Switching recommendations

2»

Comments

• Thank you

I have checked the unit energy costs as stated on my bill and also by Energy Club and they are the same and the consumption figures I originally submitted and accurate.

However, perhaps you mean that in assessing any new deal I should forget about the total cost I am allegedly paying figure and simply compare the unit costs of my current tariff and of what I am being offered? I guess that would work
  • Thank you for this but I'm not sure what you are saying.
    My difficulty is that the calculator as wielded by my energy supplier.and as wielded by Energy Club, using identical unit costs, do indeed come up with different results.

How come indeed, as in your apple example
  • wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thank you

I have checked the unit energy costs as stated on my bill and also by Energy Club and they are the same and the consumption figures I originally submitted and accurate.

However, perhaps you mean that in assessing any new deal I should forget about the total cost I am allegedly paying figure and simply compare the unit costs of my current tariff and of what I am being offered? I guess that would work

No, you should be guided by the comparison site. It does the calculation for you and usually lists the deals for you in incresaing cost, starting with the lowest cost.

You can get more information here:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/you-switch-gas-electricity/
  • wavelets
    wavelets Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Thank you for this but I'm not sure what you are saying.
    My difficulty is that the calculator as wielded by my energy supplier.and as wielded by Energy Club, using identical unit costs, do indeed come up with different results.

How come indeed, as in your apple example

Please give full details, (inputs and outputs from each source) and someone can then take a look for you.

Otherwise we will just be guessing.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    JuneS wrote: »
    No, please see the link which specifies the default method the CEC calculates savings.

The answer to that is 42.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    wavelets wrote: »
    No, you should be guided by the comparison site. It does the calculation for you and usually lists the deals for you in incresaing cost, starting with the lowest cost.

You can get more information here:
    https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/you-switch-gas-electricity/

The problem with comparison sites is the OFGEM recommended method I highlighted in an earlier post, i.e. calculating fixed tariffs as if when the fix expires the customer is automatically transferred to the default tariff. i.e. 8 months at the fixed prices and 4 months at the default tariff. That method will result in a higher annual cost for the current tariff and makes alternative tariffs which calculate the fixed prices only over 12 months look like they are saving more that they actually are saving. In short, comparing new fixed tariffs with the OFGEM recommended method of calculating the existing tariff provides a false result.

Personally, I look at comparison sites as pointing me in the right direction but not as a substitute for my own calculations.
  • Thank you to everyone for the helpful answers and the time you have all taken to give them.

I'm now going to ponder your wisdom a while
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport