PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

January 2012 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• raphanius
    raphanius Posts: 1,338 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    totally messed up my meal plan this week. was supposed to split a huge lasagne into 3 days worth but came in a bit tipsy from work last night (i work in a pub) and ate a huge portion cold with a glass of wine :o

sent OH out for chips for lunch today (have got rid of the fryer) and had to get milk again so £3.80 to declare.
    Wins: 2008: £606.10 2009: £806.24 2010: £713.47 2011: 328.32
  • bunbun2
    bunbun2 Posts: 3,540 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have just made the cheese, tomato and pesto muffins. of course I had to taste one and they are absolutely gorgeous!

I am loving this thread and it has given me so many great ideas and recipes. everyone seems so friendly and helpful too. I am looking forward to joining in in February.
    saving for ds2's summer international scout camp - £200
    £60 deposit paid :j £100 paid:j £40 paid:j
  • jollymummy
    Options
    Afternoon all
    We've just been to A!di and Home Bargains and spent £64.65, checked this in Mysupermarket and at Mr T's would have cost us £92.59 - result !!
    Anyhoo added this to the two other mini shopping trips this week and updated my total accordingly.
    I now have another £17.05 to transfer to m virtual pot for Christmas :)
    :hello:
    NSD 3/366
    4/366. 2016 Decluttering challenge
  • sonastin
    sonastin Posts: 3,210 Forumite
    Options
    spent £20.60 in A!di last night so total is up to £183.39 / £200 for the month. £16.61 to last me 11 days? I reckon it is do-able as we've got most things in stock now. Might need to top up on a few veggies next weekend for the last few days of the month but I'm hoping I can make what we've got in last. I've got a sort of meal plan in my head but the detail keeps disappearing - its a bit like when you can see a poster on a wall but its just a bit too far away to read it properly! I should really write down the meal plan and check where we're up to but I just know if I commit it to paper, OH will make me change it. At least if I keep it vague and out of his way, I can adapt without feeling too bad about veering off track!
  • sproggi
    sproggi Posts: 1,560 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    rosieben wrote: »
    you might find some inspiration on the weekly meal plan thread too, here's a list of threads to check out, crossfingers.gif that works! :D

Sorry Rosieben, link does not seem to work :(

Not updated since Monday, so:
    Tuesday spent £3.93
    Wednesday NSD
    Thursday spent £23.11 which included a 5kg bag of sugar @£3.99 that should last forever! and bottled drinks for DD1 as she is a horror for not drinking enough, she just doesn't think about it unless it is in front of her.
    I also got some chicken fillet for fajita's tonight, I used a whole chicken last time I made them, but struggled to get enough meat off of it. Never bought fillets before and at £4 (on offer) for 500gms, I know why:eek:

Collected my new glasses today and boy are they going to take some getting used to, they look fine on, but very unsettling to look through even though the prescription is only slightly different to my old one. Maybe it is because I am used to my old glasses being scratched to pieces and so bent up that I was looking through the wrong bit of the lense (according to woman in opticians) :o

While I was in town, thought I would see what Bo*ts had in their 75%off sale, was hoping to treat myself to a toiletries set of some description seeing as no-one ever gets me one (maybe they think I smell sweet enough :rotfl:), but all they had was 2 x some celeb set and 3 x times some children make-up set, so nothing spent there.
    I was very proud of myself though, right next door to Bo*ts is a bakers and the smell from there was sooooo tempting, but knowing that I would have to confess on here, I held my breath and walked straight past, got home and settled for 2 mulla* light yoghurts and a banana :D

Sproggi
    'We can get over being poor, but it takes longer to get over being ignorant'
    Jane Sequichie Hifler
    Beware of little expenses.A small leak will sink a great ship
    Benjamin Franklin
  • janiepopps
    Options
    Wish I had your self control Sproggi, I left work and thought I'd treat myself to a Belgian bun. You can't even see the bready bit cos of all the icing on it... drool... slurp...
    So that cost me 95p & £2.50 in Lid1 on bananas and 24 bags of crisps for packed lunches. Today is my weekly shop day but I'm not doing it this week. Let's see if we starve...!
    Jan '12 GC; £74.66/£100
    £2 saver club member #107
    :grin:
  • quintwins
    quintwins Posts: 5,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i also caved into buns and had an cream finger yesterday, ds3 had a lemon cupcake they w're a nice treat for us as we rarely get anything nice, the bigger kids get lovely puddings with there school dinners, and hubbys mum feeds him lunch and he regularly gets nice m7s sandwichs and buns and far too many chippys, i think it's good to give in sometimes :)
    DEC GC £463.67/£450
    EF- £110/COLOR]/£1000
  • dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi, I spent another £12 in Mr T's today on some potatoes, chicken and salad bits for lunch. They were selling packs of bacon reduced to 75p too so I bought a couple to put in the freezer for later on this month. I wish I had picked up a few more now but I had to carry the shopping back to the bus stop and I couldn't manage it!

I have a delivery booked for tomorrow which works out at about £50 so I am well on track to come in under budget this month. We have been eating out of the freezer to use up the stocks so I can defrost it. I'm ashamed to admit that we have had the freezer for three years and this will be the first time I have defrosted it lol!:rotfl:
  • Long_tall_sally
    Options
    Not a great day spending wise! Some days I manage to be good & then others, like today, I just can't be bothered & buy things that we really don't need & which of course, have put me over target. Hey ho, too tired to be bothered about it today.
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • Byatt
    Byatt Posts: 3,496 Forumite
    edited 19 January 2012 at 3:50PM
    Options
    I spent £13.12 in Mr T's...went in for whoopsies, but they never reduce them by much in my local and it doesn't always justify the petrol to go trawling around a couple of others.

Anyway, I got some organic mince, 500g, reduced to £2.59, which I will divide into portions (just me and pooch)...so will get about 6 meals of various sorts. reduced rice, reduced coriander (85p) for my carrot and coriander soup, pasta shells reduced to a £1, and dairylea triangles bogof. (would love to know who is buying all the reduced cheese in A*m!nster store, the shelves are always cleared! Also a few othe bits including half price tinned tuna (4 tins)...

£4.38 left till end of month. Should be ok. :eek::o

updated sig to show new amount £45.62/£50 at 19th jan
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family