Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 13th Sep 11, 6:22 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Ryanair 'sticks two fingers up at passengers' with new card fees
    • 13th Sep 11, 6:22 PM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Ryanair 'sticks two fingers up at passengers' with new card fees 13th Sep 11 at 6:22 PM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Ryanair will make it even harder to avoid fees by only waiving the £12 charge for passengers with the airline's plastic ..."

Page 5
  • 2sides2everystory
    It strikes me that Ryanair behaves exactly like the rioters - they create trouble this way and that way and smash and grab when they know the OFT and other regulators are simply overwhelmed by reports of such behaviour and already swamped by attempting to prosecute what these anti-social citizens have been doing already.

I say hold a quick-fire court hearing at midnight tonight and take away this lawless snotty-nosed kid's accommodation at all taxpayer subsidised airports and all UK taxpayer subsidised aviation fuel bowsers in the morning.

Bye bye Ryunfair
  • Jonnytwotimes
    That's not a good comparison, because train companies don't use higher paying passengers to subsidise lower paying passengers, at least not to any significant extent compared to airlines. When you pay Ryanair without a card surcharge, you are being subsidised by those who do pay the card surcharge; likewise when you pay a low headline fare, you are being subsidised by those who pay a high headline fare. The price you pay for rail travel more closely reflects the average cost per passenger, whereas this is not true of air fares, nor of card surcharges. Also the card surcharges do not reflect the cost of accepting the payment method, especially as prepaid MasterCards actually cost Ryanair more to accept than debit cards. Until now, Ryanair's choice of "free" payment method has been based on the payment method's obscurity rather than its cost of accepting it.
    Originally posted by NFH
    I understand your point entirely but for me personally the bottom line is rail travel is ridiculously expensive compared to air travel regardless of the economics of it. True the comparison may not be far but just now I checked Ryanair and I or anyone with a prepaid Mastercard can fly from London Stansted to Frankfurt on the 15th Nov to the 17th for £18 return. Of course I dont expect first class service or to be treated like I would if I was flying Virgin.
  • FUNKY1
    Just a note i tried booking ryanair flights via a travel company and hey Presto i didnt get charged the booking fees for each leg just a £1.20 card charge i think i can live with that. Thats my 2 fingers to Ryanairs charges
  • thefenman
    Did he get his €s?
    • apt
    • By apt 14th Sep 11, 10:10 AM
    • 3,087 Posts
    • 1,750 Thanks
    apt
    I understand your point entirely but for me personally the bottom line is rail travel is ridiculously expensive compared to air travel regardless of the economics of it. True the comparison may not be far but just now I checked Ryanair and I or anyone with a prepaid Mastercard can fly from London Stansted to Frankfurt on the 15th Nov to the 17th for £18 return. Of course I dont expect first class service or to be treated like I would if I was flying Virgin.
    Originally posted by Jonnytwotimes
    You should not expect to land anywhere near Frankfurt either. You are comparing the cheapest flights on Ryanair with the most expensive railfares. If you book in advance and travel at less popular times, which you need to do to get the cheapest Ryanair flights, you can also get low prices for rail travel and you won't be pestered by adverts trying to flog you useless products every few minutes.
  • LiquidPaddy
    Funny, but if u look at an advert from Ryanair in 1988
    I thought readers might be interested in an old advert from Ryanair about pricing and charges that appeared on broadsheet.ie (an Irish comedic website). It's showing Ryanair was the polar opposite of its current approach to charges when it started, your silly site won't allow me to post the link () even tho it is a valid website, so go to broadsheet dot ie and scroll down to the Ryanair 1988 article and pic....

I've only travelled a couple of times with Ryanair, as Aer Lingus has become quite expensive. Once to Rygge in Norway (flights were cheap but Norway was another matter!) and a flight to Luton. For both I used the payzone mastercard, which saved me paying for some of the charges.

Thanks for heads up on the Ryanair card; I hope it's going to be prepaid one, as I won't apply for a "real" credit card on principle.
    I noticed, on Ryanair's Irish website, that it offers it's own Credit Card, run by MBNA.... is that the same MBNA that closed in Ireland recently, with 700 job losses looming??? pfft!

Keep up the good work... your Ryanair article made the Huffington Post today!
    • richardw
    • By richardw 14th Sep 11, 10:13 AM
    • 19,025 Posts
    • 8,028 Thanks
    richardw
    I thought readers might be interested in an old advert from Ryanair about pricing and charges that appeared on broadsheet.ie (an Irish comedic website). It's showing Ryanair was the polar opposite of its current approach to charges when it started...... go to
    Originally posted by LiquidPaddy
    http://www.broadsheet.ie/2011/09/14/ryanair-1988/
    Last edited by richardw; 14-09-2011 at 10:16 AM.
  • gumpyone
    ryanair
    Originally Posted by KTM Gordo
    Everyone moans about Ryanair, but people still fly with them. People like 'cheap' - they're obsessed with low price.

We know that Ryanair add £6 to each flight, plus a fee if you want to actually fly, but if they fly where we want to go at the right time and for a price we are happy with, we'll still fly Ryanair.

Yes, the card fees are unfair but they're hardly a secret.

If you don't like it, fly with another airline, take the ferry or book a coach - all of which charge card fees

KTM has it exactly right but it does not stop us not liking them!!
    The charge does not appear until after you have paid as far as I can see and the other charge I cringe at is the web check in fee where we do all the work!!
  • Tugboatden
    Ryanair have a very clear business model that they are very forthright in articulating. Their business model isn't based in brand loyalty, it's purely transactional. They work on the principle that on balance, allowing for the disaffected dropping off, they will still turn in the passenger numbers. Which they do.
  • aveit
    March
    Is anyone that surprised. O'leary did say Prepaid Mastercards were a limited offer. So he's found another way to feed the cash cow. Surprise, surprise. Not many more details forthcoming at the moment, not even included in the website fees total (I checked). Cash passports have been going for a while now and don't tend to have the same minefield as Prepaid Mastercards. That said, check all terms and conditions carefully. Not that they've printed any yet but I did question this on the press release:

'Ryanair’s £6 admin fee will not apply to any bookings made with ‘Ryanair Cash Passport’ and there are NO transaction charges for using the card at UK MERCHANTS until 31st March 2012, so we recommend that UK passengers make the switch to ‘Ryanair Cash Passport’ as soon as possible to take advantage of the no fee offer.”
    • baldmosher
    • By baldmosher 14th Sep 11, 10:25 AM
    • 71 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    baldmosher
    I always expect to pay fees for everything with Ryanair, and I also expect I will have to pay a few extras, but sometimes not. I can live with added fees, all I care about is whether I've got a flight cheaper than another airline. In most cases, I have, but not always. Me and my dad flew BHX-Weeze for 50p each way each, all in. That return flight would now be £13 each, all in, even if I use a credit card.

Compare with this story: last time (the only time!) I booked with Easyjet, LPL-AMS, basic return price of £65, I got all the way to the final confirmation screen, after five minutes of skipping joyfully past six screens of optional added-extras, only to be told my chosen flights had gone up in price by £25 each, and did I still want them. Now THAT is annoying.
    Last edited by baldmosher; 14-09-2011 at 10:27 AM.
    • steveybp
    • By steveybp 14th Sep 11, 10:25 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    steveybp
    Like others - I got fed up long ago of being herded like sheep, having a very unpleasant ride by poor pilots, and paying through the nose for basics when Ryanair advertise a much lower fare. I refuse to fly with them now; given a choice I'll either take the train, or an alternative airline and pay the extra. If you want a cheap flight, stop moaning about the cheap way they treat you.
    • apt
    • By apt 14th Sep 11, 10:29 AM
    • 3,087 Posts
    • 1,750 Thanks
    apt
    Ryanair have a very clear business model that they are very forthright in articulating. Their business model isn't based in brand loyalty, it's purely transactional. They work on the principle that on balance, allowing for the disaffected dropping off, they will still turn in the passenger numbers. Which they do.
    Originally posted by Tugboatden
    Do they? Ryanair is having to keep an increasing number of planes on the ground during the winter and it's load factor in the summer is lower than easyJet. When the authorities finally get round to clamping down on airport subsidies, 'marketing support' and extortionate card fees Ryanair will live to regret alienating so many potential customers.
    • NFH
    • By NFH 14th Sep 11, 10:32 AM
    • 4,329 Posts
    • 1,415 Thanks
    NFH
    Compare with this story: last time (the only time!) I booked with Easyjet, LPL-AMS, basic return price of £65, I got all the way to the final confirmation screen, after five minutes of skipping joyfully past six screens of optional added-extras, only to be told my chosen flights had gone up in price by £25 each, and did I still want them. Now THAT is annoying.
    Originally posted by baldmosher
    That happens with all airlines. When I tried to book two seats for my wife and me on BA once, only one seat was available at the lowest fare. In order to beat or test the system, we therefore made separate bookings from separate PCs, and we both clicked on the final commit button at the same time. One of our bookings was rejected and had to pay the higher fare, as expected. If you don't know the passenger who's got in there before you, it is of course annoying.
  • BennyTheBoy
    Card Charges
    I would just like to say that while I disagree with the charges for paying on Credit or Debit cards and I agree that Ryan Air in particular should be made to add these to there healine cost please dont forget that the operator pays huge amounts for you to pay by these methods so that you can pay it off over a prelonged period if using a credit card.
    I work for a tour operator and we pay a massive 3.5% for each CC payment but make it clear to our clients that any CC payments will carry a charge of 2.5%. So we obsorb 1% of the charge. Why should we?
    However we dont charge for debit cards even though we stil pay 60pence per transaction.
    This has only been in the last few years as for some reason banks now see ALL TRAVEL COMPANIES no matter how long you have been operating for as a high risk. Even though your money has to by law be protected under a variety of different schemes.
    At the end of the day we pay for customers to pay us and where credit cards are concerned why should your ability to pay for something over a prelonged period be made free? We pay for it and it comes from our profits. Why shouldnt you?

Finally I would like to add that the only way we (cosumers and companies) can ever tackle this properly is to sort the entire banking system out and say no to charges that companies are charged and then make charging clients illegal. That way everyone is on the same level playing field.

Ben
    Last edited by BennyTheBoy; 14-09-2011 at 10:40 AM.
    • richardw
    • By richardw 14th Sep 11, 10:45 AM
    • 19,025 Posts
    • 8,028 Thanks
    richardw
    I work for a tour operator and we pay a massive 3.5% for each CC payment but make it clear to our clients that any CC payments will carry a charge of 2.5%. So we obsorb 1% of the charge. Why should we?
    However we dont charge for debit cards even though we stil pay 60pence per transaction.
    Originally posted by BennyTheBoy
    I'm more than happen to let ryanair charge me 3.5% for a CC and 60p for a debit card, you could call it actual cost, make it level across all airlines and then they can compete on fares.
    • NFH
    • By NFH 14th Sep 11, 10:49 AM
    • 4,329 Posts
    • 1,415 Thanks
    NFH
    It costs Ryanair around 20p per debit card transaction.

We pay for it and it comes from our profits. Why shouldnt you?
    Fine, but why does Ryanair charge £6 per passenger per flight segment to process a debit card transaction? For a family of four on a return flight, that's £48 when the cost to Ryanair is negligible.

make charging clients illegal.
    The card companies used to contractually prevent retailers from passing on these charges to consumers, but this practice was outlawed by the Credit Cards (Price Discrimination) Order 1990.
  • DavidHWB
    Ryan Air Least Favourite Airline
    Ryan Air must be the country's least favourite airline but they don't care as they are often the only one. Ryan Air is my airline of last resort.
  • Air Traveller
    Ryan Air have totally revolutionised air travel in Europe and their total prices are always significantly lower than any other airline operator. It is churlish to go on about their booking charges as all the others do exactly the same. Frankly, if the charges concern you, then book an equivalent flight with another airline and pay the extra £150 to £200 for the privilege. With Ryan Air you know what you are getting and if you play by their rules then you get an extremely good deal.
    • mikeeboy
    • By mikeeboy 14th Sep 11, 10:52 AM
    • 167 Posts
    • 105 Thanks
    mikeeboy
    It frustrates me so much when people jump on the 'I hate Ryanair' bandwagon. How are they ripping me off when I can fly somewhere on time with a suitable bag for cheaper than anyone else?

People need to take the blinkers off, and stop hiding behind headline prices. Everyone knows you're 1 click away from a total price plus any card charges. A lot of people who just use hand luggage are well pleased they don't have to pay for hold luggage.

Anyway, back to this, it's a bit of a kick in the teeth, but no harm in getting one. The one thing that's bugging me though is the inactivity charge. This isn't really a Ryanair thing, but a cash passport thing. So I've been on their website and some of the cards that are already out there have 12 and 15 month inactivity charges.

So where has this 6 month inactivity thing come from for the Ryanair charge? I can't find that anywhere. If it's true, it would be a right pain for annual travellers, although how can they take anything from an empty prepaid card??

Mind you with a £150 minimum load there's a chance there could be some leftovers after a flight booking?

Other than that, I'm all for it if I can get access to it. It keeps my flight prices down. For the last 2 years I've had 2 prepaid cards. One of them in Euros, and booking return flights separately in Euros making an even further saving.

The do gooders won't be happy until that £6 is in the flight price - then we'll all have to pay it!
    Last edited by mikeeboy; 14-09-2011 at 10:57 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,989Posts Today

6,382Users online

Martin's Twitter