something between DMP and DRO?

pliusas
pliusas Posts: 78 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Asked payplan about DMP, but if I have no extra hours, I have only left £15 after expenses and they told me impossible to do DMP, because minimum amount should be £100. I can do sometimes extra £85, but not every single month :( So they offered go to DRO, but now I scare I will have more than £50 sometimes!!! :eek: :mad:

I mean, if I have left £55-65 each month I am too rich for dro, but too poor for dmp? I am so confused about 4 weekly/monthly payments, not sure how to spread them correctly. And can I increase expenditure during DRO year or I have to agree before i Pay £90?

Comments

• pliusas
    or just sometimes is OK to spend more on food (for example £35 for weekly shopping instead of agreed £25) and do not tell for anybody?
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi pliusas

If you get paid 4 weekly it can make things a bit more confusing. For the purposes of working out what debt option you qualify for it's best to complete a statement of affairs (SOA) on a calendar monthly basis. Convert your 4 weekly figures by multiplying by 13 (to give a yearly amount) and then divide by 12 (to get a calendar monthly figure).

Do you have to work extra hours at work? If you want the fresh start a DRO can give you by getting your debts written off, you might consider not working the extra hours until the DRO has finished. If your monthly surplus does rise over £50 the DRO could fail.

It is also possible that when you earn more, you may spend more on certain outgoings. Changes to your circumstances should be declared. It's best to contact one of the free debt advice agencies to talk this through in more detail.

Best wishes

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • pliusas
    Susie,

how about savings during DRO? For example I told I need around £100/year for my glasses, so around £8 per month. Should I withdraw this amount from bank and keep in some envelope "for glasses"? I told I need to put £20 "for rainy day envelope" and Payplan agreed it is reasonable, so after 3 months will be £60. Does it mean I cant keep it in my bank, because it will be over £50? :( Or they look at monthly income+bills, and if £10 left from Month1, they do not count these money in Month2?
    I think I get pay every 5 weeks, so I am a bit comfused.
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,492 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    You're allowed to have £1000 in 'assets', going into a DRO.

Once you're in the allowances are more generous.

So no problems with small savings.

If your intermediary says you qualify, then run with that. You do need to sort out how often you are paid though. Five weeks would be unusual. Four weeks or calendar month are the most usual
  • pliusas
    Good to know my £100 savings will be allowed as assets :)

payment dates are strange, like 4,5 weeks but because only 2-3 days difference from month, so lets say its monthly.

Anyway, I just get an email with reduced work fees ( I am self emp), seems wont be any surplus money at all.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 10 August 2018 at 3:58PM
    pliusas,

No one checks up on you once your DRO is approved.

You will not normally have any more contact with either the intermediary or the insolvency service.

It is up to you to tell them about any changes in circumstances, a few quid here and there extra can be absorbed into your budget, or saved as assets, spent on food etc for example, its only permanent major changes you would have to inform them of, remember you can have assets worth £1000.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure