unusual debit from bank account

Options
Hi All,

I've just checked my bank statement and have a debit from a couple of days ago that I can't figure out. I might have just forgotten that I paid for something or a payment was due to go out, but I'm not sure and the name doesn't help...

It's 'DRIVE CD' - does anyone know who that is? It might jog my memory, if not I'll have to get in touch with my bank...

Thanks!

Comments

• Flobberchops
    Flobberchops Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If you check the payment through your online banking (or in branch) you should be able to see what payment type it was (online, card, direct debit, contactless?), and the exact time and date it was authorised. You can presumably already see the value of the transaction. If it looks like normal spending, it probably is - companies or vendors often appear on your statement as a different or unfamiliar legal entity. If the amount or time of transaction seems completely out of keeping, or you really have no recollection, best to chat to your bank.
    : )
  • wallofbeans
    wallofbeans Posts: 1,400 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    It says "DEB" and the date but not the time... I assume 'DEB' is direct debit?

It's not a huge amount and it is probably something I bought, but I can't figure out what. I just want to know who exactly the payment went to and then I bet it'll come back to me....

There doesn't seem to be a way to get more detail on my account online, which is frustrating...
  • Flobberchops
    Flobberchops Posts: 1,279 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    A direct debit is often recorded as DDR or D/D, but your bank may do things differently. Is there a key or guide to abbreviations on the statement?

Yes, further information is often frustratingly difficult to get hold of, both for credits and debits. Perhaps give customer services a call.
    : )
  • wallofbeans
    Options
    A direct debit is often recorded as DDR or D/D, but your bank may do things differently. Is there a key or guide to abbreviations on the statement?

Yes, further information is often frustratingly difficult to get hold of, both for credits and debits. Perhaps give customer services a call.

So what might "DEB" be then?
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you made a contactless payment?

Do you still possess the card?

Could someone else have used your card, e.g. for an online purchase (music download etc)?
  • ceh209
    ceh209 Posts: 876 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

To me, that would mean a debit card transaction.
    Excuse any mis-spelt replies, there's probably a cat sat on the keyboard
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,861 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 June 2019 at 2:52PM
    Options
    If you say which bank it is someone may be able to help. With BOS & TSB "DEB" is a debit card transaction. TSB have the card last 4 digits after the "CD".
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are there any numbers after the 'CD' part of the description?
  • Ergates
    Ergates Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Quite probably just "debit". Do you see other transactions on your account with the same description? (The DEB I mean, not the CD DRIVE)
  • wallofbeans
    Options
    Ergates wrote: »
    Quite probably just "debit". Do you see other transactions on your account with the same description? (The DEB I mean, not the CD DRIVE)

"CD" apparently means CARD. DEB means using the debit card. I'm not quite sure why they need CD and DEB... and apparently DRIVE is the RAC. They've renewed my breakdown cover when as far as I was concerned it was cancelled. Dealing with that now.

I was looking for things I'd actually used my physical card to buy, but apparently CD doesn't have to mean that. Plus, why the RAC can't use a reference of RAC I do not know...

Thanks for all the help! Much appreciated!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure