Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrew
      Verified User verified user
    • By MSE Andrew Verified User verified user 6th Dec 17, 4:58 PM
    • 97Posts
    • 29Thanks
    MSE Andrew
    Outfox the Market reviews: add your feedback
    • 6th Dec 17, 4:58 PM
    Outfox the Market reviews: add your feedback 6th Dec 17 at 4:58 PM
    MSE Update 17 December 2018:

Also see our news story:

Outfox the Market customers vent fury over energy bill hikes

This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Outfox the Market

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did your switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 17-12-2018 at 12:00 PM.
Page 38
    • martinlewisjunior
    • By martinlewisjunior 2nd Jan 19, 4:23 PM
    • 93 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    martinlewisjunior
    Looks they're reversing the direct debit winter increase...

https://www.choose.co.uk/news/2019/outfox-the-market-stops-variable-direct-debits/

• rhcp
    • By rhcp 4th Jan 19, 5:55 PM
    • 1,768 Posts
    • 2,526 Thanks
    rhcp
    Just looked onto my account hoping to find a final bill and the latest bill there is up to a few days after I left them, saying I owe them a small amount rather than the other way around! Think I will just leave it and hope they sort it out eventually.
    • drsquirrel
    • By drsquirrel 7th Jan 19, 11:12 AM
    • 165 Posts
    • 73 Thanks
    drsquirrel
    I did what I would expect a lot of people did and switched to OFTM and let CEC keep track of whether it would be cheaper to switch elsewhere.

However as OFTM have been wholesale switching everyone onto new versions of their tariff rather than varying the rate of the one you were on, the CEC has been comparing against a tariff I was no longer on.

Maybe it's my own fault, but I expected CEC to do the work for me. OFTM only have a couple of tariffs, there is no reason why it couldn't be done.

I complained to the CEC and they didn't seem to care. Watch out, it seems it's not the fire and forget solution I was led to believe it was.
    Originally posted by phillw

The irony, is they seem to be correct - other companies are going for the 2 level direct debit. My new provider (pending) does this.

They should have just done it retroactively, keep it simple.

Not that I want to defend them - I've paid my balance off, waited for it to go through, at £0, started the switch, sudden £110 charge... my higher "winter" cost was supposed to be £69........

I'd much prefer to just pay what I owe, a true variable direct debit, but not many companies will do that any more.
    • Consumerist
    • By Consumerist 7th Jan 19, 12:35 PM
    • 5,049 Posts
    • 2,523 Thanks
    Consumerist
    . . . other companies are going for the 2 level direct debit. My new provider (pending) does this.
    They should have just done it retroactively, keep it simple. . .
    Originally posted by drsquirrel
    I think we customers must accept that the smaller suppliers are more vulnerable to energy wholesale price changes than the bigger suppliers. The price we must pay for cheaper energy is to pay higher DDs during periods of higher demand or we will end up with the big five/six as the only options available again.

The problem with Outfox is that they introduced the measure mid-way through contracts with little warning. If they had applied the change to only new customers then those customers would have been able to choose to accept it or go elsewhere. It seems to me that the move by Outfox was born of desperation rather than hard economics.
    Last edited by Consumerist; 07-01-2019 at 12:40 PM.
    Warning: In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    • sharon.maginn
    • By sharon.maginn 7th Jan 19, 2:13 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sharon.maginn
    Most awful company I have ever dealt with. They have not actioned my closing/opening readings, hence I am being charged by both them and my current suppliers. They are difficult to contact and it's taking forever, 2 months and still not sorted despite many emails, calls and online chats. AVOID.
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 7th Jan 19, 2:59 PM
    • 888 Posts
    • 377 Thanks
    wavelets
    Most awful company I have ever dealt with. They have not actioned my closing/opening readings, hence I am being charged by both them and my current suppliers. They are difficult to contact and it's taking forever, 2 months and still not sorted despite many emails, calls and online chats. AVOID.
    Originally posted by sharon.maginn
    Your new supplier is the problem (not OFTM) - they have the responsibility for managing the switch.

Raise a complaint with your new supplier.
    • Carltonbp
    • By Carltonbp 11th Jan 19, 11:34 PM
    • 37 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Carltonbp
    Originally posted by sharon.maginn
    I think I'm having this problem. I spoke to Engie they confirmed my switch went through on the 20th and they are my supplier. However I just got an email from OFTM asking for a meter reading. Tomorrow is bill and direct debit day so fingers crossed.

If it's been 2 months, I'd check the ombudsman.
    • tawse57
    • By tawse57 18th Jan 19, 12:26 PM
    • 533 Posts
    • 605 Thanks
    tawse57
    I think I'm having this problem. I spoke to Engie they confirmed my switch went through on the 20th and they are my supplier. However I just got an email from OFTM asking for a meter reading. Tomorrow is bill and direct debit day so fingers crossed.

If it's been 2 months, I'd check the ombudsman.
    Originally posted by Carltonbp

I got the same email from OFTM.

Moved over to British Gas in December - gave my first meter readings to British Gas on the 27th December. See in my British Gas account that they estimated from the 20th December.

Have £66 of credit in my OFTM account but OFTM intend to take more money out of my account on the 21st January.

Just spoke online chat with OFTM and they told me that I could cancel the direct debit with them at my end - but reading posts here I have seen some people post that OFTM reiniates cancelled DD and adds a £25 fee on top.

I do not know what to do now - whether I should cancel the DD or not? Would welcome any thoughts.
    This is not financial nor legal nor property advice. Consult a paid professional if in doubt.
    • Pete99
    • By Pete99 18th Jan 19, 12:40 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Pete99
    I switched on the 5 Dec with credit in my Outfox account, I cancelled my Direct Debit and sent Outfox an email telling them that, they sent a confirmation email on 11 Dec and I got my final bill 3 days ago and apparently my refund is on its way.
    • Scatty
    • By Scatty 18th Jan 19, 12:45 PM
    • 130 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    Scatty
    I got the same email from OFTM.

Moved over to British Gas in December - gave my first meter readings to British Gas on the 27th December. See in my British Gas account that they estimated from the 20th December.

Have £66 of credit in my OFTM account but OFTM intend to take more money out of my account on the 21st January.

Just spoke online chat with OFTM and they told me that I could cancel the direct debit with them at my end - but reading posts here I have seen some people post that OFTM reiniates cancelled DD and adds a £25 fee on top.

I do not know what to do now - whether I should cancel the DD or not? Would welcome any thoughts.
    Originally posted by tawse57
    OTM charge in advance - you aren't their customer now so don't pay in advance. I actually asked them on chat and was advised to cancel my DD this end and they would keep it open theirs and they wouldn't charge. Needless to say I checked my account regularly and I will check my bill thoroughly WHEN I get it. Incidentally I switched to BG the same day as you! Although my details won't go live on my account until 24 Jan. They advised me on Wednesday that they have the readings and will prepare a bill/refund "in due course" within 6 weeks.........
    Woohoohoohooooooooo
    • fgen86
    • By fgen86 18th Jan 19, 1:34 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    fgen86
    Just downloaded my first bill since the January price changes. I believe they've made an error in my favour by missing out the standing charge. The bill also has duplicate entries for the energy charges although the total is correct.

If the bill is (ever) corrected I'm watching to see if they pro-rate the monthly membership fee (it's meant to be replaced with a daily standing charge from 1st January, part way through my billing period). Not holding out too much hope which is one of the reasons I'll be glad to see the back of the monthly fee - too much leeway for scraping a few extra £'s out of customers. The other reason I didn't like the membership fee was that it was based on estimated annual consumption and for me their estimates have been all over the place - generally putting me in a higher band than I should have been.

I can live with the Direct Debit changes so long as the company clearly communicates their charges - at the end of the day monthly amounts don't matter so long as the underlying charges are correct. They remain the cheapest electricity supplier in my area and I will stick with them as long as that continues. However they don't inspire confidence with the multiple changes of Direct Debit followed by this billing error. I check every bill against my own calculations and would recommend anyone else using this supplier to do the same.

I'm relatively straight-forward as I'm an electricity only customer. OTM aren't making life any easier for themselves by issuing error-strewn bills at a time when they are presumably swamped by customer enquiries related to the recent series of Direct Debit changes.
    • tawse57
    • By tawse57 18th Jan 19, 1:34 PM
    • 533 Posts
    • 605 Thanks
    tawse57
    Thank both.

I will email OFTM this afternoon and tell them of my intention to cancel my DD, ask them for my credit back, tell them that I do not expect any further charges.

Out of interest, what is the OFTM DD known as now - I recall someone posting on here that OFTM had changed their DD from OFTM to some other company name? Anyone remember the second company name?
    This is not financial nor legal nor property advice. Consult a paid professional if in doubt.
    • Dr Crypto
    • By Dr Crypto 18th Jan 19, 6:32 PM
    • 140 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    Dr Crypto
    They are an incompetent operator.

