help please with Universal Wealth preservation Trust

Comments

• racey
    racey Posts: 165 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 23 March 2017 at 11:16AM
    The above would carry more weight, I feel, if it had a name attached to it rather than Official Company Representative.
    The director, Mr. Long,for example.
  • ChesterDog
    ChesterDog Posts: 1,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    And I will ask again...

While the particular circumstances leading to the "unplanned, unforseen and unprecedented absence of a Trustee for an extended period" might have come as a surprise, the fact that such an event might arise is patently obvious to anyone.

Why was this possibility not allowed for with a contingency plan, and why should somebody put their faith (and money) in a company that did not forsee such an obvious possibilty?
    I am one of the Dogs of the Index.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,931 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I haven't seen our friend Right of Reply for a while. Perhaps now that UniversalWealthP has an official account, he's decided to put his feet up, relaxed in the knowledge that the company doesn't need a completely unrelated third party to speak up for them anymore.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    This is an official response from a representative of Universal Wealth Preservation (UWP) in relation to this thread and the various comments made.

No business is perfect, and we recognise that in recent weeks our service has fallen below that which we expect or that our clients deserve in a handful of cases. This has been caused by the unplanned, unforeseen and unprecedented absence of a Trustee for an extended period. This unfortunate situation was entirely beyond the control of the company or the Trustee.

Just for the sake of clarity, and completeness, could you elaborate on the following, please:

1 What period does 'in recent weeks' cover, approximately?
    2 Was the trustee in question Steven Long?
    3 Was the trustee outside the UK?
    4 What were the approximate dates of the 'extended period' of absence referred to?

I think we're all more than happy to take an open minded approach to the comments made in this thread (including those that have been removed), and I'm sure you'll agree that the above request for a little more information is not unreasonable.
  • I have had the misfortune to be chasing Universal Group for the last THREE AND A HALF YEARS since my aunt died, and they have used every excuse on the planet as to why they are still holding on to her flat and savings. Steven Long did a hard sell on a vulnerable elderly lady and it's taken me so much anguish and hundreds of hours chasing them up to resolve her very simple estate. She would be horrified to know that this is still going on after all this time.

Stay clear of Steven & Melanie Long with the name Universal attached (U. Trust Fund/ U. Asset Management/ U. Wealth Protection ...... the list of the Universal names is endless)
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,043 Forumite
    I have had the misfortune to be chasing Universal Group for the last THREE AND A HALF YEARS since my aunt died, and they have used every excuse on the planet as to why they are still holding on to her flat and savings.

We would like to publicly express the sincere apologies that we have made to each of those clients individually and in private for any distress caused by the brief but regrettable delays in completing their transactions.
    Perhaps not so brief then?
    This unexpected situation has highlighted a weakness in our processes that we are now working to remedy so that this isolated incident cannot be repeated. New systems and procedures are being introduced to prevent this.
    Perhaps not an isolated incident then?
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • ewaste
    ewaste Posts: 279 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Though the following might be of some interest to any who follow this thread.

bbc.co.uk/news/business-39589083
  • racey
    racey Posts: 165 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    ewaste wrote: »

Interesting.
    I'm sure that the “Official Company Representative" who posted above will be along soon to give Universal Wealth's side of the story.
  • Doc_N
    ewaste wrote: »

Thanks - very interesting. I particularly liked this bit:

Surprisingly, while care fee protection is prominent on Universal's marketing fliers, the company told the BBC: "We deny that we offer strategies to avoid paying care fees."

We wanted to explore what lies behind this apparent contradiction, but Universal did not take up the BBC's offer of an interview.

Those of us who've attended one of their seminars might have a different view of that statement in bold!

I wonder if Universal lawyers will 'require' the BBC to remove the article? :rotfl:
  • Doc_N
    And just as a brief follow-up to that, 12.04 today, BBC Radio 4 (repeated tomorrow 21.00):

Money Box - The Care Fee Trap

If you need long term care when you get old, you can expect it to cost over £30,000 a year; every year, until you die.

Money Box investigates the companies that offer a solution: put your assets into a trust and you can protect your home and savings from care fees.

But can these companies really beat the system?

Presenter Michael Robinson discovers why these schemes may not work and asks if the sale of care fee protection strategies is another symptom of a crisis in funding for social care.

To find out, he speaks to Andrew Dilnot, who recommended the Government cap care fee liability six years ago. Is Dilnot right that all of this would come to an end if his reforms were introduced? And is he right to call the means test for care fees, the most pernicious in the whole welfare state?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08m8q7z

I'm sure the Universal lawyer will be listening avidly! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure