Virgin Media and leaving

Hi all,
Long time lurker, first time poster and I'm looking for some help.
We got our bill increase letter in from Virgin Media today stating ours is going up, at the bottom it says we can leave penalty free up until 31st October.
I called up to exercise this option and was told they will waiver the price increase and then that I can no longer leave and that statement no longer applies to us as they have resolved the reason on why we wanted to leave we can no longer leave as under contract. What are my options and I'm REALLY wanting to leave them.
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    You leave under OFCOM rules just give them your notice.
    But if you have entered a new contract that no longer applies .You would have to agree to a new contract even if the price is the same .
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    They don't seam to be playing by the rules do they. (don't know why I am surprised!)

Ring again, be more confident and firm.
  • Thanks for replies.
    Any dealings I have had with VM always seems awkward and difficult, never fair.
    I've not agreed to anything, I entered a new contract beginning of August after dropping TV and phone calls during the UKTV fiasco and moved TV back to Sky.
    Is it just a case of keep trying or do they log all phone calls and will revert back to the "that does not apply to you" line?
  • JJ_Egan
    Forumite
    <I entered a new contract beginning of August.

Does no price rise apply to this contract ??
  • I'm not sure, I never received one, says in my online account my contract is unsigned but I did agree over the phone when cancelling TV and phone and keeping the Broadband. Does that impact me negatively if not in the t+c's even though letter says I can cancel?
  • JJ_Egan
    Forumite
    Some contracts may not be included in the price rise .
    If your contract August 2018 is not subject to the new price rise then you have no right to cancel without paying contract .
    But must admit the OP was rather confusing .
  • I'm sorry, what part is confusing and I will try to clarify.

We had the VIP bundle but when VM temp lost the UKTV channels we moved the TV to Sky, keeping the BB and they entered me in a new contract on BB only.

Now we have received written notification of a price rise on our monthly sub from 1st Nov 2018. At the bottom of the letter it says we can leave penalty free if we inform them by 31st Oct 2018.

When I try to cancel they say we will give you a discount to the value of the price increase, therefore we are not affected by price rise and is longer a reason for us to leave so wont let me cancel.

Hope thats clearer?
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    It always says the contract is unsigned. But it means nothing. It still applies after 14 days.

Just completed my VM leaving survey. :D Took about 20 mins

Need to drop off the router now at my local collect+ store
  • Lucky you! Congratulations....good luck with your new supplier, I'm looking at Ofcom's fairer deal and seen this:

This Guidance sets out that:

Ofcom is likely to regard any increase to the recurring monthly subscription charge in a fixed-term contract as 'materially detrimental' to consumers;
    providers should therefore give consumers at least 30 days' notice of any such price rise and allow them to exit their contract without penalty; and
    any changes to contract terms, pricing or otherwise, must be communicated clearly and transparently to consumers.

Can I use that to get out?
  • You may have received a bulk letter that doesn't apply to you or perhaps it's because you've not long left the TV package. If you are not materially disadvantaged then they are within their rights to hold you to the contract you agreed to.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure