PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Made an offer, still waiting 3 weeks later.

2»

Comments

• westernpromise
    westernpromise Posts: 4,833 Forumite
    If the vendors have lived in the house for 40 years there are two huge red flags. One is that they may be timewasters who won't even look for a place to move to until they've got a bid on their own place, which introduces months of delay. The second is that their place will almost certainly need every room gutting once you look at it all closely. All old biddies are convinced that they got their houses perfect 30 years ago and they haven't done a thing to them since.

These people couldn't give a monkey's about your timetable. They're ignoring you, so ignore them and go for the other one you saw.
  • ThePants999
    ThePants999 Posts: 1,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I'd be forgetting about this property already - an owner who takes 3+ weeks to respond to an offer isn't serious about selling. Even if they do accept, you're going to find the rest of the transaction moves at an equally glacial pace.
  • KingMob
    KingMob Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Argh, spoke to Estate Agent and not happy. Seems I haven't been told the whole truth and it'll be at least a week if not more before a decision is made.

I asked about the situation during initial viewing, was told that vendors wanted to move in with relatives who lives nearby. When previously inquired about status was told the delay was caused by interest shown in the property and then vendors being on holiday. Now being told that the vendors aren't moving in with relatives but instead moving into relative's current apartment while they moves elsewhere. Their relatives doesn't have anywhere lined up which is the cause of the delay. Somehow this may (or may not) be resolved in the next week or two. Got impression that vendors would be happy to stay as is if their relatives doesn't find anywhere.
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    None of this would stop them accepting an offer if they wanted to. You're still not being told the full story.
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    It sounds like they are mucking you about. As others have said, *rseing around at this stage is predictive of *rseing around later, if your offer is accepted.

I'd tell the EA that your offer is still on the table - for now - but that you are actively pursuing other options.
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • KingMob
    Was told they don't want to accept the offer as they don't want to give me "false hope". Being upfront and honest would have been nice.

The owner of the second property I'm interested in (different EA) was going to make a decision yesterday but since it was a bank holiday wouldn't find out until today. 90 minutes to go but I'm not holding out for much.

Very few houses here are listed on rightmove, instead a local variant is used which isn't very informative. Have spoken to as many EAs as I can but is literally dozens each with a small number of properties.
  • diggingdude
    diggingdude Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    They are taking liberties. leave the offer on the table but find something else. Even try and view other properties with that EA as a wake up call
    An answer isn't spam just because you don't like it......
  • SG27
    SG27 Posts: 2,773 Forumite
    Why have they got their house in the market if they aren't ready to sell? Forget it find somewhere else.
  • KingMob
    Just an update in case anyone cares.

Another week has passed and still no decision. EA gives a different story everytime contacted. Some family member is on holiday and no-one knows when they are due back.

After almost 4 weeks, someone else has offered 1.5k more than my original offer. EA throwing hands up and claiming issue is due to vendors being an elderly couple but still organising viewings apparently.

I've given up on this property and pursuing alternatives. Vendor is losing out as I've have been happy to offer a significant amount more but not going to happen now.

As a FTB and I'd admit naive, I've been shocked at how the EA has handled this.
  • Bass_9
    Bass_9 Posts: 151 Forumite
    I think you're doing the right thing as disappointing as this is. However, onwards and upwards... You never know a better house may come up, it's funny how things can work out like that. Good luck for future house hunting. :)

Re. The quality of estate agents, totally agree. There are a couple of houses we recently wanted to view, rang to request a viewing and never heard back from them... despite being FTB's with finance in place and effectively ready to go. Now these houses have been reduced! I guess the vendors aren't aware they're incompetent, I would be fuming if I were them. :eek: If anyone wonders why we didn't ring again, other houses came on the market and we made those ones a priority instead, can't be bothered to chase the bloody EA's for a viewing.

If we ever sell a house i know which ones to avoid like the plague, it's been good homework. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure