Rental : LPG Tank, advice please

Good Afternoon

Looking at renting a rural property, no mains gas.

Enquired as to whether the CH system was oil or LPG, was oil but converted to LPG a year ago.

We live nearby, again, no gas - electric only, no open fire / woodburner etc and want to move as the panelled electric rads are useless, barn conversion, high ceilings, 13 year old heaters and the house gets to 3.6 deg by winter.

Basically on the cheapest tariff last year cost me £2000.00 and that included using free standing calor gas heater in the lounge just to be semi comfortable.

This property has an open fire, fully working (I am aware they 'waste' more heat than a woodburner but something is better than nothing) and all rooms have large radiators in them.

Not being familiar with LPG heating, can anyone advise typical residential tank size please? I cannot seem to get an answer off Google.

I did a price check on Calor website (we use flogas for our small portable heater) and they reckon a three bed semi in that postcode would typically cost £57.51pcm on the basis of a LPG cost of 38.9p

Lifted from the quote :

Estimated gas cost of £690.09 for the first year (£57.51 per month) based on our customers average annual usage of 1774 litres (12,619 KW equiv) for a 3-bedroom semi-detached home, at 38.9 pence per litre.

Now, to me that sounds dare I say it, cheap?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this / advice please?
IS that accurate ish?

Many Thanks
:beer:

Comments

• Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    We live in a 1911 rural 4 bed semi with insulated cavity walls and about 150mm loft insulation.

Our annual LPG consumption is about 3000l at 30ppl (local independent supplier), so about £900. We have a standard 1200l tank that gets filled about three times a year.
  • **G*O*S*H**
    **G*O*S*H** Posts: 19 Forumite
    Mister_G wrote: »
    We live in a 1911 rural 4 bed semi with insulated cavity walls and about 150mm loft insulation.

Our annual LPG consumption is about 3000l at 30ppl (local independent supplier), so about £900. We have a standard 1200l tank that gets filled about three times a year.

Thank you for your reply, I did think that was a very conservative estimate. However, having been subjected to such a cold house we even find 'normal houses' too hot now so I am thinking we may end up somewhere around £1600 a year or so (with elec on top)

Do you avoid all the usual suspects - calor / flogas and avantigas etc and find the independent ones cheaper?

Do you have open fires / wood burning stoves etc?

Thanks
  • Mister_G
    We used to be with Calor, but when their prices got to 50ppl, and the rules changed, we shopped around. We are lucky to have a local independent nearby, but it may be worth asking the big guys for a quote.

You will see from several posts on here about how they lock you into a 2 year contract and hike the price up in the second year. We do not have a contract and do not pay any monthly charges - unusual I know.

We have an 8kW wood burner in the living room, which only tends to get lit in very cold weather. I have a good source of free timber, so that helps!
  • **G*O*S*H**
    We used to be with Calor, but when their prices got to 50ppl, and the rules changed, we shopped around. We are lucky to have a local independent nearby, but it may be worth asking the big guys for a quote.

You will see from several posts on here about how they lock you into a 2 year contract and hike the price up in the second year. We do not have a contract and do not pay any monthly charges - unusual I know.

We have an 8kW wood burner in the living room, which only tends to get lit in very cold weather. I have a good source of free timber, so that helps!

8kw, that's a beast of a wood burner! :rotfl:
    We can get free wood too so that is certainly an added bonus on that front.

I did wonder if they 'dangled the carrot' on the first year and then hike you up the second so it averages out as generally expensive, will certainly take your advice on the independent ones.

We are very rural here with no gas for miles so I am sure having a few chats with neighbours and local farm owners they will come up with a good value supplier.

Thank you for your helpful advice, put my mind at ease somewhat, never encountered LPG in the home before, plus I guess it is impossible to steal compared to having your oil tank drained! :beer:
  • **G*O*S*H**

Just noticed you are in Winchester so just down the road, handy ;)
  • Mister_G
    edited 13 July 2018 at 5:30PM
    My LPG supplier is HBS at Chilbolton. We have a buying club in the village (10 customers) so have managed to get the price down.

We've had LPG for 37 years now and have found it to be very easy and clean. Oh, and still on the same boiler!

As you say, unlikely to be nicked as well!
  • um5000
    um5000 Posts: 32 Forumite
    We're about 3500l per annum at 30.5p+vat in an 1850's 3 bed granite bungalow in the north of scotland (read very cold indeed!).

You can look up local suppliers using https://www.uklpg.org, and then call around but this doesn't always provide the best prices.

2 years ago we used http://www.lpg-save.co.uk who call round for you to get the best offer, then report back to you with quotes and offer to fill out applications for you etc if you're happy. No obligation and no fees. Managed to bag us a pretty good deal (at the time) and hopefully will again this time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure