MSE News: HMV administration Q&A: gift card, refund and job rights

Comments

• I have some Fopp vouchers.

Can anyone confirm if the situation with these is the same as HMV?

Thanks
  • Samba123 wrote: »
    Please do - I'm in exactly the same boat having bought £200 of evouchers from the same deal so hoping Amex will do something.
    Me too! I bought £480 worth =/. I actually was warned on this forum to use my vouchers about two weeks ago as it looked like HMV might go into administration. I tried unsucessfully to use them over the 2 week period, first my account was suspended for a week due to "suspicious purchases", and then the items were out of stock.

I called amex last week about this and said I was worried HMV was going into administration, that HMV was not letting me redeem them and that my vouchers would be worthless if they did go under. The guy was very nice but didnt seem to treat my suspicion that HMV might go into administration seriously. He said if it did, I would be fully protected, but I don't think he really thought through what he was saying as he didn't think it was a serious possibility.

I will be very angry if Amex don't protect me on this after beign told I would be.
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    I have some Fopp vouchers.

Can anyone confirm if the situation with these is the same as HMV?

Thanks

Yes. Fopp Entertainments Ltd has also gone into administration.

See:
    http://www.deloitte.com/view/en_GB/uk/services/corporate-finance/93a34f0356f3c310VgnVCM3000003456f70aRCRD.htm
  • Hi

I had a gift voucher purchased for me it was for £20 but have spent £3. I know it was purchased with a debit card but because it wouldn't be the full amount would the person be able to claim it back?
  • dtferguson wrote: »
    Hi

I had a gift voucher purchased for me it was for £20 but have spent £3. I know it was purchased with a debit card but because it wouldn't be the full amount would the person be able to claim it back?

Doubt it, not due to the £3 spend, but because a Debit card
  • I repeat, administration did not occur until around 6pm on Monday. So why weren't gift cards accepted right up to that point?
  • Helix
    Helix Posts: 2,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    andrew1211 wrote: »
    I repeat, administration did not occur until around 6pm on Monday. So why weren't gift cards accepted right up to that point?

Does it really matter? What can anyone do about it if they should have been accepting vouchers until that point, HMV as they were don't exist anymore.
  • Gueld
    Gueld Posts: 415 Forumite
    Rather than freaking out about vouchers, be patient and see what happens. Comet's administrators decided to eventually accept vouchers. Plus there is a lot of talk in the news about potential buyers for HMV. There have been reports of people throwing product at employees for rejecting vouchers, pretty disgusting.
  • Gueld
    Can you use your HMV Pure Points that are loaded onto the cards?

No. Basically the staff are under orders to accept no vouchers, no points and perform no refunds or exchanges until further notice.
  • Gueld
    bestyman wrote: »
    Good on him. I would do the same if I had a voucher. I would leave the vouchers and my name and address and walk out. I`m not sure what the charge would be?

Probably the same charge you would get if you walked into Topshop, took a shirt and told them you'll send a cheque in the mail.

Shoplifting.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport