PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Why don’t can openers work anymore?

Over the last year I had found that my can openers won’t open tins like they used to. I have tried four different openers and I have now also brought an electric can opener but we all struggle to open tins. These are Asda Tesco and Aldi tins but they are value or the shop own brand products and we have found that premium tins eg Heinz beans etc open easily....... so what is going on?... does anyone else have this problem?

Comments

• C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,023
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Yes, I've noticed this too. The only tinned food I buy regularly is Aldi chopped tomatoes (and sometimes their tinned kidney beans or baked beans) and I have been blaming my ancient tin opener for its lack of function. It's more than annoying, it's actually quite dangerous as I'm very likely to cut myself trying to pry the not-quite-cut-through lid from the tin. Thankfully Aldi cat food tins have ring pull openers, otherwise I would be permanently grumpy!
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I've had no problems; I use @ldi budget chopped toms a lot, and my ancient electric K£nwood opener copes just fine.

I actually struggle with ring-pulls - even using one of those gadgets to give more leverage, I often have to get Mr LW to open ring pull cans for me; and I also find sometimes the ring becomes detached without opening the can, leaving me to have to use the afore-mentioned K£nwood.
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • I feel your pain. I have bought 3 new tin openers and no one worked so now I can only buy cans with ring pulls.
  • Yes, I've found that some cans seem to be hard to open.. It's maddening when the can opener misses bits. I can't remember which cans are more likely to do it than others though.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Can openers and potato peelers are the Bain of my life

I have found one can opener which is working, an old fashioned winged one that cost a £1

Still can't find a potato peeler that works well for me. Last one I got on with was a 50p one from Ikea and they discontinued them :(
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,689
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Sometimes mine work, sometimes they don't and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. :( If all else fails, I have one of the old-fashioned "stab the can" types. :D Not keen on the ring pull type of tin (dangerous imo) and don't get me started on tins of corned beef! Why can't it come in a round tin? :think:
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 11,958
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Interesting topic!

I have real problems with modern can openers, can't get them to work and I've tried lots of different types.

My default opener is the one my DM brought with her from her home in Germany in the middle 1950s.

Mine isn't as shiny as this one, it's decidely well used and rather dull, however I can use it and won't throw it out. There's two different types of moderns ones languishing in my kitchen drawer and they will stay there for a long while yet.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    YorksLass wrote: »
    Sometimes mine work, sometimes they don't and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. :( If all else fails, I have one of the old-fashioned "stab the can" types. :D Not keen on the ring pull type of tin (dangerous imo) and don't get me started on tins of corned beef! Why can't it come in a round tin? :think:

M & S sells corned beef in a round tin. I saw some last week and was astonished! Sainsbury's used to sell it in round tins years ago, but not any more unfortunately.

About tin openers not working - I think the rims on a lot of tins are deeper than they used to be. Like a previous poster, I find the "winged" type works as a rule. Not always though :(
  • glentoran99
    glentoran99 Posts: 5,821
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Always find slicing the top off horizontally rather than cutting into the top bit vertically works better (if that makes sense)
  • Hi. I was looking for info to see if others are having can opener problems like me, and I read that you have problems as well with potato pealers. I did also until someone told me about the Swedish made pealer. I've loved it for probably 15-20 years now and even bought extras for my daughter and myself. I got it from Pampered Chef. I don't know if they still sell them. I'm still looking for a decent can opener though. I think the food manufacturers are using cheaper thinner tin cans. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure