Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tantaraza
    • By tantaraza 10th Jan 19, 11:25 PM
    • 63Posts
    • 442Thanks
    tantaraza
    Economy Energy no prepayment gas card
    • 10th Jan 19, 11:25 PM
    Economy Energy no prepayment gas card 10th Jan 19 at 11:25 PM
    Hello! Im really hoping someone with some experience of Suppliers of Last Resort can provide some advice, as I seem to be in a pickle

Im moving to a new house (renting) in early Feb. The house has prepayment meters fitted for both gas and electric the electric has a payment key, but the gas meter didnt have a payment card when I viewed. I thought that wouldnt be a problem, because I could ring the supplier on move-in day and sort a new payment card. Rang up the gas distributor today, explained I was about to move in, and wanted to know who the supplier was so I could ring them first thing when I moved in, and... its Economy Energy. Everything Ive read online says to keep plodding on until the SoLR is appointed and writes to you, but I cant plod on without a payment card to top up the gas...

So, I have two questions and Id be really grateful if anyone could steer me in the right direction:
    1) Is a SoLR likely to be appointed before I move in? If yes, will they be able to sort a payment card straightaway?
    2) If a SoLR isnt appointed before I move, what do I do??
Page 1
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 11th Jan 19, 7:15 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 487 Thanks
    wavelets
    • 11th Jan 19, 7:15 PM
    • 11th Jan 19, 7:15 PM
    Hello! I’m really hoping someone with some experience of Suppliers of Last Resort can provide some advice, as I seem to be in a pickle

I’m moving to a new house (renting) in early Feb. The house has prepayment meters fitted for both gas and electric — the electric has a payment key, but the gas meter didn’t have a payment card when I viewed. I thought that wouldn’t be a problem, because I could ring the supplier on move-in day and sort a new payment card. Rang up the gas distributor today, explained I was about to move in, and wanted to know who the supplier was so I could ring them first thing when I moved in, and... it’s Economy Energy. Everything I’ve read online says to keep plodding on until the SoLR is appointed and writes to you, but I can’t plod on without a payment card to top up the gas...

So, I have two questions and I’d be really grateful if anyone could steer me in the right direction:
    1) Is a SoLR likely to be appointed before I move in? If yes, will they be able to sort a payment card straightaway?
    2) If a SoLR isn’t appointed before I move, what do I do??
    Originally posted by tantaraza
    Check on the day you move in who the supplier is.

If it's not been changed, then you will need to contact Boost Power (part of Ovo Energy) with your meter reading(s)

https://www.boostpower.co.uk/help#contactnumbers

They'll send you new payment cards, and provide you temporary payment codes to use to top up with until the payment cards arrive
    Last edited by wavelets; 11-01-2019 at 7:18 PM.
    • tantaraza
    • By tantaraza 14th Jan 19, 12:18 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 442 Thanks
    tantaraza
    • 14th Jan 19, 12:18 AM
    • 14th Jan 19, 12:18 AM
    Thank you very much!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,061Posts Today

8,385Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • 10 ways you should act now to beat April bill shocks - council tax UP, stamp prices UP, TV licence UP, energy bills? https://t.co/WiOWiogCCA

• I have a confession to make... I think I now prefer Young Sheldon to The Big Bang Theory (or at least to the recent series). Am I alone?

• RT @TDHPhotography: Thank you @MartinSLewis After seeing your show on Council tax exemption for severe mental disorders, after a brief batt?

• Follow Martin