I tried to move from Economy Energy to OTM in October. They began collecting DD payments but never actioned the switch (according to EE). As a result I have been making double payments since October. OTM are very hard to get hold off and I'm getting nowhere with getting my money back. I want to stay with EE and move from them to a more stable operator. OTM seem all over the place with their billing.
    • Vortigern
    • By Vortigern 18th Jan 19, 9:54 PM
    • 2,651 Posts
    • 1,823 Thanks
    Vortigern
    Out of interest, what is the OFTM DD known as now - I recall someone posting on here that OFTM had changed their DD from OFTM to some other company name? Anyone remember the second company name?
    Foxglove Energy (and others, allegedly)
    • jaybeetoo
    • By jaybeetoo 19th Jan 19, 12:35 PM
    • 726 Posts
    • 363 Thanks
    jaybeetoo

Just cancel it. They won’t charge you the £25 if you are no longer a customer. If they reinstate it (which they won’t), cancel it. Keep checking your OTM online account for the final bill.
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 19th Jan 19, 12:40 PM
    • 888 Posts
    • 377 Thanks
    wavelets
    Just cancel it. They won’t charge you the £25 if you are no longer a customer.....
    Originally posted by jaybeetoo
    Source?

Edit: First post in over 8 days,
    Last post by tawse57 was yesterday as posted
    Yet tawse57 returned within 5 mins of the post to thank it, and left again within 7 mins of the post.
    This poster left 7 mins after that.

Just stating the facts so everyone is aware
    Last edited by wavelets; 19-01-2019 at 1:04 PM.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 19th Jan 19, 12:47 PM
    • 4,284 Posts
    • 1,183 Thanks
    Anthorn
    Just cancel it. They won’t charge you the £25 if you are no longer a customer. If they reinstate it (which they won’t), cancel it. Keep checking your OTM online account for the final bill.
    Originally posted by jaybeetoo
    I also ask for qualification: What you say flies the face of many posts stating that Outfox did in fact reinstate the direct debit after it was cancelled.

What I personally have pointed out in discussions is that the Outfox Ts&Cs say that Direct Debit is the only method of payment and if Direct Debit is not used there is a £25 administration fee.
    • Lochmaben
    • By Lochmaben 20th Jan 19, 12:37 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Lochmaben
    I left them after they decided to charge customers double in the winter even if you have monthly Direct Debits. I arranged to switch supplier, got the date the new company would take over my supply. 2 days before the day of the switch, which was Xmas Day, I read both meters and sent the readings to OTM with photographs of my meters, in the same email, I used their online link to check what I had paid since they took on my supply, what the charges including the standing charges were and from that same online link, took all the readings I had given them and included those in the email. I then did my sums, showing thesesalso in the email and since all this showed I was only £2.30 in the red on my account, I pointed this out and said if agreeable I would send a cheque. I also requested that they inform me IMMEDIATELY if they disagreed with anything in the email. Finally, I to.d them that the readings and photographs were being sent to my new supplier. As I heard nothing, Itook it for granted that they were happy with what I had said.
    Fast forward to 19 Jan and upon receiving my bank statement, I find that I have been charged for the doubled prices that start this month. Yet I was not a customer of theirs after December 24th. I am furious! I need every penny’s I live on Incaoacity Benefit and cannot even afford to have my central heating on for more than an hour or 2 every few weeks. I have warned them that unless they refund this money by Fri 25th Jan, I will take the money out of their account bybway of Direct Debit Aindemnity. Now Iam waiting to see what excuses they will come up with for not refunding me. Will tbeir excuses be as daft as Economy Energy’s?
    • TransmitThis
    • By TransmitThis 20th Jan 19, 7:14 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    TransmitThis
    My Time frame is similar to yours.
    Just got my first bill from PeoplesEnergy, so can see they took over supply on 25/Dec
    OFTM decided to take out £291.63 on the 27/Dec
    (due to their shenanigans over miscalculating my usage / price increases / winter mess up etc)

I'd be annoyed if that was money needed, as it is though it just falls under the floating money I have in the account. Which puts me in the same situation but less angry about it I guess.

It's been a 26 days and not a peep out of OFTM and no sign of a refund, however they say it could be upto 56 days - so rather than worry about it I have the luxury of just waiting it out. (sorry you can't)

I have cancelled the DD though, as another charge like that would deplete the account, being £300+ in credit, I'm sure they won't have an issue with that, but we'll see.

Maybe you can hurry them along with your email? but try not to worry about it, that will cause more distress than the lack of money does.
    • Pete99
    • By Pete99 20th Jan 19, 9:46 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Pete99
    Outfox
    There's a bit on this company in the Mail online Money section if anyone's interested.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,783Posts Today

10,474Users online

Martin's Twitter