Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Karl
    • By MSE Karl 13th May 16, 4:21 PM
    • 120Posts
    • 38Thanks
    MSE Karl
    Octopus Energy reviews: Give your feedback
    • 13th May 16, 4:21 PM
    Octopus Energy reviews: Give your feedback 13th May 16 at 4:21 PM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Octopus Energy

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did your switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by Former MSE Andrea; 14-09-2017 at 2:53 PM.
Page 13
    • Dave Lowe
    • By Dave Lowe 20th Dec 18, 1:53 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Dave Lowe
    They always take first payment early but it soon sorts itself out. I have been with them for twelve months and service has been excellent. All questions answered promptly. Unfortunately the new fixed twelve month tarriff quoted was aproximately 40% more than the old one, so have reluctantly changed supplier.
    • MarthaM
    • By MarthaM 22nd Dec 18, 11:49 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MarthaM
    Good service
    Most people, me included, comment about companies when they are unhappy but I thought Octopus deserved credit for their service.
    I switched to Octopus about 18 months ago. In the past I've switched almost yearly but this time I'm sticking with them.
    Communication and customer service have been the best of any energy company I've ever had, and the website is very smooth and user friendly, even my 84 year old mum can submit her readings online.
    I'm now on a variable rate but switching again would save me very little.
    • whyigetmorelikes
    • By whyigetmorelikes 11th Jan 19, 2:37 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    whyigetmorelikes
    Just switched to them I'll keep you updated how I get on. So far so good!
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 1st Feb 19, 2:18 PM
    • 5,464 Posts
    • 2,431 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Finally, after over 4 months, I've received a final bill from Octopus after the SOLR transfer from the defunct Iresa. It's actually slightly out because both Iresa and Octopus have charged me standing charge for 1st August - however since that appears to be Iresa rather than Octopus at fault ,I've settled up.

The only thing that I'll have to check ,is that Octopus don't try to set up a DD to take the balance which I've settled by debit card.
    Only First Utility final bill now outstanding!!
    Last edited by brewerdave; 02-02-2019 at 9:25 AM.
    • pcoventry
    • By pcoventry 7th Feb 19, 12:20 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    pcoventry
    Well to be fair - they have a weird billing system. I totally ignore the smart meter now - as I do most usage overnight my average is so low my bills are literally half what it says anyway

I'm almost waiting for them to catch up and get what they are owed - literally 1 of a kind this lot to do an average
    • Archie Jnr
    • By Archie Jnr 20th Feb 19, 10:30 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Archie Jnr
    I can't say a bad word about Octopus. I've been with them two years now and about to start another fixed tariff. For my region & usage they're close to the cheapest on the market and chosen because of their customer service. Original switch was smooth, I've emailed them on occasion to change my direct debit amount and I've asked for a credit refund and they've replied saying it was done within an hour. I've also changed tariffs this way (when cashback wasn't available). Submitting readings via their mobile site is easy and I have a bit more confidence in them than others when it comes to getting a SMETS2 meter after March.
    • john_wildman
    • By john_wildman 25th Feb 19, 4:30 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    john_wildman
    Octopus v good two months in.
    Trouble free switch from Tonik whose one year fix has gone up a lot. Octopus are one of those warm and fuzzy companies that gets up my nose but a lot of people will probably appreciate the regular informative emails. App and website easy to use as I prefer to submit meter readings and won't have a smart meter.
    • Msbanana
    • By Msbanana 1st Mar 19, 9:30 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Msbanana
    Not happy..... costing me a fortune!
    Apparently, I am the only one as I have scanned this thread but not seen anyone else particularly unhappy... but they are costing me a fortune! I was paying Iresa £39 per month and that was always sufficient! They never asked me for more than the monthly DD. Octopus is a different story though, they left me alone for months, then finally asked me for a read and then sent me an enormous bill within seconds! Their charges are working out to around £56 per month which is a pretty big leap! Obviously, I know Iresa went bust.... the irony. However, there must be cheaper options out there. Not impressed with Octopus.
    • Jaykay369
    • By Jaykay369 7th Mar 19, 11:10 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Jaykay369
    Apparently, I am the only one as I have scanned this thread but not seen anyone else particularly unhappy... but they are costing me a fortune! I was paying Iresa £39 per month and that was always sufficient! They never asked me for more than the monthly DD. Octopus is a different story though, they left me alone for months, then finally asked me for a read and then sent me an enormous bill within seconds! Their charges are working out to around £56 per month which is a pretty big leap! Obviously, I know Iresa went bust.... the irony. However, there must be cheaper options out there. Not impressed with Octopus.
    Originally posted by Msbanana
    The issue there is that you didn't provide a meter reading to them for ages so they were having to estimate your usage, which would have been based on the information you gave them when you switched. They couldn't change your direct debit amount, or even verify it was sufficient, because you hadn't given them a meter reading for so long. Then when you did they realised you were using more than you said you did when you switched, so they increased your direct debit. Any energy company would have done the same. The key to having accurate bills, and direct debits, is to regularly give meter readings so your energy supplier knows how much you are using, otherwise you are at the mercy of their usage models, which are based on customer profiling and hence will be different from your individual situation.

Also it's really important to bare in mind that energy prices have increased a lot over the past few years (mainly driven by increases in wholesale costs). So your bills probably would have gone up no matter who you switched to.
    • Jaykay369
    • By Jaykay369 7th Mar 19, 11:14 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Jaykay369
    I have recently switched back to Octopus Energy largely because of their great customer service and easy to use website (for submitting meter readings and seeing bills). They are always very quick to respond to emails and are friendly when you speak to them on the phone. When we moved into our new house we had quite a complicated request that they were able to sort out for us very easily.

Also they are one of the only companies that offers a completely renewable energy tariff - 100% of the electricity is generated from renewable sources and 100% of the carbon emissions from your gas are offset. Not to mention they are very competitively priced too.
    • sexymax
    • By sexymax 7th Mar 19, 12:21 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    sexymax
    In the process of switching to Octopus right now..any info on how often they actually send meter readers to your home ?? current suppliers once every 12 months ?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

71Posts Today

1,408Users online

Martin's Twitter