Charged fees for something ebay perceives as being sold off ebay

Comments

• for a service it didn't perform

I'm not sure if Booker Dave is being witty.

You put the item up onto their server, used their bandwidth to put your product in front of buyers screens and they buy your item instead of competitors who pay eBay.
    Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
  • bxboards
    bxboards Posts: 1,711 Forumite
    Lisbon wrote: »
    If you sign up to a site or service you are (generally) bound by the T&Cs. If OP doesn't like the terms, then don't use the site. Millions of people are perfectly happy with their ebay experience - this forum tends to see those who aren't....

I suspect that this term and condition would fall foul of the Unfair Contract Terms Act

Personally I dis-like answers that essentially say if you don't like it don't use it - if everyone took that attitude the huge wins consumers have made from unfair parking charges, to PPI would have all been swept under the carpet.

The reason many businesses try it on, is that far too many people are willing to bend over, and take it up the [to be continued...]
  • mandy44d
    mandy44d Posts: 49 Forumite
    Don't eBay also own Gumtree so surely they can see if you were dealing with someone else via that to back up your story?
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    mandy44d wrote: »
    Don't eBay also own Gumtree so surely they can see if you were dealing with someone else via that to back up your story?

They don't need to see if the story is true, their T&C completely outlaw what they think the OP tried to do.

That said, if I were the OP and I didn't care about my eBay account, I would not be paying.
  • Thinking about other cases that have been raised here, I have to wonder just how legal this is under UK law.

If it was me and my case was righteous, I think I might be bending the ear of Consumer services, my MP and any fleet street ( yeah I know they're not there) journalist I could find that might have an axe to grind...

There's a story on a US forum, of a seller having an item taken down by eBay for a "vero" infringement. Even though it was eBay who took it down the seller got hit with a non refundable $150 FVF.
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Surely all this could have been avoided if OP had either listed the piano on Gumtree in the first place; or chosen to list it during a period when the maximum FVF is limited to £1? Could have saved a lot of grief.
  • katy123
    katy123 Posts: 365 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Brynsam wrote: »
    Surely all this could have been avoided if OP had either listed the piano on Gumtree in the first place; or chosen to list it during a period when the maximum FVF is limited to £1? Could have saved a lot of grief.

It was listed during the £1 max FVF, just ebay chose to ignore that too and slap on the full FVF.

It was listed on multiple sales platform.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Whether the message suggested fee avoidance or not (it does! You directly mention avoiding ebay fees!!) is irrelevant.

If you sold it on gumtree then eBay do not have a right to take a fee. I would question the legality of this too.

Good luck with this one though, as you will now have to take them to court. You will win, as the Gumtree transaction and emails are your evidence to show it sold elsewhere.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Throwing a semi defence of Ebay (I happen to think this is a ridiculous charge and would never dream of paying it in these circumstances). I don't actually think Ebay are bothered about the money they're more interested in getting rid of buyers/sellers who want to deal off Ebay.

It's a culture on Ebay that doesn't really exist on any other selling platform. I've never had anyone ask to deal off Amazon when selling there it's a regular occurrence on Ebay. Getting rid of that culture is not a terrible idea both for making Ebay a cleaner site and getting rid of scammers.

As for OP I'd contact Ebay on Twitter and ask why they have issued a charge for selling something that you had evidently sold on Gumtree.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary

Consider reporting them to the police/action fraud, after all they are trying to charge you for a service they didn't provide.
    Maybe Trading Standards might look into it if they've got a quiet week. It's hard enough to get the police to investigate a crime that has taken place. This is not a crime, it's a company chancing it's arm asking for payment for something they (wrongly) believe they are responsible for.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure