Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sterlingtimes
    • By Sterlingtimes 11th Jan 19, 4:40 PM
    • 1,620Posts
    • 3,945Thanks
    Sterlingtimes
    Economy Energy to Ovo
    • 11th Jan 19, 4:40 PM
    Economy Energy to Ovo 11th Jan 19 at 4:40 PM
    Excellent decision by OFGEM. I moved from Ovo to Economy to save a huge sum of money. Will be pleased to be back with Ovo despite likely price increase.

OFGEM states the following on Facebook:

Ofgem OVO Energy will honour all outstanding credit balances for both current and past customers of #EconomyEnergy.

Warm Home Discount customers who have already been approved by Economy Energy will continue to receive their payment from Ovo Energy.

Customers with prepayment tariffs can continue to top up their meters as they had done previously with Economy Energy. They will be contacted by Ovo Energy’s prepayment brand Boost.

Customers of Economy Energy will be contacted over the coming days about the changes.
    Last edited by Sterlingtimes; 11-01-2019 at 5:01 PM.
    Solar installed 21 November 2014 > Centre of England > 3,780 Wp > 14 *270 Watt Trina panels > 14 * Enphase micro-inverters > managed by Enlighten Envoy Hub > 19° west of south > 35° pitch > tree shading to east > iBoost > Wattson Anywhere monitoring > Ovo Smart Gateway > Schneider Electric (Drayton) MiGenie smart thermostat.
Page 1
    • Mr.Everready
    • By Mr.Everready 11th Jan 19, 5:04 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    Mr.Everready
    • 11th Jan 19, 5:04 PM
    • 11th Jan 19, 5:04 PM
    16.83p for electricity
    3.68p for gas

• Sterlingtimes
    • By Sterlingtimes 11th Jan 19, 5:16 PM
    • 1,620 Posts
    • 3,945 Thanks
    Sterlingtimes
    • 11th Jan 19, 5:16 PM
    • 11th Jan 19, 5:16 PM
    Are those our new rates?

I pay Economy 2.13 (incl. VAT) for gas, i.e. a 73% increase; and

11.72 (incl VAT) for electricity, i.e. a 43% increase.
    Solar installed 21 November 2014 > Centre of England > 3,780 Wp > 14 *270 Watt Trina panels > 14 * Enphase micro-inverters > managed by Enlighten Envoy Hub > 19° west of south > 35° pitch > tree shading to east > iBoost > Wattson Anywhere monitoring > Ovo Smart Gateway > Schneider Electric (Drayton) MiGenie smart thermostat.
    • Mr.Everready
    • By Mr.Everready 11th Jan 19, 5:19 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    Mr.Everready
    • 11th Jan 19, 5:19 PM
    • 11th Jan 19, 5:19 PM
    I done a quote on their site and on a comparison site, both the same. Your region may be different though. I can't see "us" getting it cheaper.
    • Sterlingtimes
    • By Sterlingtimes 11th Jan 19, 5:44 PM
    • 1,620 Posts
    • 3,945 Thanks
    Sterlingtimes
    • 11th Jan 19, 5:44 PM
    • 11th Jan 19, 5:44 PM
    I done a quote on their site and on a comparison site, both the same. Your region may be different though. I can't see "us" getting it cheaper.
    Originally posted by Mr.Everready
    Economy Energy saved me a lot of money but cost me a lot in my time. It was never going to last.
    • gt94sss2
    • By gt94sss2 12th Jan 19, 9:09 AM
    • 4,220 Posts
    • 1,997 Thanks
    gt94sss2
    • 12th Jan 19, 9:09 AM
    • 12th Jan 19, 9:09 AM
    Just received an email from Ovo - they are moving EE customers onto the Ovo Energy Variable tariff (Simpler Energy)

https://www.ovoenergy.com/economy-energy
    Last edited by gt94sss2; 12-01-2019 at 9:12 AM.
    • u03ekw
    • By u03ekw 31st Jan 19, 11:01 AM
    • 122 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    u03ekw
    • 31st Jan 19, 11:01 AM
    • 31st Jan 19, 11:01 AM
    I like how Ovo are much more organized that Economy Energy. But I'm still up subscribing to the best deal.

Anyone here plan to switch when they're able to? I think Ovo states that you can apply to switch once they start providing energy, and I'm just waiting for my welcome pack then plan to use MSE's Energy club to get the best deal.
    • PennyPenny
    • By PennyPenny 31st Jan 19, 12:28 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    PennyPenny
    • 31st Jan 19, 12:28 PM
    • 31st Jan 19, 12:28 PM
    I like how Ovo are much more organized that Economy Energy. But I'm still up subscribing to the best deal.

Anyone here plan to switch when they're able to? I think Ovo states that you can apply to switch once they start providing energy, and I'm just waiting for my welcome pack then plan to use MSE's Energy club to get the best deal.
    Originally posted by u03ekw
    I'm planning on switching and I got my letter today with my account number. Do you think it's too early to start switching or do you think we need to wait until all the money shenanigans have been sorted out?
    I want to be debt free, but I have a HUGE mortgage

The interest is lower than savings rates at the moment though, so I'm SAVING like mad......

If the rates change then I'll start overpaying again.
    • Sterlingtimes
    • By Sterlingtimes 31st Jan 19, 12:31 PM
    • 1,620 Posts
    • 3,945 Thanks
    Sterlingtimes
    • 31st Jan 19, 12:31 PM
    • 31st Jan 19, 12:31 PM

Originally posted by u03ekw
    My move from OVO to Economy Energy was tempting last June with an annual reduction from £1,885 to £1,378 (£477 annual saving). Now I find myself back with OVO with an annual bill estimate of £2,048 on a like for like basis (an increase of nearly 50%).

But Economy Energy stole a lot of my time in legally enforcing the tariff which was agreed and getting Economy Energy to behave in a responsible manner.

My feeling now is that vast annual savings offered by smaller suppliers are probably unsubstainable. The cheapest supplier appears to be £378 cheaper than OVO, however, if I compare on a like-for-like basis, variable tariff and payment in arrears upon the presentation of a correct bill, the cheapest supplier is only £47 per annum cheaper than OVO.

My inclination is to move to old fashioned billing where the onus is on the supplier to provide a correct bill before a payment is made. This would make the process of moving supplier so much easier. OVO always behaved responsibly in the past. I was upset by their over-night removing of their Smart Gateway service but their customer service was always 9 out of ten or better.
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 31st Jan 19, 12:41 PM
    • 1,162 Posts
    • 487 Thanks
    wavelets
    I'm planning on switching and I got my letter today with my account number. Do you think it's too early to start switching or do you think we need to wait until all the money shenanigans have been sorted out?
    Originally posted by PennyPenny
    Yes, now you have your welcome letter and account number, your supply has been fully transferred. Consult a comparison site and see if you can get a better deal elsewhere ... or even from Ovo on another tariff

Ovo had said it hoped to have all Welcome Letters issued by 02-Feb-2019 at the latest.
    • cdsheldon
    • By cdsheldon 1st Feb 19, 6:30 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    cdsheldon
    OVO preventing Economy Energy customers switching
    I have attempted to switch my supply from OVO to much cheaper Bulb Energy but I have just been told by Bulb they are prevented from doing so because I have tried to switch to another supplier recently! Even though OVO has stated former Economy Energy customers are free to switch as soon as they have their account number it appears they are blocking switches to other companies.

Has anyone else who was with Economy Energy had problems switching their supply from OVO?
    • Sterlingtimes
    • By Sterlingtimes 2nd Feb 19, 10:54 AM
    • 1,620 Posts
    • 3,945 Thanks
    Sterlingtimes
    The tariffs in the Welcome Letter, incorrectly shown by OVO in pence rather than £s (quite a serious error for a mass circulated letter), are at variance with the published tariffs for Simpler Energy (Midlands, Coventry):

Published Tariffs below include VAT and as per OVO's Tariff Information Label (TIL)

Electricity Including VAT
    Published tariff 16.51p per kWh; Welcome Letter 15.39p per kWh
    Standing charge 22.45p per day; Welcome Letter 20.38p per day

Gas Including VAT
    Published tariff 3.72 per kWh; Welcome Letter 3.54p per kWh
    Standing charge 25.82p per day; Welcome Letter 24.59p per day

OVO updated my Smart Meter indicating the published tariffs rather than the Welcome Letter tariffs.

Why is there a difference? Are ex-Economy Energy transferees getting a better deal?
    Last edited by Sterlingtimes; 03-02-2019 at 11:03 AM.
    • Sterlingtimes
    • By Sterlingtimes 5th Feb 19, 1:08 PM
    • 1,620 Posts
    • 3,945 Thanks
    Sterlingtimes
    I have had a quick response from Ovo stating that the Welcome Letter VAT inclusive rates will apply rather than the published rates for Simpler Energy. This is a little cheaper.

How pleasant it is dealing with Ovo after that dreadful experience with Economy Energy.
    • Sterlingtimes
    • By Sterlingtimes 6th Feb 19, 10:47 AM
    • 1,620 Posts
    • 3,945 Thanks
    Sterlingtimes
    OVO's notification of tariffs is all over the place. Now I have a contract letter with a different set of tariffs again.

The former email was a Welcome Letter, but this new document also purports to be a Welcome Letter.

• u03ekw
    • By u03ekw 11th Feb 19, 6:03 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    u03ekw
    Just tried switching from Ovo using moneysavingexpert's cheap energy club. I've used it before and it's always been straightforward. But this time received an 'Electricity and gas rejection' from the new supplier (Green Network Energy) with this:

Thank you for choosing Green Network Energy to be your new energy supplier.

Unfortunately, we have been unable to process your switch request, due to an issue that is beyond our control.

We’d still like to help you to become a part of the Green Network Energy family, so it’s important to understand why your original request could not go further. We suggest that you contact your current supplier and ask them to review your account.

You will need to ask them for the reason why your request to change could not be processed and to correct any errors in their records which may have caused Green Network Energy to be unable to meet your request.

Once your current supplier has advised you that the issue has been resolved, if you’d still like GNE to be your new supplier, please get in touch with our Registration Team to re-process your switch onto the tariff and terms previously agreed.

We hope this has been helpful and apologise once again that we have not been able to complete your switch.

Anyone else with a similar experience?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,213Posts Today

7,829Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • 10 ways you should act now to beat April bill shocks - council tax UP, stamp prices UP, TV licence UP, energy bills? https://t.co/WiOWiogCCA

• I have a confession to make... I think I now prefer Young Sheldon to The Big Bang Theory (or at least to the recent series). Am I alone?

• RT @TDHPhotography: Thank you @MartinSLewis After seeing your show on Council tax exemption for severe mental disorders, after a brief batt?

• Follow Martin