How should I set up new Android phone?

Kernel_Sanders
Kernel_Sanders Posts: 3,617 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 3 February 2018 at 6:48PM in Techie Stuff
I'm collecting a new phone today which is on Nougat. My last phone was Gingerbread, so was wondering how I should set it up. It's got a 16GB HDD but I'll be adding an SD card. I want a browser that saves me data, so is Opera Mini still the way to go? I'll need an accurate, real-time meter for data consumption. I didn't have anti-virus on Gingerbread, but I expect I'll need it now. Also, what apps are available in case of theft?
I'm not expecting to have to fork out for software, BTW :)

Comments

• dipsomaniac
    dipsomaniac Posts: 6,739 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    i would use the same browser you use on pc/laptop for syncing bookmarks, history etc. best imo is chrome

the built in data consumption monitor should be acurate so you shouldn't need any 3rd party apps

you don't need a antivirus for android

the security features built in to your google account is designed to protect data/lock down phone in the event of theft
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
  • the security features built in to your google account is designed to protect data/lock down phone in the event of theft
    I was thinking along the lines of the iPhone app, which will send any pics taken to an email a/d and will track it using triangulation of the transmitting masts. Is your Google account just another name for your Gmail a/d?
  • dipsomaniac
    I was thinking along the lines of the iPhone app, which will send any pics taken to an email a/d and will track it using triangulation of the transmitting masts. Is your Google account just another name for your Gmail a/d?

no, goto google account > find my phone for security options
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
  • dipsomaniac
    your main google account is the account linked to your phone and stores all of your calendar data, contacts, photos, gmail etc
  • Kernel_Sanders
    edited 3 February 2018 at 9:47PM
    no, goto google account > find my phone for security options
    Can't find that but I'm now more concerned about this as I've never had a Galaxy Note. I've also never used Google Drive, so why would it have access to my data?
    file.html
  • dipsomaniac
    not sure. has any family member had a note? there is a option within the account to click if you spot anything suspicious. i am sure its nothing to worry about but may be worth changing your password.

the find my phone settings is within the security section
  • SnowTiger
    SnowTiger Posts: 4,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Can't find that but I'm now more concerned about this as I've never had a Galaxy Note

Have you used Bluestacks' Android emulator?

Android Central:
    Well Bluestacks has to show as some type of device if you connect to google play to download apps of course or you wouldn't be able to download apps to it.

[...]

Hello...I've used different versions of BlueStacks and with the last 3rd that I've used it has been 3 different Samsung Galaxy smartphones. For example, I've seen BlueStacks as Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy S5 & Galaxy Note 3.
  • Kernel_Sanders
    edited 4 February 2018 at 2:25PM
    My phone says 'Android security patch level 5 Sept 2017', so I connected to wi-fi and went to System update but after checking, it just said 'no updates' (under EMUI 5.0.1).How do I get the security updates?
    SnowTiger wrote: »
    Not on this device.
    I did put it on my laptop, but never downloaded anything with it. I wanted to run Opera Mini on it (for the data savings), but Bluestacks only offers games. That was nearly a week before the last reported syncing with a Note (7.56pm on 27 Jan).
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Can't find that but I'm now more concerned about this as I've never had a Galaxy Note. I've also never used Google Drive, so why would it have access to my data?
    file.html
    Drive Notepad is not Google Drive. It is a 3rd party app that you have allowed access to your Google account. If you don't want to give it access then revoke its access.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Part of your Google account is your GMail. It also contains your Google Calendar, Google Contacts, Google Drive data storage, your access to the Google Play app store etc. It is your access to all of Google's services. The built in Find My Phone feature will allow you to locate your phone and remotely disable it if it is stolen.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure