IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Defence mitigating circumstances

Comments

• Great will check and amend thankyou
  • Ralph-y
    Ralph-y Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    good luck ....

Ralph:cool:
  • Thankyou have edited the above.
  • Thankyou going to need it!
  • Please can I ask for assistance? I am about to send my ws, before I do - I have just read that the skeleton argument can be provided anytime up to the hearing date (advised 3 days before hearing) is this still correct? Or do I send with ws? I have been reading through skeleton templates and it seems I have covered all points in my defence/ witness statements - just want to check repetition is ok or avoid skeleton argument?
  • I have just read that the skeleton argument can be provided anytime up to the hearing date (advised 3 days before hearing) is this still correct?
    Yes but need to send to both Claimant and court.
    Or do I send with ws?
    I would send separately.
    I have been reading through skeleton templates and it seems I have covered all points in my defence/ witness statements - just want to check repetition is ok or avoid skeleton argument?
    It is not mandatory. I produced one in my case mainly to summarise what I would say on the day but written down. Also enabled me to rip apart their WS. Duplication is allowed.
    How confident are you presenting your case without it?
  • Unfortunately I'm not confident at all, just think I've read too much and overloaded without digesting it all so keep reading and going round in a vicious circle! I will crack on with my skeleton and post for confirmation that it's ok, glad that's the answer as gives more preparation time!
    On the day do I need o ask for right of audience?
  • Lamilad
    Lamilad Posts: 1,412 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Your skeleton can be produced in the day but, as above, it is advised you send it a few days in advance... You want the judge to have read it before you go in.

You can just give the claimant a copy on the day but it's my preference to serve them a copy when you file it with the court... Shows you're being 'reasonable'

Your SA should not be a repeat of what's already been said in your defence and WS unless you are elaborating these points and turning them into legal argument or referring to evidence.

If you've already made your legal arguments in your WS (as many do in small claims) then you don't need an SA, you can just write a list of notes summarising your case which you'll use as a 'prompt sheet' at the hearing
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,398 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    On the day do I need to ask for right of audience?
    What do you mean? Are you a lay rep for the defendant, accompanying them?

...or do you mean, do you need to challenge the RoA of the other side's hired gun? (yes!).
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • No I am the defendant and won't have a lay rep, I read that sometimes asking this can upset the judge?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure