MSE News: Santander adds 18 months 0% spending to best-buy cashback credit card

"Borrowers can now get 18 months interest-free spending for 18 months, plus up to 3% cashback with Santander's 123 card"
Read the full story:

Santander adds 18 months 0% spending to best-buy cashback credit card

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Comments

• pjread
    pjread Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Existing cardholders won't automatically be given the 18 months 0% spending, but Santander says it will contact current users to offer it to them. Cardholders can also contact Santander to get the deal.

This surprises me, but in a good way, I was looking for a decent 0% spend card to start a little stooze!
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Caught me at a good time. The 5% interest on up to £2,500 FlexDirect account from Nationwide has just stopped paying 5%, after the first year. Before that, I was unwilling to close the FlexDirect. Now it can die for a good cause, since Santander insists on switching, not just opening, a 123 current account.

Might as well grab the 123 credit card.

Asda, Morrisons and Sainsbury's all appear in both the 1% supermarket cashback list, and the 3% petrol cashback list. How does it know? Ideally, I want to get 3% cashback by buying my milk, newspaper and cigarettes from the petrol kiosk, as well as petrol.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Pincher wrote: »
    Santander insists on switching, not just opening, a 123 current account.
    That doesn't appear to be the case, according to their website?

But why close Nationwide? Switch an account held elsewhere to it for a £50 incentive* (just need 2 DDs on the donor account).

* Via the refer a friend scheme.
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 5 April 2014 at 11:06PM
    That doesn't appear to be the case, according to their website?

But why close Nationwide? Switch an account held elsewhere to it for a £50 incentive* (just need 2 DDs on the donor account).

* Via the refer a friend scheme.

I went through a Quidco cashback link, for £35, and there was a message saying that I must tick the switching option, as well as another option I can't remember right now. The £35 is now tracking, so far so good.

Refer a friend? Presumably I need to know someone who has a Santander account?

The Nationwide FlexDirect isn't my main current account. It does have a few DDs though. The 5% interest on £2,500 only lasted a year, so I was wondering what to do. In order to maximise the 5% interest, I had to keep around £3,500 in the account, so it doesn't dip below £2,500.

With the Santander 123, I can get £15k worth of 0% Balance Transfer, at 2% Fee or less, but get 3% interest. I have to pay tax on the 3%, so it roughly pays for the Fee. So, instead of circa £4,000 of my cash sitting in a FlexDirect account paying no interest, I will have £15k + £4k = £19k (below the £20k threshold) in the 123 account, where my £4,000 is generating 3%, with the other £15k cost neutral.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 April 2014 at 11:21PM
    Quidco explains the "must switch" requirement then. Thanks for that.
    Pincher wrote: »
    Refer a friend? Presumably I need to know someone who has a Santander account?
    No. You need a friend with a Nationwide account. They then recommend you to switch an account held elsewhere to an account you already hold with Nationwide (the account being switch must have at least 2 DDs). Both parties get £50.
    In order to maximise the 5% interest, I had to keep around £3,500 in the account, so it doesn't dip below £2,500.
    Really? I kept £2.5K in each of my 3 accounts and just cycled £1K in and out of each once per month on the same day.
  • Hi MSE - first post !

I haven't had a credit card for years (so I'm a bit out of touch on these things) but very recently opened a 123 current account and got a 123 credit card.

Do I understand how to use this new 18 month offer correctly ?

Use credit card as usual
    Pay minimum monthly payment (instead of usual full amount)
    Pay no interest on accumulating debt for 18 months
    Pay it all off in 17.9 months
    Return to paying it off in full every month

Thanks
  • nigelpm
    nigelpm Posts: 433 Forumite
    There's a £24 annual fee to consider
  • zerog
    zerog Posts: 2,478 Forumite
    nigelpm wrote: »
    There's a £24 annual fee to consider

which can be made back if you have the correct spending categories for cashback.
  • DesG
    DesG Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    and the first year fee is waived if you have a 123 current account and set up a dd from it to pay off the cc.
  • vns
    vns Posts: 183 Forumite
    mint123 wrote: »
    Hi MSE - first post !

I haven't had a credit card for years (so I'm a bit out of touch on these things) but very recently opened a 123 current account and got a 123 credit card.

Do I understand how to use this new 18 month offer correctly ?

Use credit card as usual
    Pay minimum monthly payment (instead of usual full amount)
    Pay no interest on accumulating debt for 18 months
    Pay it all off in 17.9 months
    Return to paying it off in full every month

Thanks

Correct.

Though you missed off the annual fee after the first 12months introductory free offer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure