Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • Clouds88
    • By Clouds88 7th Jun 19, 8:34 AM
    • 192Posts
    • 177Thanks
    • #1
    • 7th Jun 19, 8:34 AM
    LCWRA Of UC 7th Jun 19 at 8:34 AM
    Hey guys,

    I just have a question and I know you won’t be able to say for definite but I am just wondering what your thoughts are as this is all new to me.

    My husband is suffering from ‘severe depression’ well over a year, tried so many meds and has had some private counselling and now on the waiting list for face to face CBT.

    Anyway, we went off of UC for a month because he gained employment but this then ended because he couldn’t cope with work, his mental health went down hill again and he was feeling anxious (which he doesn’t generally have) and very aggressive at home. So anyway that ended.

    So I am looking into all the possible avenues of what we may be ‘entitled to’. Previously he’s worked for like 15 years and I am hoping if we get this under control again he can return to employment and I’m not trying to benefit scrounge I just want to make sure we are getting what we should so I don’t have to keep worrying about money.

    So, I’ve seen there is an element of UC called LCWRA, should we apply for that? We have asked for a PIP claim form and waiting for that to arrive.

    I earn a ‘good’ part time wage but with the top up UC not being too much and we are private renting ect the cost of living is just so expensive and I want to be able to pay for him to have some more private therapy (we have two children also). So if there is anything else I can think of then please let me know.

    I am so desperate for him to get better so he can earn a proper wage again but pushing him back into work when he isn’t ready classily didn’t work so we’re focusing on trying to get him better. He has just started another antidepressant on top of another antidepressant as he’s just not getting any better.

    Thank you for reading
Page 1
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 7th Jun 19, 5:11 PM
    • 5,422 Posts
    • 5,019 Thanks
    • #2
    • 7th Jun 19, 5:11 PM
    • #2
    • 7th Jun 19, 5:11 PM
    To claim limited capability for work for UC then he'll need to send in fit notes from his GP, then this will start the work capability process off.

    Once he's sent a work capability assessment form that will need to be filled in and returned with all his evidence. Most people have face to face assessments, (like PIP) if this is needed then they'll send him an appointment letter.

    Once a decision is made if he's given LCWRA then he'll receive the extra element from the 4th month of his claim from when he sent in his first fit note.

    Even though this link is for ESA it explains the substantial risk regulation better. Reg 35 is for LCWRA (although known as a different reg under UC, it's the same thing)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,143Posts Today

7,588Users online

Martin's Twitter