Wombling 2019

Hi all - a successor thread to the Wombling 2018 thread
NBLondon wrote: »
I thought about starting a new thread - but depends if anyone else wants to play.
Happy New Year
Is this thread still going? And continuing in 2019?
I stopped posting as thought no one was updating it.
I would love to continue but really only get cc points now.
Hi, I'd love to join in if there is a new thread. I'm just starting to get right into wombling, I always go out litter picking for the wildlife and things and I find loads of receipts there, sometimes a trolley with a pound in too!
So a couple of people do....
Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!

Comments

• NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    For new readers - Wombling is the art of collecting discarded money, vouchers, receipts with unclaimed loyalty points or as the song says:
    Making good use of the things that we find,
    Things that the everyday folk leave behind.
    The most obvious targets are supermarket car parks; many people discard receipts as they go and if there are unclaimed loyalty points on these, the wombler could add these to their own account by taking them to the customer service desk and claiming they had forgotten their card on a previous trip. Till spits (money off vouchers from the till) can also be found.

As AppleCrumble44 notes above - abandoned trolleys sometimes have a pound coin left in them and the dutiful wombler could bring these back to the store and release the coin.

My own favourite target is the Coinstar machine that turns your loose change into vouchers for a commission. I find that some users either don't check the return chute after they have emptied in a jarful of coins or they leave behind any foreign currency (or leave it on top of the machine or throw it on the floor!). So the wombler scoops these up...

And of course - roadkill - coins or notes dropped in public places. I wouldn't go out specifically hunting it but if I spot a gleam of silver; it's fair game.

Some people might like to share their tips or celebrate big/interesting finds here. Or report their progress and end of year totals.

Happy Wombling!
  • NBLondon
    Sort of a secondhand womble yesterday... M'wife had a clear out at work and brought home a jumble of foreign coins left by visiting lecturers. Most of them are defunct - Deutschmarks, Finnmarks, Guilders, Francs, Drachma but there are some more yen (75p worth); a few cents; some that might be Iranian rials; 100 Indonesian rupiah (1/2p) and a couple of small ones I can't identify yet.
  • Annie35
    Annie35 Posts: 385 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Husband picked up lots of left receipts from the self serve machine & claimed 90p in dividends �� it was just before I found receipthog or I could have added these too ��
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon wrote: »
    and a couple of small ones I can't identify yet.
    They turned out be Swedish ore. And the Iranian rials were actually obsolete Egyptian piastres. But on the upside I took my accumulated euro, dollars and other small stuff to the fourex machine at St Pancras yesterday and converted to £1.89 of usable cash.

If you're going "what's that" - they are kiosks that exchange foreign currency (including coins). They keep 9.5% back (worse than a Coinstar) but when changing "free" money I can live with that. Only in the South East at the moment but they can be seen at motorway services so maybe expanding to the rest of you in time.
  • NBLondon
    A mate of mine tells me that he does quite well at spotting dropped notes and even more so since the plastic £5 and £10 came in. His theory is that the plastic notes are slippery and likely to be dropped where there are lots of people paying off cabs - in his case outside the hospital where he works. So the same could apply to stations, hotels etc. Keep your eyes open if you are passing ;)
  • NBLondon
    First round pound of the year. Absolutely filthy so it's soaking in a shot glass of pickling vinegar before it gets handed to the bank next time I'm passing.
  • NBLondon
    Some new currencies for the pile - a Bulgarian Lev (43-44p); 2 Nepalese rupees (1.3p); 5 Romanian Bani (0.9p).
  • You could also use the receipt numbers from 'wombled' supermarket receipts to enter their customer service prize draws - Morrisons, Waitrose, Sainsburys (lettuceknow.com) and Booths all have this sort of scheme.

Tescos have a scheme whereby they will give you 25 clubcard points for your feedback.

Ok, not get rich quick but a little reward for doing your public service and picking up others' litter!!
  • NBLondon
    Big hit this weekend. $0.82 A$0.11 C$0.32 €0.11 - some kopecks and a 1963 quarter guilder. Maybe a pound's worth when all changed up.
  • NBLondon
    Bit of a slow year - but the occasional big hit - €0.90 and $0.26 is worth grabbing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure