Online Banking: is onus on user to ensure OS or software is up to date ?

Comments

• Some do.

Nationwide:

2. Internet Banking Service

2.1 You can access our Internet Banking service provided the equipment you use meets our minimum compatibility requirements (full details are available at https://www.nationwide.co.uk/internet_banking). You must ensure your equipment continues to meet these requirements, that it remains fully operational and that you take all reasonable measures to keep it virus free.

HSBC:

3. Your security details
    3.1 You must take all reasonable precautions to keep safe and prevent fraudulent use of your OB security details (this will include your username, PINs, passwords and other security information).
    3.2 These precautions include, but are not limited to all of the following:

• keep your personal computer secure by using anti-virus and anti-spyware software and a personal firewall;

Barclays:

Make sure any device you use to access Online Banking complies with the standards and requirements we tell you about from time to time
    • Carry out your own regular virus checks and security updates using antivirus software – we recommend you download the free software we offer our customers

Etc.

Google will help
  • Eco_Miser
    Eco_Miser Posts: 4,708
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    None of which requires the latest OS version.
    Eco Miser
    Saving money for well over half a century
  • demonted
    demonted Posts: 190
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    !!! wrote: »
    Some do.

Nationwide:

2. Internet Banking Service

2.1 You can access our Internet Banking service provided the equipment you use meets our minimum compatibility requirements (full details are available at https://www.nationwide.co.uk/internet_banking). You must ensure your equipment continues to meet these requirements, that it remains fully operational and that you take all reasonable measures to keep it virus free.

HSBC:

3. Your security details
    3.1 You must take all reasonable precautions to keep safe and prevent fraudulent use of your OB security details (this will include your username, PINs, passwords and other security information).
    3.2 These precautions include, but are not limited to all of the following:

• keep your personal computer secure by using anti-virus and anti-spyware software and a personal firewall;

Barclays:

Make sure any device you use to access Online Banking complies with the standards and requirements we tell you about from time to time
    • Carry out your own regular virus checks and security updates using antivirus software – we recommend you download the free software we offer our customers

Etc.

Google will help

Although Barclays makes reference to security updates; there's still nothing that specifically states that an Online Banking user must ensure that the latest OS is installed on the device used to access the Online Bank Service.

Nor is there an indication as to whether a user is!liable for fraudulent losses or theft!should their Bank Account be hacked whilst accessing the Online Banking Services via an outdated OS or software installed on the users device.

All examples provided. appear to make reference to either viruses or spyware and to ensure antivirus and anti-spyware software is up to date and updated regularly.

In regard to Nationwide, although it's stated that!equipment used must meet their minimum compatibility requirements and a web address is provided to view such requirements (https://www.nationwide.co.uk/internet_banking) it actually reveals nothing, although, yet again, Nationwide makes reference to ensuring that equipment used is virus free rather than stating an Online Bank user must access Online Banking via the latest OS.

In fact, the Nationwide Online Banking T&Cs are more or less identical to that of my own bank.

I guess your Google search wasn't so helpful after all.
  • You're basically asking if the bank should accept responsibility for your device/software not being up to date, and susceptible to security risks?

If the bank provides you software to use, and your account is broken in to, due to a bug in that software, then the bank would accept responsibility.
    If your account is compromised due to a lax approach to updating your own device, that's your responsibility. You don't need a T&C to state that, and you'd be welcome to challenge it in court and see how far it gets you.

I can't think of a single company that would accept responsibility for you not doing something, when it is provided.
  • Eco_Miser wrote: »
    None of which requires the latest OS version.

Actually yes - if the requirements for Online Banking are, for example, Windows 8/8/10 or newer and Internet Explorer version 11, Edge, Firefox version XX, Chrome version XX etc.

Then this would constitute having an up to date OS to run said things
  • demonted wrote: »
    Although Barclays makes reference to security updates; there's still nothing that specifically states that an Online Banking user must ensure that the latest OS is installed on the device used to access the Online Bank Service.

A Security Update is an update that is in Windows, delivered by Windows Update.

Thus updating your OS
  • demonted
    Forumite
    You're basically asking if the bank should accept responsibility for your device/software not being up to date, and susceptible to security risks?

If the bank provides you software to use, and your account is broken in to, due to a bug in that software, then the bank would accept responsibility.
    If your account is compromised due to a lax approach to updating your own device, that's your responsibility. You don't need a T&C to state that, and you'd be welcome to challenge it in court and see how far it gets you.

I can't think of a single company that would accept responsibility for you not doing something, when it is provided.

I'm not asking if it's the Banks responsibility to ensure my device is up to date.

I'm wondering as to whether the Online Bank or a similar type service can refuse to reimburse a victim of theft or fraudulent transactions as a result of a hacked account, should it be discovered that the account holder/victim accessed their Online Account via a device running an outdated OS.!

Although, you " can't think of a single company that would accept responsibility for the user not doing something, when it is provided" !this does appear to be your opinion rather than a specific clause within the Online Bank T&Cs.

At present I've not been a victim of theft or fraud, nor, as far as I'm aware, has my Online Bank been compromised, however, since the Meltdown and Spectra chip security flaws, I began to wonder; as my mobile phone, uses most often to access my Online Bank, has never been updated since I got it and my computer still running Windows XP.

I'm not looking to argue with forum members in regard to this issue and I certainly didn't realise it would be such a complex and contentious issue, however, currently, I guess until the Online Banking Authority read this thread and based upon what I've read so far, there does not appear to be a specific clause or requirement within the Online Banks T&Cs that a user of such a service must ensure that the device used to access the Online Banking Service, especially via a web browser, must be running the latest OS for their device.
  • demonted
    Forumite
    edited 10 January 2018 at 9:50AM
    A Security Update is an update that is in Windows, delivered by Windows Update.

Thus updating your OS

So only users of MS Window devices must ensure an updated OS is installed ?

What is the requirement of users of Apple or Android devices and users who prefer to use a Linux-based system ?

I would assume a clause or term within T&Cs, especially if used to defend a refusal to reimburse a victim cannot be implied or relied upon a readers interpretation of any such clause.
  • demonted
    Forumite
    edited 10 January 2018 at 9:58AM
    Actually yes - if the requirements for Online Banking are, for example, Windows 8/8/10 or newer and Internet Explorer version 11, Edge, Firefox version XX, Chrome version XX etc.

Then this would constitute having an up to date OS to run said things

Can you link to the Online Bank which actually states this within their Online Banking T&Cs ?

Although your examples appears not to consider users of smartphones and in my opinion, nowadays most users tend to access Inline Banking via a smartphone.

I'm aware a smartphone app probably won't run on a phone with an outdated OS but the very same smartphone can still access Online Banking via its web browser.
  • The T's and C's tell you to meet their requirements.

They then have a requirements page that lists compatible browsers, versions etc on.

It's not difficult to fathom out
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport