Charged fees for something ebay perceives as being sold off ebay

Options

Comments

• bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Options
    RFW wrote: »
    I don't actually think Ebay are bothered about the money they're more interested in getting rid of buyers/sellers who want to deal off Ebay. .

In my experience its almost always buyers who want to initiate off Ebay purchases - I'm sure we've all had 'will you take xx by paypal, as your fees are 10%?' type offers.

Actually my fees are less than 2.5% (averaging 2.2%) and am TRS seller, but that does'nt stop offers to buy 'direct' (code for paying via Paypal outside Ebay), or for cash offers etc etc. They all used to gets binned and I stopped allowing buyers to send questions about 3 months ago.

I haven't used Amazon for 2 years as they can't get close to the Ebay fees rate, but when I did, I used to get them offers there too, but not as frequenty, and I think Amazon makes it harded for buyers to even send this sort of message as you'd get contact info redacted in the message if it made it through.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    bxboards wrote: »

I haven't used Amazon for 2 years as they can't get close to the Ebay fees rate, but when I did, I used to get them offers there too, but not as frequenty, and I think Amazon makes it harded for buyers to even send this sort of message as you'd get contact info redacted in the message if it made it through.
    My Ebay/Paypal and Amazon fees are fairly comparable, I suppose it depends on categories.
    I generally sell high volume/low price so there's not much scope for reductions. Having returned to sell similar stuff on Ebay I've had way more requests in a few months than a few years on Amazon. It is seller led but there must be plenty of buyers saying yes so they keep coming.
  • bxboards
    Options
    RFW wrote: »
    My Ebay/Paypal and Amazon fees are fairly comparable, I suppose it depends on categories.
    I generally sell high volume/low price so there's not much scope for reductions.

Completely opposite for me, low volume, high (very!) value - the Ebay fee caps really help there, as you say it depends on the category.

But I certainly got those invitations to go off-venue - I remember reporting a message to Amazon from a buyer who wanted to pay by Paypal! The rep (overseas, poor grasp of English) kept telling me it was OK, until I had to remind the Amazon rep. that transactions could only go via Amazon checkout!
  • Brooker_Dave
    Options
    Lisbon wrote: »
    If you sign up to a site or service you are (generally) bound by the T&Cs.

But if the T&Cs are hopelessly one sided and predatory?
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
  • Pun
    Pun Posts: 740 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options

If you thought that, why would you sign up?
  • Brooker_Dave
    Options
    Pun wrote: »
    If you thought that, why would you sign up?

But people don't sign up, the T&Cs are hidden behind a tick box, and change on a whim, so even if they aren't unfair to begin with, over time they end up being so.
    "Love you Dave Brooker! x"

"i sent a letter headded sales of god act 1979"
  • Gary123456790
    Options
    Just received an email from ebay which states

When we believe a transaction has been completed outside of eBay, we’ll take the following actions:
    ✓ On the first offence, we’ll send a warning.
    ✓ Repeat violations may result in a temporary selling restriction of up to 7 days.
    ✓ We may charge offenders for lost fees and apply an indefinite restriction to serial offenders.

Is this your first offence? If so i'd tell ebay they are not following their own guidelines.

Thanks,

Gary.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,199 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

When we believe a transaction has been completed outside of eBay, we’ll take the following actions:
    ✓ Repeat violations may result in a temporary selling restriction of up to 7 days.
    ✓ We may charge offenders for lost fees and apply an indefinite restriction to serial offenders.

Is this your first offence? If so i'd tell ebay they are not following their own guidelines.

Thanks,

Gary.

I just got that one as well.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • katy123
    katy123 Posts: 365 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Thanks,

Gary.

At no point was the transaction completed outside of ebay.
  • bxboards
    Options

Also worth bearing in mind that Amazon used to have a 'price parity' clause that forbid sellers 3rd party sellers on Amazon selling cheaper elsewhere.

In the T&Cs, but completely illegal.

So it saddens me, when folks just roll over and accept any nonsense a company wishes to put in them - especially when they are applied retrospectively.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure