PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Winchelsea wrote: »
    Actually my lunchtime curry is pretty similar to yours Save Dosh - lentil, sweet potato and spinach, plus a bit of onion, garlic etc!
    Love it, I also add some red lentils to pad out. I normally use Thai Green Curry paste, but out of that, so im going to use curry powder in stores. We shall see.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Apologies, I don't post for ages, then you can't get rid of me. I have a ton of onions, any good soup recipes, I prefer simple recipes, also have some gram flour, so was thinking onion bhaji, anyone have a tried and tested recipe for that. Thanks. xx
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,617 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Now I know what I am serving for dinner - it might involve lentils, sweet potato and spinach (from freezer)!
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ginmonster wrote: »
    Mmmm.. sweet potato, chickpea and spinach curry sounds lovely Save Dosh. I have all those things so I might make some too.

Anyone got any good ideas for what to do with Jerusalem artichokes? I got some in my veg box yesterday and I'm really not a massive fan but I'm not going to waste them. I also got sprouts - our house is going to need the windows open!

jersulem artichokes I grow them, good in soup - recipe on BBC good food site, also try them roasted just like potatoes and I also use them in casseroles.
  • K9sandFelines
    Options
    Read up but need to fess up to ins/outs. Here goes :

Tues 31st
    In: hoagies x 2, hovis,chicken bites, lettuce, fridge raiders

Out - banana, end of tin of guava halves, four or so strawbs, 1/4 of large pot alpro
    scandi nut burgers, two wholemeal wraps, vegan apple pie, two slices milk roll, chicago town classic crust pizzas, pizza toasties, two slices bread from end of loaf, one egg, some ham, 2 x cheese slices, 1 pk hoagies, half pack of vegan hotdogs. End of carton hemp milk

Weds 1st

In - nothing as far as I can remember. Had granddaughter so didn't venture out.

Out - small pkt melba toast, last of eggs (4), pk of hoagies, 1/5 bag of tagliatelle, half an onion, three large mushrooms, last of frozen courgette, last of punnet of cherry tomatoes, garlic baguette, small portion of conchigle, frozen passata, black bananas (if not already mentioned), end of packet of choc chips, and end pkt of brown sugar, fridge raiders for packed lunch and various bottled water/cartons, apples, crisps etc (lost track.of what dd has took)
    Made muffins - gave six to DD1 and ate other six. Also made vegan bakewell tart.

Thurs 2nd

In: coffee, cucumber, red pepper, chips, alpro custard

Out : 3/4 onion bagels, last of cucumber, half a bag of frozen chips, half pepper (already in the fridge) two large mushrooms (bought several reduced punnets about a week ago), can of coconut milk, half bunch spring onions, last of bag of vegan quorn chicken (have half curry in fridge to be used up), tin of soup, few biscuits, bits of tea/coffee, half of chicken bites for pack lunch. Bakewell tart with a smidge of custard

Today
    In - nothing so far except possibly milk later for dd2 and a few things off topcashback (plain flour - need to check prices) and mountain dew

Out - Bakewell tart and half pie from pie man. (It's that time of the month so im sleeping alot and eating crap. Thankfully i've been off work W-T-F, but will have to try and sleep tonight and eat better tomorrow) .Planning on using Seitan in fridge today and really.need to put rest in freezer before it goes dodgy. Will have that with roasted fennel which has been in my fridge way too long, roasted parsnip and possibly sprouts from chest freezer if I can find them. DD2 wanted to have a curry but i've forgotten to take the chicken out to defrost. Maybe she can eat the other half of my Vegan Massaman from last night?

Will report back on any ins/outs again soon.
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £103.76 as of 6/4/24
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • 117pauline
    Options
    Got a fantastic haul from the Sainsburys swipe extra points - 10 100 - worth £50.50!!!!!! On a total shop of £70.86.

However that means there are quite a few INs:
    24 magnums (OH bribery)
    frozen rice
    4 toothpaste
    fruit
    veg
    cream (to use with XMas leftover meringues)

And I have replaced some rather battered kitchen utensils with some lovely Good Housekeeping new ones

Out
    Soup
    potatoes
    2 salmon fillets
    seasonings etc
    peas, sweetcorn etc
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Ginmonster wrote: »
    Anyone got any good ideas for what to do with Jerusalem artichokes? I got some in my veg box yesterday and I'm really not a massive fan but I'm not going to waste them. I also got sprouts - our house is going to need the windows open!

Ah yes, known affectionately as fart-bombs in our house :)
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • Ginmonster
    Options
    zafiro1984 wrote: »
    jersulem artichokes I grow them, good in soup - recipe on BBC good food site, also try them roasted just like potatoes and I also use them in casseroles.

Thanks - I've only ever done soup with them but roasting's a good idea. Fat makes most things taste better doesn't it?
  • JensFeet
    JensFeet Posts: 83 Forumite
    Options
    Amazing points haul 117Pauline!! Wowsers.

I nipped in for the few missing things and spent £28.90 which is double what I expected to spend but I went waaaaaaaay off list. Got a few YS at A$da including extra large chicken for £2.92 for the freezer, sandwich meat and a 50p box of own brand cornflakes. Also impulse bought the ingredients for making 3 big jars of chilli jam which goes perfectly with my (ridiculous) brie collection. Wasn't impressed with their price for fabric softener or Kenco so left that off and nipped in to BandM to look at their choices. Ended up buying 220g Cadbury's Highlights Fudge pot (£1.59) and Caramel (marked up £1.59 on shelf edge but scanned through at 49p!). Also 2 pots of 200g instant horlicks for 69p each. Then thought I'd splash out on a bag of choc orange eclairs each at 49p a bag. So STILL need Kenco and fabric softener in the next couple of weeks but no rush.

In: extra large whole chicken (F)
    low cal hot choc drinks for me (sugary drinks don't agree with me at all), sweets for kids (I know I said I wasn't going to buy more but epic fail)

Out: x2 large chicken breasts (save 1/2 of one for shredding into tomorrow night tea) - chicken fajita for tea and still not got a lettuce but using grated carrot, red onion, white cabbage and radish salad to go with it.

Excited about making chilli jam tomorrow - ingredients approx £5 but worth it to me as it's lush. (Just Nigella's recipe but with added garlic, tomatoes and red onion so I suppose more like a chutney). Was gutted to realise that I'd left a bag of red chillis at the checkout in A$da - waste of 50p but also waste of chilli into the jam (but loads of dried chilli flakes in the stores).

Off to look for a recipe for making saucy Chinese ribs for tomorrow night tea... Hope everybody is keeping well x
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,088 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 February 2017 at 8:59PM
    Options
    In: [STRIKE]6 chicken thighs[/STRIKE] will sort these out tomorrow
    Out: Kenco, 2 portions Lasagne, 2 portions garlic bread, oven chips
    Used up: White cabbage, spring onions, carrots

Jensfeet - Nigella's marinade for sticky soy sausages (Nigella express) is lovely with ribs:)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback