Not sure what to do about job

Hi all,
I started a new job in January, same sort of role but in a different sector. However, I'm not sure it's for me. I like the work and love the hours but I dont have enough work to do and get bored. Ive come from a very busy sector into a more relaxed, flexible one.
I've seen a job that would take me back to again a slightly different sector, one I've not worked in before but in the same sort of busy environment I'm used to. I think I'd like to apply but having only been here since January I worry how it will look on me. I also worry that again I wont be happy and then it's too late!
I've got a bad record with 4 jobs in 5 years already. 1 I left my first job to do a training role and then that training role was a fixed term contract so it's not as bad as its looks but I am very aware I cant keep doing this. I'm only 26 so my experience is limited. I work in the NHS so whichever I pick will have similar conditions/pay/pention etc

Any advice?

Thank you

Comments

• spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Can you not asked your manager for other jobs to do?

Im guessing they dont encourage you to sit there bored do they?
  • jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I think I'd like to apply but having only been here since January I worry how it will look on me.

Does it matter? If you apply for the new job and get it, then you've got it. As long as you stick with that job a while you'll be alright.
    Can you not asked your manager for other jobs to do?

I'm guessing they don't encourage you to sit there bored do they?

I'm guessing the OP has moved from a reactive environment to a more proactive one. I did that once and also moved back asap. Some people (me included) just work better and enjoy work more when things are constantly happening they have to react to, others prefer to have more space, time and control over their work.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,453 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Asking the manager for other work to do can be a double edged sword. If the OP is currently doing the same amount of work as everybody else he risks rocking the boat and causing friction with his work colleagues. If he does take on more work that may also cause resentment if others see 'the new boy' as sucking up to the boss.
    I'm not saying not to ask, just to be aware of the possible knock on.
  • Thank you all. I have asked for extra work in that I volunteer for every training going, offer whatever I can etc. I work around a few areas and am not directly supervised, but it's not that I am sat bored but more I get all my work done very easily and then have to hunt around for stuff to do. I was warned when I started the pace was a lot slower and to take time with stuff, but I just dont think suits me.
    Thanks for the reassurance, I think I probably will apply. I guess I am just nervous that I will make another wrong choice, and then every wrong choice I make means another short stint in a job which adds up! I'm an over thinker if you hadn't guessed :o
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Look for things to do that will make money, cut cost, improve services, bring in more work etc.

Could you take on all the work of someone else and give them a chance to cut staff.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure