.

As for how they concluded I am unsure but they have concluded it was an inhereted fault, as I already knew, one assumes by looking at past meter reading from prior to him moving in maybe, as the account was with the same company prior to him moving in.

What I am trying to find out is options for him as this amount is way beyond his means of ever trying to repay and I feel it totally disproportionate to any perceived gain he may have inadvertently received.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    edited 3 January 2019 at 10:19AM
    Options
    People who deal in this area have posted on this forum that on some meters they can determine the actual consumption regardless of the meter readings; no idea if that applies to this case.

On reflection, as your brother in law didn't fit the tamper, it is logical that it would have been in place for the 5 years he has been in occupation.

If he has been 'topping up his usual £10 to £15 a fortnight' that would indicate he has been paying £260 to £390 a year even with the tamper in place. Thus your estimate of £250 pa doesn't seem accurate.

You might get some more information from the Revenue Protection section of the company or try these for advice https://ukrpa.co.uk/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure